Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSOD on new build

Options
  • 02-05-2007 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭

Right first off

Asus Striker Extreme
    Conroe E6600
    2X1 gig stick of OCZ platinum DDR2
    Gainward 8800GTX

Put it all together and booted it up installed windows disk was badly scratched though and might have been a bad install ill do a fresh one but I dont thinks its that. About 20 mins after booting into windows the system will BSOD and restart or hand on the BSOD, It happens much much quicker if I run prime95. I reckon its the ram I read that the newer 680I mobo can be picky about ram and mine is not on the list of tested ram for this board!

But if anyone has any ideas it would be a great help.

Regards
    Marc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I'd go with RAM as well as initial culprit. Try going into the bios and increasing the timings of the RAM instead of relying on the SPD values if it is set to auto, start with one value higher than the stock settings.

Also disable any auto overclocking features in the bios like PEG link mode/booster whatever they call it.

Have you tried flashing the latest bios for the motherboard and clear the CMOS afterwords as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

marc, try this thread - it's fairly full of junk, but you might get something from it.

I'm waiting delivery of a striker extreme, qx6700 and other similar components to you so I'd be very interested in hearing how you get on.

8T8 is most likely steering you in the right direction. Suggestions to overcome this issue have been to get a stick of compatible ram, boot to bios and set timings for your other ram. You however don;t seem to be so badly off - you can boot to Windows.

I know little or nothing about ram timings so I'd defer to the expertes on telling you what to do.

I actually bought this ram after seeing a guy on that thread run it successfully with the striker. I'm hoping for no issues.

Good luck with it and please let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Also on the BSOD what is the cause of it .. should give you a DLL or possible other stack trace.. maybe its a dodgy driver?

Advertisement