Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assessment and Logistics Office: Monkeys?

Options
  • 02-05-2007 3:00pm
    Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, I've been off boards for a while now, but I'm so enraged by the goings on of our favourite and most precious institution, that I am coming back for one last rant.

As some of you know, I'm a final year B&L student. This is the best degree in the country by a long shot. No other degree available at the moment offers the same scope as this course. However, it is not much use having the best degree in the country when it comes from the worst University in the world.

I have spoken out on many occasions with regard to my distain for how this place is run, and on many occasions, I have had the backing of most of you in that. Well, this is the last straw.

I can assure you that I will never recommend this university to anyone, and I will do my best to make sure that everyone I know, and as many people who I don't know will be made fully aware of the failures on behalf of this body that have led me to this conclusion.

I will not get overly bogged down in the vicicitudes of modularisation and the headache that this has caused us all, with probably no benefits whatsoever. However, it does bear some relevance to my annoyance.

I am a victim of the dreaded exam timetable. Now, on the face of it, it's not so bad; I don't have any exams on the same day.

However.

Firstly we waited far far too long for the timetable to appear in any form in the first place. Eventually, we were told a date for its arrival, which most people thought was far too late as it was. Ok. We got over it.

Secondly, when the due date came, we were told that it would be another week before the timetable was ready. Getting a bit annoyed by this stage, but we got over it.

Thirdly, the timetable arrived, and we were told in no uncertain terms that it was provisional and, effectively, that there would be changes made.

Fourthly, within a few days of arrival, changes were happening all over the place. Personally, I had two exams moved to entirely different places.

Fifthly, one of those that had previously been moved was then moved again.

None of this really bothered me in the least bit, despite the fact that the original timetable, which was about a month late as it was, had been completely useless - even as a rough guide to when your exams would be on.

So, the straw that broke the camel's back was this final, and disastrous sequence of events:

1. Yesterday, we found out that what had been the latest exam for most of us (30th May) was being moved to 15th. This caused absolute mayhem with a lot of people, myself included.

I actually seriously considered throwing the towel in altogether and taking up a job in a chip shop. The reason for this seemingly rash choice is this: the subject in question (Strategy Implementation and Formulation) is worth twice the marks (or credits) of any other module. Moving such a heavily-weighted exam from one end of the exams to the other is inexcusable. Considering there were no timetable "clashes" (though some people would have had to sit two exams on that day), there was absolutely no reason behind it.

2. This morning, an announcement was posted on Blackboard to tell us that the exam timetable online was mistaken, that the exams office had confirmed that the Strategy exam would take place on 30th.

Ok, that's annoying, but at least now I don't have to work in a greasy chipper for the rest of my life.

3. This afternoon, another announcement was posted on Blackboard thus:
    Blackboard wrote:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wed, May 02, 2007 -- An up-date in relation to the Summer 2007 Exam Timetable[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    It should be noted that the announcement posted on Blackboard earlier today in relation to BMGT 30200 Strategy Formulation & Implementation was incorrect.

Please note that the Exam Timetable is wholly managed by the UCD Assessment & Logistics Unit, of the Registrar’s Office, and that this office will be communicating directly to students in relation to this module.

Apologies for any confusion caused.

What the fcuk is going on? We might as well tear up our timetables and hedge our bets as to when our exams are on. UCD could try texting us on the morning of the exam to let us know what time and where they are on, and what subject.

I'm about as fed up now as I've ever been in relation to a single institution. I've never once in my life come across the level of frustration that is instigated by my attendence at this "University". The worst in the world. I would have been better off in the Hamburger University.

Anyone else?

[/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

that is bullshít to be honest, I'd be fuming as well. i think people were overreacting before but when it gets to this stage it is a bit ridiculous. One of my mates in Engineering (3rd) has had an exam moved back about a week, he doesn't really mind but you think that while making the revision timetable they could sort final years out first. To be honest, i don't really give a fúck what way they line my exams up, i'm prepared for them, and i wouldn't mind doing 2 exams in 1 day if it meant it would take some stress off a final year student.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

This is the best degree in the country by a long shot. No other degree available at the moment offers the same scope as this course.

O/t but ah now come on!

There was a big meeting about this just before one of my classes. I don't do that course but it seems to be very messed up.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Pythia wrote:
    O/t but ah now come on!
    Yeah yeah. My rant; my opinion.

I'll have a proper fight with you about that some day. Might as well sure, we fight about everything else. <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

the situation you find yourself in is disgraceful and is the typical crap i have come to expect from UCD admin during my time here

I'd be annoyed if it hadn't worked out better for me.

