Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cocktail cabinet

• 02-05-2007 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I'm looking to buy an old cocktail arcade cabinet, not too fussy about the condition, don't need any controls, screen or internals, just the cabinet.
    Will collect from anywhere in Ireland.

Looking to do a mame restoration project. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Hi,

You would be better off just making one from scratch,download the plans and make one,you can even get full scale plans,just mark and cut.Buy the time you locate a cab, clean,strip,repair it.you would have one made.

The other option would be Ebay Uk,but shipping would be expensive.you can also get flat packs from the Uk but cost from £300+ just for wood only.

Make one its the only way...Try BYOAC.com check it out if you havent allready.

Cheers Mitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,268 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Some show up on here and adverts.ie for sale from time to time. Wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out on a regular basis.

I've been meaning to get one myself for a long time now. Was going to go down the build your own cabinet route, but I really would like the real deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 bombjack2

Been looking on Adverts allright, not seen any.

One option is to import from the UK, http://www.arcadewarehouse.com/, based near Doncaster I think. But it works out expensive for shipping etc.

I may yet go down the building route, but for authenticity the original would be best

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thats just it, to build a purpose made cocktail cabinet, pop in a modded xbox, arcade controllers, a usb keyboard and trad xbox controller in side, mount a nice light lcd tv under the perspex.
    It'll be lighter and more versatile than a "proper" Jamma cabinet.
    And indistinguishable from an original, if made correctly.
    It'll also play the entire catalogue of Snes, Nes, Megadrive and PCEngine games, if you have access to that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 bombjack2

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Thats just it, to build a purpose made cocktail cabinet, pop in a modded xbox, arcade controllers, a usb keyboard and trad xbox controller in side, mount a nice light lcd tv under the perspex.
    It'll be lighter and more versatile than a "proper" Jamma cabinet.
    And indistinguishable from an original, if made correctly.
    It'll also play the entire catalogue of Snes, Nes, Megadrive and PCEngine games, if you have access to that sort of thing.

I think the key words here are 'if made correctly', not sure I would have that much confidence in my woodworking skills, also you would have to get metal feet made.

Has anyone found good plans for the irish style cocktail cabinet? All I found were the plans for the squarish american style one, don't like this design.

If I got very good plans I would consider having a bash at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

irish style cocktail cabinet? didnt know they made any,I have 2 williams cocktails,defender etc if you need measurements,you are more than welcome to come out and check them out,but you would want to be quick,going in to storage soon before my big move...

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

I'm about to list one on adverts--60 games cocktail side by side-no coin mech

http://www.adverts.ie/1036840

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Hey,

Its a Cocktail that got me started into Mame and arcades.
    Used to play on Cocktail and Standups in Arcade in Coolea in Cork 25 years ago. Loved it and about 5 years ago was talking to owner of the shop with Arcades and said man Id love to get hold of one of those old arcades he had.

And he was like sure I still have one in garage out the back, u want it :)
    It hadnt seen light in 20 years, all glass top was smashed to bits, buckets of rust in the legs, inside filled with dirt and grime, loads of glass. So brought it up in back of Ford Focus :) Its even power on but cudnt amke out picture.

Actually very easy to restore one, well I Mame'd mine, redid The CP and put mirrored glass top on it, my fav part, when its off, its a mirror but turn it on and light is allow out of top but not vice versa.

Its nothing special, but means alot more knowing i played same one 25 years ago and it was I that rebuilt it. Keep same wood top, lucky it still had bezel,
    CP lights up, bottom metal work all repainted by hand and had to sandblast rust of legs 50e.

All in all I love it and actually looks fine in sitting room. :)
    Id recommend restore as was so easy.
    14 inch PC monitor without casing even fitted into old brackets it came with,
    Great for Vertical games, but loses half screen for horizontals games, but how bad.

Check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK0hzOA17WA

Kev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Holy old thread batman.
    For anyone maming ar restoring a cabinet, I'd highly advise keeping the CRT where possible, the gaming experience if far superior than using a modern LCD/LED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Kudos for restoring that cocktail cabinet. Sounds like a real labour of love and the results look excellent.

Space Invaders on a cocktail cabinet is one of the very first games I remember playing as a young lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Serious Zombie thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Holy Crap alright, I didnt notice this started back in 2007
    Thought it was a fresh thread :0)

I have loads pics of my last 2 builds, really got to throw up 2 threads with full blow by blows on here and arcadecontrols forums. Especially showing Cocktail when it was in bits, Always mean to do it, but trying to find the time is a killer.

I still gotta finish my upright, its the ROMs I have are killing me, Full Set v131 really old at this stage, and load of old greats dont load like Sunset Riders\Shinobi\WWF and such.

Time to get that sorted with more stable ROM set and finally get back to getting HyperSpin working fully :)

Advertisement