Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1080p & Sony Bravia

• 02-05-2007 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I recently bought a Sony Bravia 40" W-Series Full HD TV. Now i have it hooked up to the xbox through a component cable. It will go as far as 1080i but it wont go on the 1080p, Even though the TV says it can take it. Am i doing something wrong?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Bravia's won't accept 1080p over component and I think its the same for VGA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Dont worry, you wont get much if any of a difference between p & i unless your TV is 52" or bigger anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Nexus

Id still prefer to be getting the full whack of its capabilites :). Thanks anyway lads

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

man, 1080p must be one of the biggest jokes sold to the public in a loooooong time. So entirely pointless unless you're going bigger than 50'' and have a fantastic feed.
    Not knocking your box at all Nexus, a fine tv, just the hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Nexus wrote:
    Id still prefer to be getting the full whack of its capabilites :). Thanks anyway lads

Nexus,
    don't let it concern you........you are seeing a 1080p output even when only using 1080i with the W series..
    I've brought this up on a few threads before both in the PS3 and Xbox forums. 1080p displays by their nature are progressive...i.e. any input is automatically scaled to 1080 progressive output, that includes any source (even video). If you feed a 1080i input into the panel, it is left to the display to de-interlace the image. The image is effectively halted in order to "re-assemble" the ouput.
    Most of the 1080p sets out there do feature a very capable de-interlacer, with the Sony W and X series right at the top, along with some of the Pio Plasmas. Chances are the the TV de-interlacer is superior to the 360's scaler, and you are very probably looking at an identical image to what a pure 1080p signal would give you.
    This is part of the reason some people have differentiating between 720p and 1080p on high-end displays. The downside of course is that the inherent scaling nature of 1080p displays provide a less than perfect SD reproduction (but hey, you don't buy a 1080p display unless your pumping HD content into it :) ).
    The info button on your display will only indicate the input signal res (whether thats 480i, 576p, 1080i, 1080p), but all sources are scaled to the TV native res (in this case 1080 progressive output). 1080i inputs are very easy to manipulate in this case, as all the required image/info is received, just in interlaced fields........the W series has no issue de-interlacing this before final output..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I'm having the same issue on the 40w2000 tv goes blank when I select 1080p on the 360 but from what I've read here shouldn't be too bothered. Still I would prefer if it just did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

center15,
    I know some people have had success with 1080p over VGA with the W series.....its not officially supported (as far as I recall, a warning message appears on the TV but can be exited leaving 1080p output over VGA). That may have been with early release models, so I'm not sure if W owners are still able to do it. But I've always found VGA output slightly lacking the colour depth of component (VGA quality on the 360 has been hit and miss - largely depending on the individuals TV ability)..
    But as stated in earlier post, 1080i over component is being de-interlaced properly by the display..
    I know its nice to be able to see a 1080p info display for a lot of people, but I wouldn't fret about it.....if you really want to see it, buy a PS3, upscale via a HDMI amp or wait for the 360 Elite to be released over here..

Advertisement