Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL on and off all night?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

NTL Has improved over the last week or so. But had been very bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

No more excuses in this day and age it is an unacceptable service.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

A friend bought in dundrum and they all had the same problem, after many phone calls and complaints the eng came out - it was their boxes, they replaced them all with an old box and they have had no probs since. The Eng told her that there is a prob with ALL the new boxes! Dont know if this is our solution but they had the exact same problems as us. I was going to mention this to the eng when he called but as someone said ealier they told me to ensure someone was there 9-1pm, he never showed and they had to leave & guess what he turned up at 3pm!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

LMC wrote:
    A friend bought in dundrum and they all had the same problem, after many phone calls and complaints the eng came out - it was their boxes, they replaced them all with an old box and they have had no probs since. The Eng told her that there is a prob with ALL the new boxes! Dont know if this is our solution but they had the exact same problems as us. I was going to mention this to the eng when he called but as someone said ealier they told me to ensure someone was there 9-1pm, he never showed and they had to leave & guess what he turned up at 3pm!!!!!

Did anyone else have the problem where you can't see the scheduling coming up to midnight, or there are duplicate entries etc? The Sky box is just streets ahead from a usability point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

The NTL service is crap, alwyas has been and always will be.

The MMDS signal that they send out to charlesland is far too over stretched, and could be considered os a point in further objections to planning applications.

Nothing you do, say or try to do will improve the signal, the boxes are crap, constantly failing because of cheap hardware internally and crappy software that they've developed.

Saying that tho i just put my ntl card into my dell tv and it works a little better (built in digital decoder!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

matt-dublin
    The NTL service is crap, alwyas has been and always will be.
    You are correct! Crap service, that never comes close to the picture quality you get from satellite systems.
    Nothing you do, say or try to do will improve the signal,

Correct again! But be careful, remarks like this although 100% true will encourage people to suggest that you are "advertising". That is what has happened to me for daring to disagree with an other who (perhaps through lack of experience with cable companies in Ireland) have a different opinion to me! This is despite the fact that I have never sold a satellite system in my life, (although I did assist a friend to install one for free once).

This does not bother me though because tonight I will watch some crystal clear satellite tv in Charlesland!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Jesus, you guys must really have it bad in Dublin. Down here in Waterford,I have 5 TV's running from their analogue service and all are perfect. I have their basic Digital and think is very good for the money. Also have the 3mg BB package and always get over330Kbps form proper sites along with private torrent sites.

I took their phone service from them only this week and so far I cant find any faults with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I left Charlesland a few months ago and when I moved to a house in Delgany up the road I asked to have it transferred. Not sure why tbh as the service was so bad in charlesland.

Anyhoo I waited in for the technician (not sure why a technician was needed as I had all the gear from my last house) to arrive between 9 and 1 and when he wasn't there by twelve I rang to make sure he was coming and I was assurred he would be there before lunch. Didn't arrive so I rang again at three and was assured he would arrive before seven and to ring back then.....even though the lines close at six!!

The following morning I rang at 9 to see why he had not arrived and was told I wasn't even on their call out list....I was fuming and so just said I want it cancelled and I was put through to cancellations and a lovely reasuring woman who sympathised with me and seemed to have a clue asked me if SHE could manage to get a technician out today would I be willing to stay with NTL? I said if someone was definitly coming out today then I would and he would be there before lunch I was told he would definitly be.

At 3 I rang again and asked to be put straight through to cancellations to speak with that wonderful woman and see where Houdini from NTL was. I was told she is just on a call right now (even though I could her her whispering in the background!) and could this new person do anything to help. I asked where the technician was and she said she would phone me back straight away and let me know where he was and she assured me that she would not even take anymore calls until then. again no phone call.

I rang again the following morning and asked to be put straight through to cancellations and went through the poor girl for a short cut and told her I am sick of the appauling service and the fact that I spent three days waiting in and on the phone and was told they are very sorry and I will be sent out a refund for the money I had already paid.......I'm not messing I swear to God this is true....The F**king cheque bounced!! All sorted now but even when I hear NTL I want strangle someone!!

