Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What else can they add to cars?

Options
  • 02-05-2007 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭

I was thinking recently about all the gadgets and new technology car companies are increasingly putting into their newest cars, but I think it has come to a point where there are no more really innovative things to add to intice people to buy.

I mean we have,
    Sat nav
    In car displays/movies
    Memory seats
    Computers telling you tyre pressure/oil levels, engine status etc.
    Climate control
    Radar (mercedes S class)
    Advanced engines
    Keyless ignition
    Cruise Control
    Bluetooth
    And lots more

What else is there to add? When all of the above filter down to regular family saloons (if they haven't already) - how else will car manufacturers entice people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Could do with a toilet for the kids on long jouneys :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I won't be happy until I've got heat seeking missiles and a HUD on the front windscreen.

Won't turn off your foglights eh? Click... Boom!

Even a CG simulation would do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Better drivers!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Automatic pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Didi merc put head up display in the latest s class?? that is mucho cool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rovi wrote:
    Automatic pilot.

Thats coming, roads with lane sensors and the car kept between the lines while following a GPS-type programmed route. Kick your shoes off and read the paper? No thanks! :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ah yes any year now Knight Indrustries Two Thousand will start mass producing cars.................... I hope turbo boost comes as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I've a much simpler request: reliability. And it would be free.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Enygma wrote:
    I won't be happy until I've got heat seeking missiles and a HUD on the front windscreen.

Won't turn off your foglights eh? Click... Boom!

Even a CG simulation would do!

Fog detectors?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

sandwich toaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

mike65 wrote:
    Thats coming, roads with lane sensors and the car kept between the lines while following a GPS-type programmed route. Kick your shoes off and read the paper? No thanks! :eek:

Mike.

It's here. Honda have it as an option on their Accord. It's not a fully automatic system, but it does nudge the wheel in the right direction to keep you on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Hover conversion kit would be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

wings ! ..... bye bye M50 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

how about something to tidy up phone chargers abd bluetooth chargers. its a bit messy at the mo with a cable for the phone charger and a cable for the bluetooth charger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

A cracker of a bird which will give a blowj0b when your stuck on the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

How about a link to the GPS system that will slow the car down (or at least warn you) when you hit a new lower speed limit?

Edit: already mentioned in this thread

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

buzzard wrote:
    A cracker of a bird which will give a blowj0b when your stuck on the M50.

:D:D

I rekon the best thing that they could put into cars would be either/all:

Fridge
    Vending Machine
    Massaging Seats
    completey collapsable seats (so the front ones AND back ones can be turned into a bed
    ATM machine
    McDonalds
    Eddie Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

HUD was pioneered by BMW in a mass production car, it's available on the 5&6. Auto Pilot was pioneered by the Darpa Challenge in the States, and put into a standard car designed for mass production (But never actually made) by Opel.

Some of the cooler tech in the past few years has been Night Vision, Radar Cruise Control, Self Parallel Parking, and although it's very controversial - Run Flat Tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

BAH!!!! We have too much **** in our cars as it is, i like the creature comforts,

Leather
    elec everthing
    nice 3000cc+ pulling your arse around

thats all i'd look for.

anything that mess's with the driving aspect of the car is too far.

My da has a 06 S-Class merc he's been tryin' to sell for a while now and it has everything, fupping computer 'n all, imo anything that takes the driving out of driving is a bad thing.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Could do with a toilet for the kids on long jouneys
    Like this ya mean???

ToiletCar.jpg

A for Rag-Top lovers!!!!

toilet04.jpg

Lets not forget 4X4's

bumper-dumper-car-toilet-seat.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭highdef

Wing mirrors that dip when you select reverse gear. Automatic headlights and wipers. Automatically dimming rear view mirror - handy features!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I always liked the oscillating heater vents on the LS430, I see they've dropped them from the LS460.
    I also like heated/ventilated seats, hot or cold air.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A chauffeur

oh yeah! adaptive cruise control is the business! a bit scary the first time you use it, but amazing. keeps set distance between you and the car in front, so if they slow down, so do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

anyone got any thoughts on the new bmw auto start stop system, seems like a good idea from a "green" point of view, but, i personally have a pessimistic view of it at the min, i can forsee alot of people stuck behind a broken down 5 series because of a blown fuse or something similar:rolleyes:

Would have doubts about the longevity of the starter motor, unless they've uprated it. also would find the constant stop starting annoying. it's not noticable on the Prius as it doesn't use a conventional starter motor, so there's no audible cranking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

colm_mcm wrote:
    Would have doubts about the longevity of the starter motor, unless they've uprated it. also would find the constant stop starting annoying. it's not noticable on the Prius as it doesn't use a conventional starter motor, so there's no audible cranking.

Looks like a big start motor:-
    http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007/03/bosch_startstop.html

I'm surprised they are not commutating the alternator (using it as a motor) to start the engine...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Wing mirrors that dip when you select reverse gear. Automatic headlights and wipers. Automatically dimming rear view mirror - handy features!!!!

......most high end cars have had all of these for about 8 years !!

I recall the Fiat Regatta had a system that would switch the engine off if it idled for a certain period, 20 seconds, and then restart once the clutch was depressed an 1st gear selected !

Now whatever about BMW but for an early 80's Fiat, the last thing you wanted to do was switch the motor off when it was running !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭highdef

Yeah, current car has those features, bar the auto wipers. Last car also had the auto dimming mirror and auto dipping mirror and that came out in 1994!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

bigkev49 wrote:
    Didi merc put head up display in the latest s class?? that is mucho cool

I saw a programme a couple of years ago when someone built his own and installed it on his car. He used the front cover of a CD as the screen.

Advertisement