Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The more, the merrier?

• 02-05-2007 11:53am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Currently, there's between 10 and 12 of us sharing a 5 bedroom house. We got offered a good deal on it, but it still works out to $180 each per week (:eek: ). I'm reading reports all over the place saying "the more, the merrier!" in the houses. Do you have any experience of this? Is 12 enough, or should we bring more in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ah no, bring in a least another half dozen. Make the most of it while your neighbours wait to pluck up the courage to get ye all evicted. I'm fairly sure a rented property has a limit on the amount of people that can stay in it. (around 6) With 12 people staying I'd say there'd be a steady flow of people in and out of the house. In my experience this leads your neighbours to automatically assume your a drug dealer. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

We had 10 in a 4 1/2 bedroomer last summer. It was perfect. If you get on with the people then I would say then yes, the more the merrier. You'll find that there will always be someone to bounce off of, always someone just hanging out so if you want to just chill and shoot the breeze and also very handy when it comes to nights out where some people want to go one place and others want to go to another.

180 U.S is alot per week when you consider you'll be sharing rooms. We paid 70 Canadian a week last summer and that works out at about 50 U.S a week. What size is the house? Does it have some sweet featues like a big screen tv or a pool room.

I felt that 10 was th perfect number for our house and 12 for a 5 bedroomer would seem just about right. Anymore, and I think you'd have the feeling that you're tripping over bodies. Unless there massive, I think you should base your housing requirements on the notion of 2 to a room. I guess with 5 bedrooms you'd get away with stretching that to 12, but like I said, anymore than that and you'll find things like access to the cooker, bathroom, washing facilities, fridge space, storage space etc could become really stretched.

Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I lived 10 in a two bedroom, worked out fine. €50 p/w

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ah, the original house fell through because it was too expensive. Looks like we've got another place now though, 4 bedrooms at $65 each a week. For at least the first month, I think there's only going to be 10 of us, so it should be fine! The drop in rent is a relief!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭kavsmdf

Hey doing the J1 in San Diego too. We got a house a bit inland. Its a 6br and is working out at 67 a week between 12 of us. Pretty good. Where did you find the house? Finding it seriously hard to get anything anywhere near the beach for a decent rate with so many of us!

• Advertisement
Advertisement