Sorry this was so long and well done to anyone who actually read the whole lot but its all relevant:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ToyotaF1

Foxy....well worth the read...good to hear that you can never trust these guys!

[SNIP]

Edit: TF1 please read the rules in relation to flame in the charter before posting again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rickoshay

Why don't you put your own satelite dish and decoder in your house, then you won't have to put up with NTL and you'l save a lot of money. Rte 1 and 2 come through a seperate aerial. Why have NTL dip into your back account and then in return give you such bad service? I'm away again for a couple of weeks but if have any questions I'd be happy to help any way I can as I too got stung by those B....rds!!!! when I return. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

We too have had enough with ntl and decided to go with sky. I rang ntl this morning to cancel my subscription (you need to give 30 days notice) and was immediately put through to customer service who asked if I would not prefer to have a technician sent out to me by the end of the week, replace my digital box and get 2 months free service. I have not made a single complaint to them (in previous houses, I've just had so many battles with them that I've given up!). So for all of you beating your heads against a wall with them, maybe just ring them and ask to be disconnected. THEN you may get someone willing to help you.
    We're still going with Sky though!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

ryecatcher wrote:
    We too have had enough with ntl and decided to go with sky. I rang ntl this morning to cancel my subscription (you need to give 30 days notice) and was immediately put through to customer service who asked if I would not prefer to have a technician sent out to me by the end of the week, replace my digital box and get 2 months free service. I have not made a single complaint to them (in previous houses, I've just had so many battles with them that I've given up!). So for all of you beating your heads against a wall with them, maybe just ring them and ask to be disconnected. THEN you may get someone willing to help you.
    We're still going with Sky though!!;)

tut, tut, shame on you...............what's the phone number ?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Aquos76 wrote:
    Jesus, you guys must really have it bad in Dublin. Down here in Waterford,I have 5 TV's running from their analogue service and all are perfect. I have their basic Digital and think is very good for the money. Also have the 3mg BB package and always get over330Kbps form proper sites along with private torrent sites.

I took their phone service from them only this week and so far I cant find any faults with it.

That's "proper" cable though, in Charlesland (which is Wicklow, not Dublin incidentally), it is provided through MMDS which is basically wireless cable. It seems to mean a poorer quality, not to mention no broadband.

eoin_s wrote:
    That's "proper" cable though, in Charlesland (which is Wicklow, not Dublin incidentally), it is provided through MMDS which is basically wireless cable. It seems to mean a poorer quality, not to mention no broadband.

So, suggestions as to what MMDS could mean

Made Mistake Ditched Sky ? Next.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

My Mentality is Dangerously Scuppered.....

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

I have had no RTE or and Iriah channels for the last few days, also channels mixed up in order...driving me mad at the moment. Anyone have the same?

MegFi wrote:
    I have had no RTE or and Iriah channels for the last few days, also channels mixed up in order...driving me mad at the moment. Anyone have the same?

Clicking the help and then reset button usually sorts this out but sometimes not.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

I spoke to the NTL Transmissions Mgr and also the local engineer for Charlesland this week in my ongoing crusade to try and get some customer support from them.

They said the transmitter for Charlesland was replaced the weekend before last and they did random testing of signals going into people's houses and said there was nothing below standard since thats been done.

Have to say my signal/reception's been a hell of a lot better recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

I finally decided to give up on NTL and get in Sky. Even spoke to my neighbor and he agreed to share the dish (yes it's possible).

I rang NTL to cancel my subscription and after been transfered around for a while, i got put through to a lovely lady who explained that NTL will have a PVR on offer in two months and if agree to wait for it, she'll give me the next two months free of charge. I held my ground and she offered to forgo the e50 installation charge.

Personally i've made my decision but may be of interest to those with issues

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ru....PVR? I've never heard of this...excuse my ignorance! What does this mean and what does it give you?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote:
    Ru....PVR? I've never heard of this...excuse my ignorance! What does this mean and what does it give you?

PVR is Personal Video Recorder (i think).

