Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Hobbie/Part Time course

Options
  • 02-05-2007 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,

I'm looking to expand my horizons at the moment and looking to take up some new hobby/part time course to keep me occupied over the summer months.
    Can anyone recommend anything fun/interesting that is both sociable and cheap? Also, it must have a good ratio of females to males as most of my friends are males and i'd like to make a few new female friends. Not really looking for something sporty as i play soccer two nights a week.

Oh and in case it helps, I'm male and in my mid twenties.
    Any ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

cabbage82 wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm looking to expand my horizons at the moment and looking to take up some new hobby/part time course to keep me occupied over the summer months.
    Can anyone recommend anything fun/interesting that is both sociable and cheap? Also, it must have a good ratio of females to males as most of my friends are males and i'd like to make a few new female friends. Not really looking for something sporty as i play soccer two nights a week.

Oh and in case it helps, I'm male and in my mid twenties.
    Any ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated.

This is dublin city your talking about:D , Not much to do here besides get drunk on the weekends and eat out. All the clubs are either sports clubs, Martial arts clubs, special interest clubs, or old fogeys clubs like bingo clubs. You need to be a bit more specific in your interests and hobbies if anyone is to help you.

I know you said no sport but if you wanna meet people and have fun its about all there is, I recommend Joining a martial arts club or self defence course of some sort, Great fun and great way to meet people of both sexes. So unless you have an obsession with trains, Wanna hang around with geeks in games workshop, or wanna volunteer for concern i dunno...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Oh well, pity you don't want a sport.

I was going to point you in the direction of the Martial Arts & Self Defence forum.

Most martial arts clubs are great craic with a huge social gathering.

Mairt wrote:
    Oh well, pity you don't want a sport.

I was going to point you in the direction of the Martial Arts & Self Defence forum.

Most martial arts clubs are great craic with a huge social gathering.

Yup like I said, I Highly recommend a martial arts club

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Take up Poker,there is a great Poker scene in Dublin.

Dub13 wrote:

AHhh good one never tought of that, Pokers a great way to meet people but its also a great way to get broke, FAST.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dub13 wrote:

There is indeed, and Gamblers Annon when things go bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Photography?

Buy a decent film SLR for 100 quid. Something to show for your spare time too.

Photography forum on boards is quite active - We have regular meet ups, and are having a group stall at this year Peoples Photography.

There's a good few camera clubs in Dublin too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Dunno if you'd meet many birds at a poker club or a photography club? Am I wrong? I've never been to either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cabbage82

Cheers for all the advice lads.

poker - play regularly enough but is more of a close friends/work thing.

photography - hmm....interesting. Might do a bit of research into that.

martial arts - not really my cup of tea to be honest.

After further thought on the whole idea I think I might look at learning a foreign language or even, dare i say id, take up salsa dancing :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i second photomagraphamy

• Advertisement
Advertisement