Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Kennel Club

Options
  • 02-05-2007 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I'm currently doing some research on getting a dog and have a query regarding the registration of pedigrees. Most Dog breeders state that the dogs are registered with the Irish Kennel club but I have come across a few who have Irish Canine Club registration.
    For a complete novice like myself could someone explain the difference (if any) between these two Clubs and whether pups with IKC or ICC registration would be considered 'better' than the other.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

Hiya
    The most recognised for pure breed registered dogs in Ireland is the IKC -Irish Kennel Club. The ICC - Irish Canine Club is a newly established club. I'm not sure about it being honest. They are probably quite similiar but the IKC has more breeders behind it. Some breeders will even register with both.
    Hope this helped a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 boo-urns

Thanks for the info corkimp

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

your more then welcome :) Getting an IKC registered GSD pup this week can't wait!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

Just to note that an IKC registered dog may not be able to compete in events run by the ICC & visa versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭BeauZak

It's simple - The Irish Kennel Club is recognised worldwide the other group is not.

If you are purchasing a pedigree it should only be Irish Kennel Club registered. The Irish Kennel Club hold important breed information such as pedigrees, registrations of generations, bloodline info. Plus the Breed Secretaries sit with the Irish Kennel Club. If you wish to show your dog he/she must be IKC registered, if you wish to breed from your dog he/she must be IKC registered.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement