Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of the title TD on posters

Options
  • 02-05-2007 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Is it legal for canidates to use the title TD on their posters? Am i correct in saying that a person ceases to be a TD upon the disolution of the Dail? The only party that uses this is the PDs from what I can see. Not even FF are mad enough to use the term TD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

Bond-007 wrote:
    Is it legal for canidates to use the title TD on their posters? Am i correct in saying that a person ceases to be a TD upon the disolution of the Dail? The only party that uses this is the PDs from what I can see. Not even FF are mad enough to use the term TD.

It's not just the PDs, but I wondered that myself.

I know Ministers continue to be so until replaced by Dáil Éireann, but not sure for the protocol with run of the mill TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I've seen it on various posters. The Greens, where they have TD's, say so on their posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Oirthir wrote:
    It's not just the PDs, but I wondered that myself.

I know Ministers continue to be so until replaced by Dáil Éireann, but not sure for the protocol with run of the mill TDs.
    Ministers continue in office until their replacements are appointed by the president. Bertie will continue to be Taoiseach until his replacement is elected by dail eireann and in the event of the dail being unable to elect a replacement he will still be able as Taoiseach to seek another dissolution from the president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The PDs use the word Senator on their posters for those standing for them that actually are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

But senators are still senators until a seanad election is called. This does not happen for a few weeks after the new dail meets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

E92 wrote:
    The PDs use the word Senator on their posters for those standing for them that actually are.

As does Sen. Brian Hayes of Fine Gael

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

All the parties do this as far as I can tell. And as long as I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, I don't see the problem. It's handy to know esp. when you're outside your outside your own Dáilcheantar and possibly not familiar with all the local politicians.

Advertisement