[edit] Its still on the 15th isnt it?[/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

That's terrible hulla :(

I may not agree with some points (i think moduliration is great, for me) but that is just plain shocking.

Left hand doesn't seem to know what the right is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I can assure you that I will never recommend this university to anyone, and I will do my best to make sure that everyone I know, and as many people who I don't know will be made fully aware of the failures on behalf of this body that have led me to this conclusion.

Ditto.

I actually recommended BnL to someone before christmas (reluctantly given the fuss with picking subjects this year) and she has it first on her CAO form. I will be getting in contact with her to let her know that I would seriously consider not doing the degree because of this fúck up of a 'university'.

BTW I think it now looks like there will possibly be 2 strategy exams. Apperantly Martin Butler has hinted at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

My understanding is that this isnt a problem with the admin changing its mind on a whim but rather two strong groups of students trying to apply pressure.

For anyone in general management, having it on the 30th is dreadful. They've 4 finals in two days, hardly fair.

Some people want it on the 15th just because it means they'll finish earlier.

Then there are those who just want as much time as possible to study, so having your exams at the end of the examination period is always great.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

My point doesn't necessarily relate to when exactly the exam is on. As I said, I've no exams on the same day etc. The point is that this should have all been determined before they brought modularisation in in the first place. There's no way the entire student body should have been waiting so long for a timetable that ended up being about as much use as an umbrella in an earthquake.

Also, this, as I said, is just the straw that broke the camel's back. There are plenty of other farces surrounding the administration of this 'university' to compound my ire.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Allegedly much of the complaints about the original 30th May timing of the strategy exam came from B&L students who were inconvenienced because their deferred exams were around that time as well. I think it's outrageous that anyone should disrupt the timing of peoples exams because their repeat/deferral offerings are interefering. First offerings should always be prioritised.

• Advertisement

Allegedly much of the complaints about the original 30th May timing of the strategy exam came from B&L students who were inconvenienced because their deferred exams were around that time as well. I think it's outrageous that anyone should disrupt the timing of peoples exams because their repeat/deferral offerings are interefering. First offerings should always be prioritised.
    Well, that's a part-truth. There were some complaints from some very silly people who wanted them to change the timetable to suit their deferred exams, but they were quickly shouted down by most of the rest of B&L and Commerce. No one thinks that's a valid argument.

Anyway, that's not the issue. There were no clashes, they shouldn't have changed the exam so close to them starting. If this had happened a week ago, no one would have said a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

If this had happened a week ago, no one would have said a thing.

It actually shows how little we have come to expect from UCD that there is little discontent (I did send an e mail to registrar a few weeks ago complaining but I don't know if anyone else even bothered) that if this had happened three weeks before our exams no one would have said anyhting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

What a crock of sh1t the UCD Logistical Operations have once again proven themselves to be. I am ****ed over by this change and would echo pretty much everything Hulla has said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

I only have two hopes from this:

1) That Martin Butler actually follows up on that and has two papers set and two seperate times to do the exam in. Otherwise this is a healthy sign of the sway students DO hold and a ****e indictment of how badly they're organised.

2) That UCD learn from the ****e they've given us this year and put the things they learn from their mistakes into practice next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I wouldnt hold my breath on that second one SS. After Christmas all the defending they did with regard to the mess that was Christmas exams was that they had learned from it and it would be better organised in the summer.

But eh... it's worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Its 11 days until the exams start and the timetable still isnt sorted. Complete incompetence. It wouldnt be accepted in any more accountable institution/body in Ireland. Imagine the uproar if the Leaving Cert was like this one year? And peoples finals are just as important as the LC...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Funnily enough, they could have sorted the timetable within 2 weeks of the term starting if they had felt so inclined.

In fact, they could nearly set the timetable for next year now, make it all nice and spaced out for everyone and then only have to make minor modifications to cope with modularisation screwing it up.

I refuse to accept that *three* exams on the one day is necessary for anyone (that's the current situation for a friend of mine). Science people in final year had 5 finals in 4 days or something along those lines. That's madness. 5 finals in 10 days would be ok. As it is, the last i heard on that was that science were doing their own timetable and the students affected were told to ignore the UCD one.

Admin are wasters. While it may be difficult to create a timetable, it's not that bloody difficult.

EDIT: Two of those three exams are on at the same time in different halls. Incompetence!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Do any of you fine people who sat the exam last May still happen to have the exam paper lying around (repeating due to illness).

The past exam papers for strategy Winter 06 and Summer 07 arent online, have contacted Bernard: just trying all avenues

Advertisement