Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband

Options
  • 02-05-2007 3:33pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey, just want to get some opinions on BB in Galway. I don't want to use a phoneline or NTL.
    Do I have options other than Irish Broadband? Digiweb?
    Anyway, what do people here use, price, speed, company etc.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Eircom ADSL through phoneline, so far so good. No complaints.
    Don't have a price but it's fast enough for me to connect to work through. Aprox 1 MB

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

I don't want to use a phoneline or NTL.

pretty sure it depends on where you are in galway, but there are a few wireless operators around who focus on specific areas.....

ahhh..can't remember the site that lists them. will post back when my brain unfreezes...these night shifts must end....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks for that, if you can remember it would be great. I live on Dominick st.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

IBB or Digiiweb Metro

Here's a list of Galway hotspots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

NTL 3meg is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Well if your near Dun Angus I've got mine shared out :D

Magnet is the best I've found and the most reliable.
    And since they've stopped the TV service my 4mb line went up to 9mb whohoooo for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

DRakE wrote:
    NTL 3meg is awesome.
    NTL's 6 meg is great too... when it works
    would be better still without the terrible usage limit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Eircom ADSL 2mb here, good but I find it drops for about 10 seconds maybe 10x a day. Could be router/cable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Fobia wrote:
    Eircom ADSL 2mb here, good but I find it drops for about 10 seconds maybe 10x a day. Could be router/cable though.

I have the same problem with Eircom but more than 10x a day.I find it goes through periods of being infuriatingly slow at intervals during the day too and that my torrents work very irregularly since I switched from a 1mb package with NTL.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I hate Eircom, NTL are dodgy now, plus I am not in, em, good standings with them.
    How much are the ones yee are using?
    Eircom have wireless?

Hmm, maybe digi or IBB it will have to be..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I use ntl 3mb and works fine, my if i have torrents going in the evening it does run slow but the net works perfect, but at night my torrents fly so only download then.

Billing question bout ntl I have it since December and have not got a bill yet even tho its direct debit from my account and ment to be every two months.Moving out this week so should I Walk in and tell them to cancel it or just leave it?

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well if your near Dun Angus I've got mine shared out :D

Magnet is the best I've found and the most reliable.
    And since they've stopped the TV service my 4mb line went up to 9mb whohoooo for free.

9mb? I thought I was still getting on pretty well with 2mb...although I suppose thats probably a good thing. I've enough over my caps already...

I use BT, not wireless so not recomendable in your case obviously but just as a note, I had to switch to them because I was also experiencing frequents dropping with Eircom.

Advertisement