Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nokia n95 on vodafone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

hi guys, i bought the n95 today in 3g for 719 euro. i am trying to download the maps for the gps and it says i dont have enough memory. i havent even done anything yet! do i need a memory stick for this or am i doing something wrong. thanks once again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

tabatha wrote:
    hi guys, i bought the n95 today in 3g for 719 euro. i am trying to download the maps for the gps and it says i dont have enough memory. i havent even done anything yet! do i need a memory stick for this or am i doing something wrong. thanks once again!

Good idea to get a 2GB card. Have you got a data plan?

i bought the phone sim free, dont know if this is "data plan". i am new to all this! anyway, just remembered it wasnt telling me that the memory was full for maps, it was for another application i was downloading, but that was only 2.6 mb, cant the phone even hold that?

just read on another forum that there seems to be an issue with maps. seems like the newer version had something wrong with it and nokia have taken it down. i was clicking on the agree button to install the maps and it wasnt doing anything so maybe this is why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

150MB of internal memory

so why do you have to save the maps onto the memory card? i have also just read that you need to buy some software from nokia in order for the gps to work, is this true?
    sorry for all the questions :)

• Advertisement

tabatha wrote:
    so why do you have to save the maps onto the memory card? i have also just read that you need to buy some software from nokia in order for the gps to work, is this true?

the software makes it a voice turn by turn gps. its still works without it. what network you using it with? i would also say get a card, you need it for a phone like that to get fully use

i am using the o2 network. is it possible to save the maps onto the phone istead of a memory card?

tabatha wrote:
    i am using the o2 network. is it possible to save the maps onto the phone istead of a memory card?
    yes cant see why not

tabatha wrote:

That could end up very expensive if you don't get a data plan.

culabula wrote:
    That could end up very expensive if you don't get a data plan.

forgive my ignorance but what do you mean?

• Advertisement

tabatha wrote:
    forgive my ignorance but what do you mean?

You will be charged a lot on O2 IRL for casual browsing; you need to get some sort of "add-on" or "bolt-on" or whatever fancy term they have for it now giving you near-unlimited access. Otherwise they will rip you off. I believe O2 have some good new tariffs coming soon, in response to Mobile Broadband from 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Didn't I see a link to free maps somewhere in this thread? Use them not your network :)

just read the whole thread and there arent any links to other sites for the maps?

tabatha wrote:
    just read the whole thread and there arent any links to other sites for the maps?

Or are you using wifi to download the maps? Fair enough, but to use the GPS later on will require a data connection.

i am downloading the maps on my pc and then going to transfer them onto my phone. nokia seems to be down at the moment for maps and smart2go have taken it down. i did read a while ago that there are some technical issues with the new software for the maps and they have just upgraded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

culabula wrote:
    Or are you using wifi to download the maps? Fair enough, but to use the GPS later on will require a data connection.

I was under the impression that you could use the GPS without a data plan??

tabatha wrote:
    Cant find the thread now but this was the link in it (as saved in 'my favorites' folder)
    http://www.amazegps.com/index.php?page=home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

tabatha wrote:

The maps size is something like 180mb for all of Ireland. The N95 only has 150mb and needs that memory for doing its normal stuff such as going through the gallery, taking video / photos etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

culabula wrote:

So if you're roaming, and using GPS, you could rack up a large bill? I didn't think you'd have to use a data connection to use GPS (I'm not saying I read it anywhere, I just thought you'd be able to use it like any GPS device).

It it some form of GPS based on triangulation of cell towers then, instead of using the satellites?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

It can't be right that you need a data connection to use GPS. I'm presuming culabula means that you need a data plan to download the maps, not to actually use the GPS function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Sorry Guys, In my company we're after hearing that the Nokia N95 has been pushed back by vodafone and wont be available for another month or so.

Have people been told its available/available sooner than that??

i need to know, My gadget envy is driving me crazy!!!!!!!

Thanks,

delly wrote:
    It can't be right that you need a data connection to use GPS. I'm presuming culabula means that you need a data plan to download the maps, not to actually use the GPS function.

When I use it it frequently requests access to the internet to plan routes etc.it always asks you first and it always warns you that if you're roaming this may cost you more (not a problem with 3).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

This must all depend on the software surely? Im guessing if you use tomtom or other proper gps program it doesnt need to go online as it has built in gps receiver...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Sorry Guys, In my company we're after hearing that the Nokia N95 has been pushed back by vodafone and wont be available for another month or so.

Have people been told its available/available sooner than that??

i need to know, My gadget envy is driving me crazy!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Not sure about vodafone's case but it will be available pretty soon anyways, on O2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Not sure about vodafone's case but it will be available pretty soon anyways, on O2

I was told two weeks yesterday by an 02 reseller.

We have a good relationship with them so I see no reason why they would lie to me but again I'm only going on what he said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

that might have been the case a few days ago, however i believe its much shorter now, more a matter of days if even that

Locked out from making VoIP calls on Voda?... maybe not :)

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39118

Apologies if this is old news as it's dated Monday 23 April 2007....

Looks like the Nokia N95 is now available on Vodafone. Wa-hey!!

Hopefully getting it through work on Vodaphone, this is the mail

Hiya,

We've just been told the Nokia N95 is now released.

Upgrade and New Connection price is €318.85

Regards,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Looks like the Nokia N95 is now available on Vodafone. Wa-hey!!

Hopefully getting it through work on Vodaphone, this is the mail

Hiya,

We've just been told the Nokia N95 is now released.

Upgrade and New Connection price is €318.85

I presume thats ex vat. Prepay for

• Advertisement

Playing with the phone at the moment...WOW!!!

Advertisement