Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Air flow meter

Options
  • 02-05-2007 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Well as predicted by many on here when I advised of symptoms, my broom broom needs an air flow meter.

It's a 00 Corsa. Would this be a main dealer job. The mech that serviced it said the manufacturer appointed workshop is likely to be the only place to go for a proper job or else Advance.

My dad is fairly handy under the bonnet, but would this be a no no job for someone who isn't a trained mechanic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

I don't know about Opels, but on most cars it's a fiddly job but by no means a dealer only one. VWs and Audis can just have it swapped out and take a while for the ECU to adjust, but after that they're fine. It's a delicate part so once you're careful it should be grand... Once again though, I don't know Opels that well, so maybe there's something else to it that does need a main dealer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looks simple enough

http://www.tuneparts.co.uk/prod/afm2.jpg

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

It is very easy to fit. The main problem you will face is finding one at a decent price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

ninty9er wrote:
    Well as predicted by many on here when I advised of symptoms, my broom broom needs an air flow meter.

It's a 00 Corsa. Would this be a main dealer job. The mech that serviced it said the manufacturer appointed workshop is likely to be the only place to go for a proper job or else Advance.

My dad is fairly handy under the bonnet, but would this be a no no job for someone who isn't a trained mechanic.

Whoever told you that you need to go to a main dealer to have this job done doesn't know what they are talking about. If the same person told you to go to Advance Pitstop for this, or indeed for anything else, they need their head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You could fit an air flow meter yourself in 10 mins.

@ Darragh - Advance have upped their game recently wrt vehicle diagnostics. Some branches are now service centres and they are a lot more capable than they used to be. I'm not a big fan of Advance, but they are progressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Darragh29 wrote:
    Whoever told you that you need to go to a main dealer to have this job done doesn't know what they are talking about. If the same person told you to go to Advance Pitstop for this, or indeed for anything else, they need their head examined.
    It was the receptionist of the place where I sent it to be serviced (a main dealer, just not Opel). Assuming I'm useless with cars, which I am, I presume she was only trying to be helpful.
    Then the foreman came along and told me I'd be looking at €180 + VAT for the part before fitting.He recommended Limerick Brakes too. Fairly sure he wasn't trying to shaft me cos he's a friend of my dad's and we know the manager.

Just as well I'm in the 0.00001% of students with a savings plan!!!

thanks guys. I presume getting the part in a scrapyard is a bit pointless because it won't show visibly worn??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quite so, but for the potential saving you might give it try!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

crosstownk wrote:
    You could fit an air flow meter yourself in 10 mins.

@ Darragh - Advance have upped their game recently wrt vehicle diagnostics. Some branches are now service centres and they are a lot more capable than they used to be. I'm not a big fan of Advance, but they are progressing.

I'm afraid its a case of a lot done, more to do.

Darragh29 wrote:
    I'm afraid its a case of a lot done, more to do.

I presume there was a double edge on that one:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ninty9er wrote:
    I presume there was a double edge on that one:D :D:D

Lets just take the next steps...............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

go to the parts guy & buy the AFM,ask the price and as he puts it on the counter say "any chance yi'd fit it for me?". Chances are they'll oblige and if its a main dealer knock off the fault light for ya as well!
    I did the following about a month ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I bought one for a Corsa last year, €75.00 from my local Motor factor, 5 minutes to fit and no need to rest the lights !

I don't have a dashboard light....should I??

Cheers for the replies

Advertisement