Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nokia n95 on vodafone

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

So, I got one today in Vodafone shop on Grafton St and confirm that it is totally unbranded, unlocked (have my 3 sim in it at the moment) and has all internet telephony settings intact (see my previous post and link)! €409 and not a voda splash screen in sight. Happy days.
    PS: comes with 1GB Micro SD card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Quinton, is that 409 ready to go or what? cheers.

biz upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

quintron wrote:
    So, I got one today in Vodafone shop on Grafton St and confirm that it is totally unbranded, unlocked (have my 3 sim in it at the moment) and has all internet telephony settings intact (see my previous post and link)! €409 and not a voda splash screen in sight. Happy days.
    PS: comes with 1GB Micro SD card.

Amazing and great news.....whatta price though!

It is a bit of a rip considering they are free on contract in UK, but I'm glad its unbranded! Did sim free's come with Kingston 1GB card?

• Advertisement

quintron wrote:
    It is a bit of a rip considering they are free on contract in UK, but I'm glad its unbranded! Did sim free's come with Kingston 1GB card?

Not initially but I think they did after the first few weeks.

Oh -check out two new apps for it: mobigenie and Movino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

culabula wrote:
    What do these applications do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭Basq

From a quick Google:

Mobigenie: answering machine application.

Movino: a collection of applications for streaming and broadcasting live video from smartphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭20LEgend

Hi,

Iam having trouble installing the nokia maps on the phone. I have downloaed them to my pc but when i transfer them to the phone and try to install them i get a message saying "update error". Am i missing something simple?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

...And after only a few days out of it's box the N95 is gone to Sandyford to be fixed... grrr.

Two of the blue LED's have stopped working (or working when they want to) and the sound now wile on a call is very over driven and distorted. (been told thats a common complaint)

But hey it's under warranty and I didn't even have to show them proof of purchase so all is good.

culabula wrote:
    Cheers for those links. Had them bookmarked! Used to use Total Commander? or somethnig with my old 6680 back when 3 were charging for voicemail. Does Mobigenie have the "beep" issue?
    Movino looks good. Might upgrade to the all you can eat tariff..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

god's toy wrote:
    Two of the blue LED's have stopped working (or working when they want to) and the sound now wile on a call is very over driven and distorted. (been told thats a common complaint)
    I have had the distorted sound on a call a few times alright, but are you sure that the LEDs aren't just responding to the light sensor?

delly wrote:
    I have had the distorted sound on a call a few times alright, but are you sure that the LEDs aren't just responding the the light sensor?
    Nope it's a fault as on the media player side of the phone only two of the four L.E.D's come on when all the keypad lights come on. After a quick reset they all come on but it doesn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

From what I can see on this forum, the N95 available from Vodafone is un locked. Does this mean that it's same as Sim Free phone bought anywhere? I'm seriously considering buying this phone as an upgrade costing € 409 from Carphonewarehouse. I certainly don't want to pay this money and have some of the functions unavailable such as VOIP Wi Fi etc.

When using GPS, do I need to be connected to Vodafone or is this only when I download maps to phone or mempry card for first time?

This phone can record video. Can it play video/dvd which has been loaded from pc. Of course, length of video would depend on size memory card.

Thanks for your help.

The voda upgrade I got at 409 was an unlocked sim free model with no features missing. internet telephony etc is all there untouched. You can essentially tell by looking at the box. If it doesn't say Vodafone anywhere on the N95 box you can tell its not a vodafone branded model. Use mapuploader to get your maps. U do not need to be connected to a network to use routing and gps. you will need to be connected to get points of interest and navigation features.
    Phone records video at 640x480, playback I'm not sure about. Never tried it. though it should in theory be able to play them back though you may need to reencode at a lower bitrate or use Media Studio For Nokia or the free SUPER, vdub etc etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

i just got my n95 today in cork.
    i can also confirm no branding - not sure about unlocked though (i dont have another operators sim to check)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

has anyone picked up a copy of the ready to go model at Eur599 with 80 euro credit? would this also be sim free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Just to confirm bought mine a week ago and it is unbranded, unlocked with all features intact.

I can use Fring www.fring.com/ to make VOIP calls using a number of providers - MSN, Skype etc (though it is worth noting that this is probably only cost effective on a free or home wireless network or if you have the 50 yoyo unlimited data package in which case you will be using your mobile as your access point)

I can use all IM

It is SIM Free

So all in all if you get in before they get the branded versions out you can buy it on upgrade for 400ish and flog it for 700ish and pocket 300 even if you don't want it.

Inqui

Inquitus wrote:

I can use Fring

Been looking at that, Is it really good or do the downsides make it so-so?

• Advertisement

try truphone. better than fring if u on a wifi connection. fring okay for backup.

Cool! Thanks for the tip :)

Advertisement