Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Mandate

Options
  • 02-05-2007 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Has the dual mandate for Dail and European elections been abolished yet? I see plenty of MEPs running in this election. Are they allowed to hold both if elected to the Dail?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Thought it was councillor and TD that you couldn't do together?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I'm sure, like councillors, they will co-opt someone into the seat.

I wonder did Liam Aylward and Gay Mitchell get away with it, as they are standing down as TD's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thanks for that DMC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

That is brilliant, I always thought that the scrappign of the dual-mandate was a brilliant idea, but I never realised that it applied to MEP-TD combos. I don't think that you can be a good MEP and a good TD at the same time,, and I never liked the idea of people holding both seats. Scrapping the dual mandate is one of the best thing that has happened in recent times to our democracy.

• Advertisement

Agreed.

Ian Paisley used to have a tripple mandate, MP, MEP and MLA all at the same time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Each MEP already has a sub MEP - in the cases of the major parties, the sub MEPs were selected at the original selection conventions before the European elections in 2004. So let's say Simon Coveney gets re-elected, then his sub automatically replaces him.

The rule is you cannot be a TD and an MEP/Councillor so these roles have to be relinquished on election to the Dail.

What will be interesting in 2 years time will be the effect of the dual mandate law on who runs for Europe.

Will we see unelected candidates or TD's who have lost their seats from this general election get a ticket to Strasbourg or will we see more county councillors get put up to a provincial profile, in the hope they can get a Dail seat next time? We certainly won't see any sitting TD's running for Europe again. In a tight numbers game in the Dáil (which will be the case at this general election), no one will be allowed to cause a by-election.

You can thank Noel Dempsey for proposing this law which was unpopular within a lot of parties in the Dail.

It is strange that Co-option is allowed for the replacement of MEPs.

Bond-007 wrote:
    It is strange that Co-option is allowed for the replacement of MEPs.

There are no such things as by-elections to Europe.

• Advertisement

DMC wrote:
    There are no such things as by-elections to Europe.
    But they would be so much fun. :)

And a waste of money. Say if Mary McGuinness gets elected in Louth, and a by-election is called for her MEP seat. We'd have to get the whole of the Ireland East Euro constituency (effectively Leinster without Dublin) to vote. Ballot boxes, polling stations, more election literature through our boxes...

I'm all for elections, but I can see that European by-elections are a non-runner!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

DMC wrote:
    You can thank Noel Dempsey for proposing this law which was unpopular within a lot of parties in the Dail.
    *Cough* PD policy *Cough*
    Well done on Dempsy for bringing it in. Who opposed the move?

Dempsey proposed it in the 28th Dail as Environment minister, when FF and PD had the support of Jackie Healy-Rae, Mildred Fox and co. They scuppered it. Ultimately, Martin Cullen brought it in in the 29th Dail when he was Environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

DMC wrote:
    Ultimately, Martin Cullen brought it in in the 29th Dail when he was Environment.

Martin Cullen did something right? :eek:

Advertisement