Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

guard speed camera in phoenix park

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

i pass through twice daily and have only seen two crashes in 5 years..neither were serious.

I saw a 3 car accident 2 weeks ago and last summer I was the third car behind someone that hit a kid that ran across the road between parked cars.

I've absolutely no problem with speed checks in the park and I actually think there's isn't enough. As has been said there's kids, wildlife and cars all over the place on a busy day. I've seen some amount of idiots getting impatient and doing stupid overtaking moves on slower cars so I'd happily see these people get done.

Besides, during weather like this there's nothing better than having a nice slow drive through the park, there's usually plenty of eye candy to look at and you wouldn't want to drive too fast past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

40-50 kmh is fine during the day but, at night when there's no one around, driving at 50 seems painfully slow, especially as the road seems to go on forever!

But have you ever had the herd of deer jump out infront of you ? They usually cross the road at night and they're obviously not trained in the Safe Cross Code. A combination of driving too fast and the dark conditions is a recipe to hit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Good point, Jip, sounds like the lower limit is a good idea in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Jip wrote:
    But have you ever had the herd of deer jump out infront of you ? They usually cross the road at night and they're obviously not trained in the Safe Cross Code. A combination of driving too fast and the dark conditions is a recipe to hit them.

I've seen them waiting in the wings but never on the road. I suppose from that point of view it make sense.

• Advertisement

Yeah, all it takes is one to go for it and then all the rest just follow, regardless of what's coming and you just have to sit and wait until the very last one crosses, herd mentaility and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Judt wrote:
    The reason why the speed limit is so "low" in the Park (though watch what your Ford Mondeo can do to a person at 15km/h.....) is because it's full of pedestrians and wildlife. It makes perfect sense - just because you have a long straight road doesn't mean it should be a motorway.
    Yeah, exactly, it is after all a park FFS. If you don't like the limit, don't drive through it.

My father had a nasty crash many years ago at night on that nice straight road- a deer ran across the road without warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭vandermeyde

if you drive through the park regularly in the early morning or late evening you're guaranteed to have the odd scrape with the deer...primarily seems to be the young bucks and stags which do it so maybe they have their own equivalent of the juvenile adrenalin seeking boy-racer type...

Actually saw one run across in front of my car not so long ago, and duck under those iron rails which run along most of the footpaths down near the Chapelizod gate...never broke stride and had a full set of antlers so it was a pretty amazing site....

As a recreational user of the park with a young family it makes my blood boil to see people tearing up and down Chesterfield Avenue so the sooner they bring in the new traffic management rules the better....

The current speed limit in the park is a joke, it should be the same as a residential estate imho.

They're fairly brave aren't they. Was jogging early one morning and one went to run across the road at the OSI but a car was coming (a bit faster than the limit might I add) and amazingly the thing jumped over it ! Don't know how he managed to avoid getting hit, my heart was thumping just looking at it, I'd say the driver has messy jocks and the deer itself was probably just the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

someone did die as a result of speeding in the park on military road not long ago

• Advertisement
Advertisement