Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Access

Options
  • 02-05-2007 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

I am in the middle of setting up an Access database to record items being returned to us by our customers. I have the database set up but I have a few questions:

1) Is it possible to set up a table/macro so that when I input an article number in field # 1, that the description of that article number is automatically entered into field # 2?

2) I have seen in previous databases that I have used (not created) that when the database is opened, a form is opened automatically. How do I set this up?

3) Is it possible to reset the auto number of the primary key, or set the auto number to start at a certain number? I have used up nearly 20 records on various tests and things. I want to reset this number back to 1 or maybe start it at 4000 (we are currently using numbered paper documents for our returns) for when the database goes live.

Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

1) Is it possible to set up a table/macro so that when I input an article number in field # 1, that the description of that article number is automatically entered into field # 2?

The best way to do this would be to have a table of products/articles containing an ID, Description and any other relevant information. Then in the returned items table just list the article id as the only product information along with any information specific to the return. You can join these tables together using a query to use in forms and reports. Without listing all the therotetical reasons, populating fields in the returned items table with the article description would be horrendous database design. Drop me a PM if you need any advice on database design.
    2) I have seen in previous databases that I have used (not created) that when the database is opened, a form is opened automatically. How do I set this up?

Yes - right click in the top bar in the database window (not the main access window) and select the option.
    3) Is it possible to reset the auto number of the primary key, or set the auto number to start at a certain number? I have used up nearly 20 records on various tests and things. I want to reset this number back to 1 or maybe start it at 4000 (we are currently using numbered paper documents for our returns) for when the database goes live.
    This is possible - I've certainly done it before but it has been a while since I've used Access. Google "+reset +autonumber +access"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Thanks very much for your help stipey. It's only easy when you know how! :D

I have another question:

1) I want to run a query on records older than 30 days. I can run one for a date range and date's before and after a certain date, but I want to run one for all records which are older than 30 days. How is this done?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

answered in http://www.fontstuff.com/access/acctut06.htm
    Read through the whole thing - it will help you a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Thanks all... Im getting there slowly but surely...:D

I may have more questions later...

Advertisement