It's NTL's version of Sky+. You can pause live TV, and more importantly record stuff. NTL are offering 120GB hard drive which is twice Sky's; however its e7 extra a month which makes it more expensive than Sky (29.99 basic package) and you get less channels. My main point for mentioning this is that NTL seemed to be open for negotiation! I probably would have gone for it but I've bought my Sky+ box and the gear to enable me to share my neighbors dish.

IF anyone is interested in knowing about sharing dishes, ask and ill start a new thread (after i've got mine working!). Fortunately i work in the industry and know it's simple enough.... ish.

Sky don't apply for tenders and if they did, 16 premises can run off one dish with minimal loss of signal... it's a wonder why NTL exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Just to reiterate the impossible. NTL has actually improved. It crashes far less often now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

A place for everything and everything in its place.

Having had a look in this forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54 , it would seem to me that even this thread should be over there!

The simple fact remains that it doesn't matter what the fix is, it's not specific to Charlesland or Greystones, even if the only people currently interested are all based here. If they really want to know about the alternatives to NTL, they can go and look at the links Eoin provided.

That is the end of the discussion about where threads should go. I don't mean to come across as the big bad mod (even if Eoin thinks he's the good cop ;) ), but I've enough to deal with moderating local (and now county-wide) topics.

If anyone has anything else to say about the matter, PM me AND Eoin please and let's keep this thread on-topic.

All posts about the moderation of the thread have been moved to the Recycle Bin under Sys.

Please remember this thread is to discuss the issues experienced with NTL and the possibility of improving the service received. While we don't have a problem with the alternatives to NTL being discussed here, there are more appropriate fora to discuss how to go about getting those alternatives in place.

The mods are happy to discuss via PM the moderation of the board. If you don't want to discuss via PM, you may use the Feedback forum. This is the last time we will say this.

Just to reiterate the impossible. NTL has actually improved. It crashes far less often now.

Just when I’m about to get rid of NTL, my signal improves too....... bloody typical.

I read in the Cable/MMDS/IPTV section that NTL had upgraded the MMDS antenna feeding Charlesland. I tried to find the post again but couldn't.

I have to say, it is an improvement but in my opinion, it's too little too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 barkingmad

Apologies if someone has already covered this question - I have had a quick read over the threads and have not seen my specific query being covered. I too am completely demented with the NTL service but as I live in the apartments, I have been told that Sky is not an option as a satellite dish would have to go on the roof (I am not on the top floor - I'll keep paying the lotto!!!). I forked out on a top of the range tv and am SICK of the crap reception and continuous outages. Is anyone else here in the apartments, everyone seems to be in the houses?

barkingmad wrote:
    Apologies if someone has already covered this question - I have had a quick read over the threads and have not seen my specific query being covered. I too am completely demented with the NTL service but as I live in the apartments, I have been told that Sky is not an option as a satellite dish would have to go on the roof (I am not on the top floor - I'll keep paying the lotto!!!). I forked out on a top of the range tv and am SICK of the crap reception and continuous outages. Is anyone else here in the apartments, everyone seems to be in the houses?
    If your balcony faces towards the coast, is there anything to stop you putting the dish on your balcony? Either attached to the balcony or on the wall inside the balcony (so that it doesn't protrude from the visible structure).

Totally agree that there's no point in having a flash, top of the range TV with bargain basement input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 barkingmad

I'm facing the (boy racer) road :(

Is all hope lost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Question: mikedragon32
    is there anything to stop you putting the dish on your balcony?

Answer: mikedragon32
    If your dish needs to go on the front of the house it's verboeten, not just because your management company says so, but also because you do (in theory anyway) need planning permission to mount a dish to the front of a property.

You cant have it both ways!! Dishes on appartment balconies are an even bigger offence than mounting a dish on the front of a house!

barkingmad
    I have been told that Sky is not an option as a satellite dish would have to go on the roof

No a dish will even work when it is on the ground once it has line of sight with the satellite. For sky you need the dish to point south east approx. with nothing between it and the satellite.

If I were you I would talk to all the appartments above you all the way to the roof. A single dish mounted on the roof could be positioned so that it can not be seen and it would be able to feed multiple appartments. It may be possible to run the cables up through a service duct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Is this not an NTL thread?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement