Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone RTG Upgrade Credit Halved* !

• 02-05-2007 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭

if your not aware of this, you will be now. vodafone use to give €80 credit with any upgrade (could be new phones too) payg phone. but now if you buy any phone under €99 you only get €40 credit.

just taught i'd post this up.

edit - this happened about 3 weeks ago.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

( . )( . ) wrote:
    if your not aware of this, you will be now. vodafone use to give €80 credit with any upgrade (could be new phones too) payg phone. but now if you buy any phone under €99 you only get €40 credit.

:( , I was going to upgrade a speak easy phone next week.i think i mght just leave it.I think o2 is the best so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

O2 Give €80 Drip Feed when registering a Speak Easy handset online.

Shredneck wrote:
    O2 Give €80 Drip Feed when registering a Speak Easy handset online.

yeah, vodafone are just taking the piss now.They are too expensive and now they reduce credit.what are they playing at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

And they've taken away stop the clock, while it's still available in Germany, where it even includes calls to landlines.

And they've taken away stop the clock, while it's still available in Germany, where it even includes calls to landlines.

What was stop the clock?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

Vodafone ireland and vodafone germany are two different countries, with different competitors, and germany would have more users. theyre not going to have the same offers everywhere.
    VF-I still have the free texts/weekends though, and the credit system is similar to the one Meteor used before.
    stop the clock was where you pay for three minutes and the rest of the hour on the phone was free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

this is true but their tariffs got a hell of a lot better in the last few weeks. they're nearly at meteor level now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

CV, do you know what way meteor operate as regards their upgrade system, ie can you buy a new payg phone every 30 days and reg it for the credit?

i know with o2, you can buy as may phones as you want reg them all the same time and the credit for each phone is added to your account at a time.

with vodafone, you have to reg a phone every 30 days and the credit is applied on that date every month, ie you could have 6 phones reg'd over the last 6 months and be getting €60 on the 3rd of the month every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

( . )( . ) wrote:

In the last few weeks, Voafone have finally become competitive. They are now matching 3 and Meteor with some of their tariffs. i was about to change to o2 when they introduced the new price-plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

yup, i noticed the new tarrifs last week ro so too, and switched.

i used to be on vodafone leisure which was essentially.
    Vodafone & Landline
    50c peak, 15c off-peak, text 13c
    To O2/Meteor
    65c peak, 30c off-peak, text 13c

Now its
    49c peak, 19c off-peak, text 11c

or going on the anytime package
    49c anytime to O2/Meteor/3
    15c anytime to Vodafone&Landline

The actual side effect of this particular combo of price plans would be this.

Due to the much better Split tarrif option, particular people move individually to Vodafone due to the much better non-Vodafone tarrifs.
    Once there, they will urge / convince other friends and associates to move to vodafone for even more savings for both people ( since the new tarriff would then undercut the likes of meteor even )

Nicely done :-)

• Advertisement

JNive wrote:
    Now its
    49c peak, 19c off-peak, text 11c

or going on the anytime package
    49c anytime to O2/Meteor/3
    are you sure about this? why would anyone pick the anytime tariff if its simply the peak tariff at all times with a 4c saving off vodafone evening calls :confused:

meteor's anytime tariff is 20c to everyone or 5c calls to meteor and 20c to everyone else

Chaos_Path wrote:
    Vodafone ireland and vodafone germany are two different countries, with different competitors, and germany would have more users.

On Vodafone CallYa in Germany, which is what Vodafone calls their PAYG offering there, you can choose between either having the cost of all calls to Vodafone and landlines capped at 39 cents (e.g. you can yack away to your any landline or anyone on the Vodafone network for an hour and still only pay 39 cents for the entire call), or alternatively 5 cents per minute calls to Vodafone and landlines. Unlike here, where Vodafone has the largest market share, in Germany they're only the second largest network.

I'd say that might have more to do with it than the size of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭detritus

Hi gang, a few things.

1. Vodafone still offer up to 80 euro call credit, this is based on the handset pack you go for and should be clearly identified in the store where you buy it. A 29 euro phone may well have different credit to a 229 euro phone!... pretty reasonable if you ask me. Of course, it doesnt suit folks who abuse the policy for upgrades, change their phone every few months, sell off the heavily subsidised handset and then just live off the free credit....

2. stop the clock is gone, but as previous posters have pointed out, there are other offers and the recent response on tariffing and pricing have responded to a very clear customer demand, long may it continue.

3. Vodafone (Ireland) now take laser cards online for topups, and on top of that, they offer 20% free credit if you top up by 20 euro or more, so its back to the old free money gig.

4. Germany is Germany, I recently had a package shipped from germany, by express post it was 10 euro to send to me, and 40 euro to send back. its the economy of scale, its a big, wealthy country. lots of supply and lots of demand. Its like comparing apples with oranges really... lets talk about buying a VW or mercedes in Ireland compared to Germany... come on folks.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

detritus wrote:
    Of course, it doesnt suit folks who abuse the policy for upgrades, change their phone every few months, sell off the heavily subsidised handset and then just live off the free credit..

Abuse ? I don't think so. Taking advantage of a generous upgrade method is what it is. Up to now Voda have been quite happy for it to continue.

parsi wrote:
    Abuse ? I don't think so. Taking advantage of a generous upgrade method is what it is. Up to now Voda have been quite happy for it to continue.
    exactly. vodafone don't care if you use the phone you buy. the reason they offer the credit is to keep-you on the network so it's serving its puropse

detritus wrote:
    Of course, it doesnt suit folks who abuse the policy for upgrades, change their phone every few months, sell off the heavily subsidised handset and then just live off the free credit....
    if poor vodafone feel they are being abused, i'm sure they'd change their upgrade system... oh hang on, they did;

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53169154&postcount=1

:rolleyes:

detritus wrote:
    4. Germany is Germany, I recently had a package shipped from germany, by express post it was 10 euro to send to me, and 40 euro to send back. its the economy of scale, its a big, wealthy country. lots of supply and lots of demand. Its like comparing apples with oranges really... lets talk about buying a VW or mercedes in Ireland compared to Germany... come on folks.

Sounds like you are making an argument for Ireland to join up with Germany, since it will make everything better. I just don't buy the fact that Ireland is not a wealthy country, and I'm not talking about paying a few percent more for mobile services. In many cases, we pay a multiple. That can't be right.

As far as buying a car here versus Germany, the main reason it is much more expensive here is VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax), which doesn't exist in Germany, not the fact that we are a smaller (but in my mind still a wealthy) country.

( . )( . ) wrote:
    if poor vodafone feel they are being abused, i'm sure they'd change their upgrade system... oh hang on, they did;

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53169154&postcount=1

:rolleyes:

In my opinion, I would much prefer to pay full whack for handsets, and instead pay more reasonable rates for calls.

In my opinion, I would much prefer to pay full whack for handsets, and instead pay more reasonable rates for calls.
    well i buy a phone every month and i don't use much credit, so i never have to buy credit, it suits me.

i usually sell the phones for little or nothing

( . )( . ) wrote:
    well i buy a phone every month and i don't use much credit, so i never have to buy credit, it suits me.

i usually sell the phones for little or nothing

thats what i usually do. It works out better for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

( . )( . ) wrote:
    CV, do you know what way meteor operate as regards their upgrade system, ie can you buy a new payg phone every 30 days and reg it for the credit?

No... You have to purchase a given ammount in Credit befor they will apply the ugrade credit. (Used to in or around €140) Used to be If you rang them They'd tell you how far you have to go to hit the target..Not sure bout now, havent rang them in a while..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

Vodafone's new upgrade system is like so:

Buy a phone for €99 or less, registered it in the store or online, get €40 upgrade credit
    Buy a phone for €109 or more and register it as above and you get €80 same as before.
    And you can still register a phone every 30 days while I think the other network's make you wait 90 days between upgrades.

They just lowered the credit for the cheaper phones, probably to get more people to buy 3G compatable phones and use the Vodafone Live 3G features.

JohnnieM wrote:

No... You have to purchase a given ammount in Credit befor they will apply the ugrade credit. (Used to in or around €140) Used to be If you rang them They'd tell you how far you have to go to hit the target..Not sure bout now, havent rang them in a while..
    hasn't been like that for a while now. its the same as the other networks now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

(News to me)..Thanks for the Update..Commander

Maddzy wrote:
    Vodafone's new upgrade system is like so:

Buy a phone for €99 or less, registered it in the store or online, get €40 upgrade credit
    Buy a phone for €109 or more and register it as above and you get €80 same as before.
    And you can still register a phone every 30 days while I think the other network's make you wait 90 days between upgrades.

They just lowered the credit for the cheaper phones, probably to get more people to buy 3G compatable phones and use the Vodafone Live 3G features.
    with o2, you can buy as may phones as you want reg them all the same time and the credit for each phone is added to your account at a time.

( . )( . ) wrote:
    with o2, you can buy as may phones as you want reg them all the same time and the credit for each phone is added to your account at a time.

Is there a limit on vodafone pay as you go as to how many phones you can upgrade on the account, as you mentioned theres not a limit with o2.

How many phones do you guys NEED? :/

How many phones do you guys NEED? :/

Im just asking as im a phonaholic. :)

drdre, you register a phone every 30 days on vodafone, so you could say buy 3 phones today but you'd have to reg them in 30 day interval's, or just buy a phone every 30 days then register it when the 30 days past from the last one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

Nah with Vodafone you can upgrade as many phones as you want but it has to be one phone every 30 days.

Advertisement