Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone USB Modem debacle

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

My data and voice accounts are separate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

With something like this always ask for a team leader - get their name - team leaders are better at resolving problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

buddy wrote:
    With something like this always ask for a team leader - get their name - team leaders are better at resolving problems.

You would think! But it was a team leader who told me unequivocally that under no circumstances could I return the modem to any shop other than the one that I bought it in in Galway....I pointed out that it would cost me at 150€ not matter what way I travelled to do that in order to be refunded 129€ and he essentially retorted 'tough'.

Of course it was utter tripe and I walked into the first Vodafone shop in Grafton St and had my money in my hand in less than 5 minutes.

It was my impression from then on, that no-one within that organisation is singing from the same hymn-sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I just remembered something. When I got my data card from Vodafone, I was also told there would be no roaming charges in the UK and N. Ireland. Luckily I never made it to N. Ireland since getting it. And the minister for communications at the time was sending out emails how Vodafone had completely abolished roaming charges, which also turned out to not be true, or at most only partially true.

Update: I have now changed over from using direct debit to manual payments, just in case Vodafone try to pull anything funny.

I just remembered something. When I got my data card from Vodafone, I was also told there would be no roaming charges in the UK and N. Ireland. Luckily I never made it to N. Ireland since getting it. And the minister for communications at the time was sending out emails how Vodafone had completely abolished roaming charges, which also turned out to not be true, or at most only partially true.

Yes, indeed, many were told this. A friend of mine ran up huge bills while calling me on iChat while in the north, again because of what he was told and because he is on the original unlimited plan. But he screamed louder than me and had the lot refunded.

• Advertisement

Update: I have now changed over from using direct debit to manual payments, just in case Vodafone try to pull anything funny.

A very wise move, I count my lucky stars that I lost my wallet and all credit cards last October! I couldn't have stopped them taking my spons otherwise.

Actually I haven't been quite as clever as I thought as a result of losing my main number of ten years after this charade.

Some people tried to contact me last night but couldn't: they finally got me this morning to ask if they could fly me somewhere in Europe tomorrow to cook a special dinner for a European supermodel and actress who was in Love Actually but who-shall-remain-nameless. I kid you not.

But by the time they got me, the party had secured the services of A.N. Other.

I think the words 'scheisse' and 'arsch' spring to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Hire someone to keep calling Vodafone on your behalf until the issue has been resolved. :D

Seriously though, I don't know what I'd do in your situation, but I would be very, very mad, after all they have just made it personal. And I would think of something to do. Nothing illegal of course.

Well, I haven't finished with them yet. Just not much chance of anything happening this weekend.

Well, well: In the immortal words of 'The Hollies' (60s beat combo, Manchester) -"Here I Go Again"

(From Vodafone Customer Care)
    Thank you for your reply.

I have reconnected your mobile phone number 087Voice Number today and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.
    Your other number, 087Mobile Data had been disconnected since 20.03.07
    and so it was thought that your original email dated 02.05.07 had
    included 087Voice Number is your disconnection request.(sic)

I have also applied a months rental credit for 087Voice Number and you
    will see this on your following bill.

If you have any further queries please contact us anytime on FreeFone
    1907 and one of our Customer Care Representatives will be happy to
    assist you.

Yours sincerely

• Advertisement

To which I replied:

To the Vodafone Customer Care Team:

I refer to your letter below and your subsequent reactivation of my number 087 Voice Number.

I appreciate that there may have been some confusion about the number to which I was referring but on the other hand, the subject of my eMail was "Mobile Broadband Account" and in addition, you could have rung me to clarify. The last time I spoke to one of your people in the Credit department they assured me they would get back to me, but like so many times before, no-one followed up.

I cannot be expected to remember the number of a non-voice account that I had for 28 days, 5 months ago but I did use your description of it to identify it. This Mobile Broadband number has been the origin of all recent problems on this account. It was this which caused you to place a one-way bar on 087 Voice Number followed a week later by its termination. There were no grounds for me to ask for termination of 087 Voice Number and no compunction upon you to agree and waive any termination charges. Would that getting out of a contract could ever happen so easily.

087 Voice Number is not and never was my Mobile Broadband account.

I am aware that the other number (087 Data Number) was disconnected in March since that was as a result of my intervention and my calling you to finally get it done. It should have been disconnected in January when I handed back the modem and requested such disconnection in writing by FAX to you as instructed by one of your agents in one of your shops.

The reasons for my first letter were twofold: waive all charges pertaining to the Broadband account (087 Data Number) as these were incurred as a result of misinformation: take the bar off my main voice number which is being penalised as a result of the unpaid but unwarranted charges on the Broadband account.

In any case, I have been massively inconvenienced and out of pocket as a result. I had to change my email address and active voice number because of your action. A week ago I missed a call from the actress Cxxxxx Sxxxxxx as a direct consequence of the loss of my number and lost out on a lucrative engagement on the Bank Holiday weekend. This is unacceptable.

Despite all my calls and despite this recent exchange of emails, I find that I STILL have an excessive charge of over 400€ directly pertaining to the Mobile Broadband account which I had believed from your correspondence to be finally eradicated. I received a new paper bill the same day you reactivated my voice account and the balance is still showing online in 'My Bill'.

If this bill is not wiped entirely and something a little more generous than one month's line rental offered for all this incompetence and the inconvenience which I have had to suffer, then I am afraid you may terminate 087 Voice Number for good.

with best wishes,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Has the idea of researching the product your going to buy gone out the window??
    Let me help you down off that horse of yours, for it's quite tall. It's not reasonable to expect someone to leave the shop to go and check out some websites to see if what they were told (as part of a legally binding contract that is about to be formed) was true/accurate! Just 'coz you're l33t and au fait with mobile broadband and roaming, doesn't mean most people are.

Eamon, bless your patience.

cgarvey wrote:
    Eamon, bless your patience.

Thanks! I fear it might be, like my hair, wearing thin.

Advertisement