Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Politics board general election poll-Which government do you want?

Options
  • 02-05-2007 5:35pm

Vote away.
    This is a once off and stickied.

Which government do you want ? 336 votes

FG+Lab
    0% 0 votes
    FG+Lab+Green
    21% 72 votes
    FF+PD
    37% 125 votes
    FF+Independents
    13% 45 votes
    FF + Labour
    2% 8 votes
    FF+Sinn Féin
    9% 32 votes
    Other - please specify
    6% 22 votes
    Atari jaguar
    2% 9 votes
    FF+Green
    1% 6 votes
    FF+PD+Independents
    5% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Can we make the votes public?

Would stop people voting early and often. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Wasn't there trouble before with people re-regg'n to vote more then once?
    (Not that it matters, Boards is a very small portion of society)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well the rule on the Politics forum is any duplicate accounts will result in perm bans if discovered.

Wasn't there trouble before with people re-regg'n to vote more then once?
    (Not that it matters, Boards is a very small portion of society)
    There was.

We might consider another public one later and close this one,then again we might not.

We'll see how it goes.

Polls are special occasion threads here only as the emphasis is always on discussion here as ye know.

Feel free to explain your positions in this thread as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Just like the media we have forgotten that there is a possiblity that we will have a FF + Green government.

It's time north county dublin had a Tanaiste. :D

That in reference to the PD candiate who thinks he has a chance of getting a ministerial post, some how I cann't see that happening even if we have a FF/PD government.

Also the Socalist party would like the following combination: -

LP/SF/GP/SP/INDO

A government with out FF and FG, now if only they can get the PDs to sign up :)

Who put FF/GP after AJ? I mean come on people.

• Advertisement

Added the FF+Green option there now as unlikely a marriage as it seems-though you never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

FF, PD's and Independents is a likely scenario too... its was the government of the 28th Dail from 1997-2002.

Blah blah should read post :(
    I don't see why FF + Greens are unlikely.

Thanks DMC added that option.

Thanks DMC added that option.

LP/SF/GP/SP/INDO what about that :) is that not an option :)

lol

• Advertisement

As stated in the title, if choosing other please elaborate what the issue is.

Elmo wrote:
    LP/SF/GP/SP/INDO
    I would really fear for the economy under that government. The scary thing is, it might be possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Elmo wrote:
    I don't see why FF + Greens are unlikely.

The fact that Trevor Sargent has said on more than one occasion, that he would resign as leader rather than let it happen, was a bit of a hint.

M&#250 wrote: »
    The fact that Trevor Sargent has said on more than one occasion, that he would resign as leader rather than let it happen, was a bit of a hint.
    His position on that is completely mickey-mouse. He has said that he won't be leader, but he will take a senior ministry in such a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

M&#250 wrote: »

I thought he said that if the two parties did go into Government together that he'd stand down as leader? I don't remember him saying that he'd not allow it to happen though. I think if it came down to it the Greens would take power through almost any route that presented itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭JerkyBoy

Can you add "political corruption" or "trust in leadership" as one of the options?

I'm sure a lot of people have been influenced in just the last few days on those very issues.

Option added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Responsible spending of public funds, i.e. stop wasting money on hair brained ideas and pointless pet projects. Also, related to this point, efficient management of all public services (especially Health and Education).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

McSandwich wrote:
    Responsible spending of public funds, i.e. stop wasting money on hair brained ideas and pointless pet projects. Also, related to this point, efficient management of all public services (especially Health and Education).
    What he/she said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Education, personally very important but I also think a lot can be done to improve the system as a whole, from primary school up. Really wish religion had been removed from the curriculum as opposed to made an exam subject! Don't see that changing with FG though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Is it not an Optinoal subject?

surely if you object so much, you could just not do the exam

What's Atari jaguar all about?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You forgot the most important issue of all: The Economy.
    Without it, we have no jobs, no money for public services, no safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

You forgot the most important issue of all: The Economy.
    Without it, we have no jobs, no money for public services, no safety.

Without public services like Healthcare, Education, Policing and Infrastructure we would be all half as intelligent, riddled with diseases and dying, getting murdered while people get away with it and not being able to move to place to place. Do you think an economy could function under these conditions? An Economy cannot function or survive with out any of these essential publically funded services so we know what really should be our priorities.

Healthcare number one for me. They manner in which we treat and care for our sick and dying represents us as a society, the non existent declining health service we have is damning indictment upon our society and government.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I simply don't see FF + Greens having the seats.

Greens haul about 10 needing FF to get 74 seats. They're on 79. They will lose far more than 5 seats and everyone accepts that.

I voted FG+Lab+Green because I think it's the best viable alternative coalition. I don't see FG+Lab getting enough votes, and I think the Greens would be more applicable suit the coalition and the country better than the PDs. (And they'd also have more votes).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Without public services like Healthcare, Education, Policing and Infrastructure we would be all half as intelligent, riddled with diseases and dying, getting murdered while people get away with it and not being able to move to place to place. Do you think an economy could function under these conditions? An Economy cannot function or survive with out any of these essential publically funded services so we know what really should be our priorities.

There is a valid school of thought of which I'd subscribe to that would hold that the health of the economy is what must be maintained while attempting to improve public services. Versus the school of thought that we should improve services as a priority and hold the general health of the economy as secondary.

Personally, I hold the first simply because without a strong economy you can't sustainably improve the public services. Unless you want to run a large budget deficit each term which is simply not a good idea in my book.

So could you please add the option for the economy in general to the poll. :) (Actually you've no more slots available I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The environment - everything depends upon that ultimately. We need to develop the country in a sustainable manner and sooner rather than later. (Don't assume I'm voting Green though - not sure about them at all :D)

I'm not too worried about health and education because, despite all the problems in these areas, Irish people living today are healthier and better-educated than at any other time.

simu wrote:
    The environment - everything depends upon that ultimately. We need to develop the country in a sustainable manner and sooner rather than later. (Don't assume I'm voting Green though - not sure about them at all :D)

I'm not too worried about health and education because, despite all the problems in these areas, Irish people living today are healthier and better-educated than at any other time.

I agree with you about the environment but you obviously haven't been to an A+E recently or tried to get one of your kids into a primary school :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I am with Bertie on this. "The Next Steps" for FF are becoming the opposition . It really is time for a change, so it's the rainbow for me. It might even do FF some good.

Advertisement