Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo County Library

Options
  • 02-05-2007 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Don't suppose I'll get many replys but..

Is anyone a member of the sligo town library? What are your thoughts on it?
    Was in there the other day and couldn't get over how poor it was... it's so small! and hasn't been updated / redecorated in years. I know there is talk of a new building but I can't see that happening for a good few years.
    Not to mention the book collection is very poor. I seem to see the same old books there the whole time! And I think 10 books is to much to let people take out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The new building is badly needed. There are plans to develop that whole quarter along with the Niland Gallery.

The current library is very poor in fairness as is the Museum!

Tubbercurry have a fantastic new library if that's any good to you!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Gillie wrote:
    The new building is badly needed. There are plans to develop that whole quarter along with the Niland Gallery.

The current library is very poor in fairness as is the Museum!

Tubbercurry have a fantastic new library if that's any good to you!?

Oh does it? How big is it? Although I do know size isn't everything.. ;)

Madge wrote:
    Oh does it? How big is it? Although I do know size isn't everything.. ;)

Ahem. Lets try and stay on topic Madge!:rolleyes: ;)
    It's PRETTY big. On your left as you enter the town from the Sligo road.

Only a couple of years old!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yes the library in Sligo is completely disastrous. Didn't know the maximum amount of books to withdraw at anyone time is 10. That seems a bit high (didn't know the library had that many books). It should probably be lowered to about five at the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

they have a pile more books in storage in the back (the part that used to b the childrens section) i remember asking for a book that it said on the computer that it was there so the librarian brings me out and she went into the other part and sure enough the had it. The building is the problem. it could do with a complete overhaul but as they're building a new one they've put off stuff. Looking up to the roof at the stephen street side looks nasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I love the Tubbercurry library, so clean and bright. Quite a good selection of books, about 12 computers and great staff. (and I don't work there!)
    If there is ever a book, cd or dvd you are looking for you can always order it from any library in Ireland (if they have it) through this website: www.borrowbooks.ie and they will deliver it to your local library.
    I was in the Sligo town library a few weeks ago, its very grotty and depressing, it'll be great when they build the new one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If thet ever get round to it.

Gillie wrote:
    Ahem. Lets try and stay on topic Madge!:rolleyes: ;)
    It's PRETTY big. On your left as you enter the town from the Sligo road.
    Only a couple of years old!
    Yeah it sounds good, must visit it when I get a chance :)
    JIZZLORD wrote:
    they have a pile more books in storage in the back
    I think this just illustrates the inadequacy of the place. There shouldn't really be any books at all in storage! They should be available easily to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

If you go into the Model Niland, on the wall by the restraunt is a big display of the new development. Looks a bit modern to me, I'd have prefered something in keeping with the current building.

Anyway architectural criticism aside, it looks to be going ahead next year. So new library 2009 or 2010.

Yeah I read about it in the paper, I think it looks very modern too

• Advertisement

Does any one have a link to it or be able to put up a picture of it as I won't be any where near the Niland for quite some time.

I don't know, but there's pictures in this weeks Sligo Champion newspaper

I won't get a chance to look at that either. I'll be back in Sligo at the weekend but I'll be on the beer for the lot of it :) Typical student :D

Oh :D you doing exams then?

No I'm on work placement down in Dublin now. I've been living miles out and had to get a bus into the city centre at 7 every morning :( So going out was impossible but I Found a place to live and it's a bank holiday weekend so piss up :D:D:D:D:D:D Some of my friends are doing exams. Poor b@stards.

No I'm on work placement down in Dublin now. I've been living miles out and had to get a bus into the city centre at 7 every morning :( So going out was impossible but I Found a place to live and it's a bank holiday weekend so piss up :D:D:D:D:D:D Some of my friends are doing exams. Poor b@stards.

I know how you feel about commuting. I did a work placement too and had to get buses and it was the worst thing ever!
    But it's not forever and it'll be worth it when you get your qualification :)

Here you go

Madge wrote:
    I know how you feel about commuting. I did a work placement too and had to get buses and it was the worst thing ever!
    But it's not forever and it'll be worth it when you get your qualification :)

I found somewhere in the city to live but it's still a half hour on the dart to work. Which is better than my current commute but not like Sligo where work was a twenty minute walk away. I'm doing software development though and the vast majority of jobs are in Dublin so once I finish college it looks like that's where I'll be. I'll miss Sligo.

Gillie are those meant to be pics of the new library because the second one is of the Niland and the first one couldn't possibly fit into the site of the library.

I'm doing software development though and the vast majority of jobs are in Dublin so once I finish college it looks like that's where I'll be. I'll miss Sligo.
    I know, there's nothing in this part of the country for graduates absolutely nothing :(

Madge wrote:
    I know, there's nothing in this part of the country for graduates absolutely nothing :(

I know it's the worst as I really like Sligo. Maybe sometime in the future things will pick up. But I fear at that stage most of the things I like about Sligo will be gone.

• Advertisement

Gillie are those meant to be pics of the new library because the second one is of the Niland and the first one couldn't possibly fit into the site of the library.

Actually no!:confused:
    It just mentions a New county museum and Civic square due to open in 09!
    No mention of a Library.

Gonna have to look into this again....

Well what ever the second picture is, it looks pretty cool.

It's nice alright.
    A Civic Square where ppl can hang around and stuff!
    Drink Coffee. Discuss Art, History etc!

A good move!

Where about is that meant to be.

At the rear of the Niland Gallery.
    There is a Carpark there at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Iompair wrote:
    If you go into the Model Niland, on the wall by the restraunt is a big display of the new development. Looks a bit modern to me, I'd have prefered something in keeping with the current building.

Anyway architectural criticism aside, it looks to be going ahead next year. So new library 2009 or 2010.

Is that not the new museum that they have planned, as opposed to just a resturant?

Gillie wrote:
    At the rear of the Niland Gallery.
    There is a Carpark there at the moment.

Wow, it looks really cool.

That 2nd pic you posted Gillie, is that not the North West Hospice on the Mall?

Nope. That would be further up the road!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

The library isnt going behind the niland. it's going on that site beside the second hand bookshop.

Advertisement