Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband Settings

Options
  • 02-05-2007 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey,

Having a bit of trouble with the new NTL bb I got, I did have eircom 2mb line, but decided to upgrade to 3mb NTL. I had the eircom setup properly with the PPPoE settings, username, password, DNS etc etc.

However when I tried to use the PPPoE connnection type with NTL it wouldnt work, the automatically configured DHCP did work for a while, telstra cable settings also worked. The stop working after a few hours, and the router doesnt respond. I cannot even log onto the router interface. The only solution I can find is to plug out the router and plug it back in.

The internet will then work for a few hours until it happens again....

Can anybody offer any advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

TheJoker wrote:
    Hey,

Having a bit of trouble with the new NTL bb I got, I did have eircom 2mb line, but decided to upgrade to 3mb NTL. I had the eircom setup properly with the PPPoE settings, username, password, DNS etc etc.

However when I tried to use the PPPoE connnection type with NTL it wouldnt work, the automatically configured DHCP did work for a while, telstra cable settings also worked. The stop working after a few hours, and the router doesnt respond. I cannot even log onto the router interface. The only solution I can find is to plug out the router and plug it back in.

The internet will then work for a few hours until it happens again....

Can anybody offer any advise?

NTL is not PPPoE, it's just a straight forward Ethernet [LAN] connection. You won't want to use your Eircom router for this. Best bet is to get a cable router [a router with a WAN port not aDSL port on the back]

For testing purposes, you can just plug in the network cable from your NTL modem straight to your computer and it should just work, since your PC is setup for DHCP. You will want to turn on your PC firewall first but note, hooking it up this way is not the recommended practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

As you found out you don't need PPPoE settings for your cable modem. Your router needs to be set up to receive its WAN IP address from the cable modem using DHCP.

Now if after a couple of hours you can't connect to the router that sounds more like a router problem than a cable modem one. In fact you can probably verify this by just disconnecting your cable modem from your router and you should still be able to connect to the router. How are you connecting to the router? Are you using wireless or wired?

By the way if you ever need to look at the config on your cable modem you can get to it at http://192.168.100.1. You can typically log in as root/root. (At least this works for my cable modem, might be different for other models I suppose).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Some models don't need a login as there is nothing to change.

Note unless a router has a WAN port, it can't be used. I know of no DSL router that has a WAN port, other than the DSL Modem RJ11 Port, no RJ45 ethernet.

Similarly a real "Cable router" is a Cable Modem and Router in one box. Router with out any Modem built in and one WAN ethernet port is simply a router, though Argos does call them Cable Routers.

If you are using an ADSL router, it is likely it is just as a switch, which is a bad idea.

For comparison of difference of ethernet and Modem routers
    Broadband WAN routers, no modem: See
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10282
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10274

ADSL modem built in to Router:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10289

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Basically the modem/router supplied to you by Eircom is designed for use with dsl broadband - thats broadband over the phone.

For ease of use you need a router without a dsl modem such as http://netgear.co.uk/wireless_firewall_router_wgr614.php but that is just one example of many.

there have been many threads on here about getting the Netopia to work with NTL and some people seem to have got it done but if you are not teccy minded a 'proper' router might be the easier if more costly option.

Some people seem to get a Netgear router from NTL when they are connected did you ask them about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭TheJoker

Sorry if I didnt explain it better...Ill try again.

I have disconnected the eircom netopia modem, thats no longer being used. I am using the NTL motorola modem supplied by NTL, when using this with no router the internet works fine. The router is have is the linksys WRT54G, its either the firmware or the settings within the router that are not configured properly. Ill have a look later to see if the firmware needs to be upgraded.

So with the linksys router should I leave the settings as automatically assign DCHP or use telstra cable. Or is the linksys router compatable with the motorola ntl modem?

Sorry if its a bit long winded...

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I have exactly the same modem and wireless router as yourself, and I'm on NTL.

They are both plug and play. Leave the default configuration on both and they work fine.

Leave the Linksys on "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" (in 192.168.1.1)

And ensure the Motorola router is set to "DHCP Server Enabled" (in 192.168.100.1)

That's all there is to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭TheJoker

cast_iron wrote:
    I have exactly the same modem and wireless router as yourself, and I'm on NTL.

They are both plug and play. Leave the default configuration on both and they work fine.

Leave the Linksys on "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" (in 192.168.1.1)

And ensure the Motorola router is set to "DHCP Server Enabled" (in 192.168.100.1)

That's all there is to it.

Hmmm....maybe I should upgrade the firmware then.:confused:

Advertisement