Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nokia n95 on vodafone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭wba88

Ok well ill have a look around some english forums and make my decision. thanks for the advice culabula

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

wba88 wrote:
    Ok well ill have a look around some english forums and make my decision. thanks for the advice culabula

If you're going that route, try and get one that was issued on O2 UK. Normally they are not locked, avoiding hassles along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

clearly you didnt read my post, i also asked is the xda orbit is a better phone, im looking for personal experience here mate. could have sworn boards was the place you get this kind of advice :rolleyes:

tabatha wrote:
    clearly you didnt read my post, i also asked is the xda orbit is a better phone, im looking for personal experience here mate. could have sworn boards was the place you get this kind of advice :rolleyes:

I did, and the second part of your question (which I am unqualified to answer) is pertinent to these forums -correctly seeking an informed, relevant, end-user-experience-based, opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Hi Guys, just back on topic..

anyone have any update on when N95 will be offered by Vodaphone Ireland??

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

i was told by vodafone today it will be "within the next 2 weeks"

take with usual bucket of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Thanks horgan_p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

I hear its available to order from tomorrow on vodafone, no other details yet though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

swalsh wrote:
    I hear its available to order from tomorrow on vodafone, no other details yet though

To really make use of the N95 you need to have a good data plan otherwise it is akin to having a Ferrari and only being able to use it on the M50 at rush hour. So it'll depend on Vodafone bringing out cheap phone data packages similar to Three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

To really make use of the N95 you need to have a good data plan otherwise it is akin to having a Ferrari and only being able to use it on the M50 at rush hour. So it'll depend on Vodafone bringing out cheap phone data packages similar to Three.

Exactly!

n95 wouldn't be worth the money on vodafone, would be like another other basic phone calls, music etc meant to be used like a laptop with wireless broadband

• Advertisement

my plans for it is more as a wifi device that i can put in my pocket , hoping for some form of terminal services client , mail ,web browsing.

i spend most of my time on clients sites so "on the go stuff " isnt really needed.
    some of my clients do have a need for an "on the go " mail client , so i'm hoping to make a few sales out of it as well.

well the n80 has wifi etc

didnt realise that.

ah well , the n95 is ordered now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

swalsh wrote:

Heya Swalsh, how do you know this? and is that online or bricks and mortar?
    thanks.

tw0nk wrote:
    Heya Swalsh, how do you know this? and is that online or bricks and mortar?
    thanks.

i was in a vodaphone shop today and its available from tomorrow on there network. carphone warehouse in liffey valley also had 2 of them today sim free but sold them, they were 709 euro. they said they are getting some more of them next week. the girl in vodaphone said that they were 400 euro i think bill paying, that was with the 99 euro a month bill and the phone went up from there the cheaper bill u got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

woah thats expensive, really not worth getting it on that price plan, i doubt any of the other networks will do any better either...

she said the 30 euro a bill per month plan would make the phone about 500, thats not to bad is it?

thats good in comparison to the 99 a month bill but still a lot of money

i was thinking of getting one today, do u think i would be better to buy one sim free? there seems to be so much involved with this phone! its very hard to decided/

well
    €400 + (12*99) = €1600
    €500 + (12*30) = €860
    With those two you get vodafone branding :(

Sim free approx €709 from 3G i think (can be found cheaper tho)
    No branding and factory unlocked so easier to sell on in the future and if u put a meteor or o2 sim in it it wont have vodafone written all over it

My Verdict: Sim Free

EDIT: and the extra €150 or €890 saved will sort your credit out for a year

• Advertisement

wba88 wrote:
    well
    €400 + (12*99) = €1600
    €500 + (12*30) = €860
    With those two you get vodafone branding :(

Sim free approx €709 from 3G i think (can be found cheaper tho)
    No branding and factory unlocked so easier to sell on in the future and if u put a meteor or o2 sim in it it wont have vodafone written all over it

My Verdict: Sim Free

EDIT: and the extra €150 or €890 saved will sort your credit out for a year

where is the cheapest/best place to buy one? thanks

this is the cheapest i can find on short notice

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-N95-Free-Mobile-Phone/dp/B000OGT1SM

your very kind, thanks for all you help and advice :)

no problem let me know if you get it. have a few q'sfor you then ;)

why do vodafone have them,, the one network i would never use :(

tabatha wrote:
    i was thinking of getting one today, do u think i would be better to buy one sim free? there seems to be so much involved with this phone! its very hard to decided/

I would check first just how crippled Vodafone have made it; if VoiP is absent or wi-fi, then a SIM-free job is your only man.

davton wrote:
    why do vodafone have them,, the one network i would never use :(

They can afford 'em.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

tabatha wrote:
    Voda lock down VoIP on the N95, that alone is a good reason to get sim free.
    Lash on your wifi in your own home (or not...) and your internet calls are free...

god's toy wrote:
    Voda lock down VoIP on the N95, that alone is a good reason to get sim free.
    Lash on your wifi in your own home (or not...) and your internet calls are free...

It made sense for me to get an N95 unlocked on O2 UK and pay nothing for it and thereafter the equivalent of 80€ a month -which is tantamount to paying for it monthly and getting zillions of SMS/minutes *as well* -not to mention cashback every four months. Sweet.

But getting locked into a contract with Voda IRL, paying 500€ or slightly less for the handset anyway plus 30 or more euro a month for an locked/crippled N95 is just nuts. Are we even sure that it's a 12 month contract? In this instance I'd plump straight for SIM-free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Sad to see tha Vodafone are ripping people off like this. You can get a N95 for about 450 Euro Sim free (inc VAT) in Malaysia now, so Voda really are trying to cream the public on this.

Advertisement