Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Slogan of Election 2007

Options
  • 02-05-2007 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Does what it says on the tin folks, who do you think has the most irritating / insulting slogan?

My personal hate is the PDs - "Don't throw it all away"

Mostly cause it's fairly condescending, as if giving the great unwashed a say is above the PDs...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'll second that.

I almost forgot about:
    "Bertie's Team" for relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

"Now, the next steps". Somehow this sounds empty, meaningless almost. A bit like Bertie himself when you think about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Well I think it's a suprisingly negative slogan which really highlights the overall strategy of the PDs... all the parties are being negative to some degree, but the PDs are by far leading the pack in terms of negative campaigning (telling the public what horrors the Greens and the "slump coalition" have in store for us).

Compare it to FF's "Now, the next steps forward" (which I don't really like but is quite positive), Labour's "time for a change" or "make a change" and FG's "Contract for a better Ireland", it looks very negative indeed.

It does have competition in the way of the Green's though - "It's Time". Terrible slogan in my opinion, sounds like they ran out of space on the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

I'll third the PD choice.

It's seconds away from "Arragh, it could've been worse"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

There's a "It's time for a change. Are you with us?" Labour billboard in Greystones.

Nothing wrong with the slogan, but the first few times I saw it from a distance I thought it was for Vodafone :eek: ... Red text on white, freetext number, red symbol thing in the bottom right hand corner...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Nothing wrong with the slogan, but the first few times I saw it from a distance I thought it was for Vodafone ... Red text on white, freetext number, red symbol thing in the bottom right hand corner...

true but if it had the Txt number it might get people out to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Elmo wrote:
    true but if it had the Txt number it might get people out to vote.
    The text back is just a link to their web URL, which is on the billboard anyway :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The text is just a link to their web URL, which is on the billboard anyway

They have a text no on the poster. I thought you were being sarastic. They are so down with the Youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How about the Shinners one "Others promise, we Deliver"... nice, as they break their promises (re: up the north) all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Also, notice on the back of the "Others promise, We Deliver" poster with the smiling Gerry Adams is "VOTAIL SINN FEIN X"

X? Recycling from the North, eh? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The Shinners recycle all their posters. They have the same exact posters used in the Euro elections for their Waterford based chap. They should be commended for their recycling efforts! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

flogen wrote:

Compare it to FF's "Now, the next steps forward" (which I don't really like but is quite positive), Labour's "time for a change" or "make a change" and FG's "Contract for a better Ireland", it looks very negative indeed.

I think the opposition parties have to be negative to an extent, you can't say "they did a grand job, but uh, give it to us now will you?" they have to give the impression that the government isn't doing their job right, otherwise why vote for FG and Labour? I'm not sure Labour's is very negative, its more voicing a lot of people's opinions, there are an awful lot of voters that are saying ten years of FF and PD government is too long.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I think the opposition parties have to be negative to an extent, you can't say "they did a grand job, but uh, give it to us now will you?" they have to give the impression that the government isn't doing their job right, otherwise why vote for FG and Labour? I'm not sure Labour's is very negative, its more voicing a lot of people's opinions, there are an awful lot of voters that are saying ten years of FF and PD government is too long.

That's true - but they can't be too negative either.

The FG "contract" thing, while a hackneyed ploy in itself, is a rather positive way to bash the Government - while the slogan itself offers nothing, it implies that they're ready to right the wrongs of FF/PD if let back into office. Labour's isn't as positive, but it's about as positive as they can be without copying FG or shouting "Get 'em out!!!!". They're obviously trying to frame "change" as a positive, while the PDs and FF are trying to say that change will be bad.

It is a balancing act for them - they have to combine the notion of both "they've let you down" and "we'll do you good" in one go - FF/PDs should be able to get by on their record (but given the situation they do have to nudge at the "You might not think we're great, but we're better than them" angle too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

"Together, lets take the next steps" - Fianna Fail

Hopefully the only next steps Fianna Fail will be taking is off a very very high cliff....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I think the "Bertie's Team" posters are very arrogant, as if there's no need to get into policy just rally behind bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

I think the "Bertie's Team" posters are very arrogant, as if there's no need to get into policy just rally behind bertie

Yeah, I drive from Rathfarnham to Tallaght every day and I don't see a photo of the dublin west candidate until I get to the Square, it's all Bertie before then.

That's a party with a serious lack of self-esteem in their candidates..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I absolutely hate the "Bertie's Team" posters, but the PD slogan is just so condescending...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

"Coimeadain an momentuim ag teacht" on martin cullens flyers awhile ago probably the wrost use of the irish language in history

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

flogen wrote:
    It does have competition in the way of the Green's though - "It's Time". Terrible slogan in my opinion, sounds like they ran out of space on the page.
    I actually think the Green slogan is very strong; in two words, it sums up how a) it's time for a change of government b) it's time that the environment is properly put on the agenda and c) it's time that the Greens should be back in power. It's not condescending, it doesn't make big promises and it sticks in your mind.

Another vote for the PDs for worst slogan though, by a mile. God knows what they rejected before they settled on that one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Anyone else think that Bertie looks very sad on the posters?

M&#250 wrote: »
    Anyone else think that Bertie looks very sad on the posters?

Guess he knows what's coming...

Or he just got off the phone with Judge Mahon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

the_syco wrote:
    How about the Shinners one "Others promise, we Deliver"... nice, as they break their promises (re: up the north) all the time.

at least they made that up themselves and havent spend fortunes employing american PR consultants (theres a vid on the rte news site about that - think it was on telly the other night)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Any one think that Enda Kenny is wearing a huge amount of make up in his posters and he is photoshopped to hell?

Bond-007 wrote:
    Any one think that Enda Kenny is wearing a huge amount of make up in his posters and he is photoshopped to hell?

If you want Makeup and Photoshop gone wrong, you should see Liz O'Donnell's posters in Dublin South. It's likely to cause a crash - and not in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Bond-007 wrote:

I thought he went to the same beauticians that Lenin got in the Kremlin! :D

The Green slogan is very very strong and particularly (wait for it) timely. :D

I hadn't seen/heard the Shinners one before but it is quite strong, they have a reputation for delivering in the areas where they are strong. There print material looks pretty cheap though with all the bright colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

"for a change"

especially the Safer Streets for a change

as if every time we walk down any street we get mugged

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

It has to be that PD line. It's such a poor attempt at scaremongering. Sickening.
    If you want Makeup and Photoshop gone wrong, you should see Liz O'Donnell's posters in Dublin South. It's likely to cause a crash - and not in a good way.

Oh god. She is one scary looking woman in those posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I though Enda Kenny seemed to be posed to look like John Wayne in his posters... wondered was there supposed to be a "there's a new sherrif in town" slant behind them!

Another vote for the PD's 'Don't throw it all away' unbelieveably arrogant.

Or one of their candidates: "Frank MacNamara - A real performer". Cheesier than brie.

Advertisement