Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting PC to XBOX 360

• 02-05-2007 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Right lads and lassies, before the abuse starts I used the search function here and have been on the xbox site and loads others. I think basically I must be a bit dumb or something because I cant solve this.:o

Problem is I just want to connect my pc to the xbox and stream videos etc. I have the xbox directly linked to the modem, and the PC is the same. I dont have Windows Media Centre, so not sure if that is the root of the problem. I did the set up thing on the Xbox but get stuck at the page where it gives you the access code thing (8 digit MAC I think). When I clicked share library on Windows Player 11 it recognises the xbox there, but when I go to connect it on the xbox it cant find the computer.

I really dont know what I'm doing wrong. I downloaded the tversity too and cancelled the share library on windows media player as I know tversity is better. I just want to be able to use it now!

I expect a flood of abuse for being stupid so I would prefer helpful replies!!:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I spent the last month trying to figure this out aswell, I'm on XP with WMP 11. After searching for hours I finally found a solution, you need to go to C:\documents and settings\all users\drm and delete every file in there. You have to enable hidden folders to see the drm folder. Then you just follow the instructions on the xbox.com site from begining again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

So when people talk of streaming movies to their 360s...do they mean divx movies or some other format ?

Is it possible at all to use your 360 as a sort of media centre like people did with their original XBoxes ?

The 360 only supports wmv files, but if you get TVversity you can transcode divx/xvid files and send them to the 360 in realtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

cheers. must have a look at it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Ciaran500 wrote:
    The 360 only supports wmv files, but if you get TVversity you can transcode divx/xvid files and send them to the 360 in realtime.
    It should support some other formats as well from next week.

Spring update

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

TVersity is a seriously good application. It may take some
    tweaking to get it set up and performing best on your system
    but it'll be worth it. I stream Divx/Xvid over my wifi network
    no problem and the quality is near DVD - but the output
    quality will depend on the CPU in your PC/laptop.

I believe TVersity are releasing a new version over next couple
    of weeks too.

TVersity forum for 360
    http://forums.tversity.com/viewforum.php?f=24

Useful guide for setting up tversity, this was created for
    the older version of Tversity, I believe the current
    version does not need a 360 patch as it's now included.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130160

Shout if you need any additional help.

Edited to add: looks like they released the new versin a couple of weeks
    early as it's out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 MarkPH

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I spent the last month trying to figure this out aswell, I'm on XP with WMP 11. After searching for hours I finally found a solution, you need to go to C:\documents and settings\all users\drm and delete every file in there. You have to enable hidden folders to see the drm folder. Then you just follow the instructions on the xbox.com site from begining again.

For some reason there is no drm file there. Maybe this is the reason why? Or should I be looking at manually opening ports to allow connectivity? Didnt think it'd be as much hassle!:(

Have tversity downloaded and have transfered video files over to that and they work fine. Seems a good set up and there is a walkthru guide someone posted a link to on these boards that is very good too.

MarkPH wrote:
    For some reason there is no drm file there. Maybe this is the reason why? Or should I be looking at manually opening ports to allow connectivity? Didnt think it'd be as much hassle!:(
    It could be just because of the different versions of Windows we're using. Did you enable hidden folders when you were looking?
    I wouldn't of thought you would need to open ports to access something on the same network.

Are you using a modem or a router to connect the PC/360 to the internet? Whats the make model?

Ciaran500 wrote:
    It could be just because of the different versions of Windows we're using. Did you enable hidden folders when you were looking?
    I wouldn't of thought you would need to open ports to access something on the same network.

Are you using a modem or a router to connect the PC/360 to the internet? Whats the make model?

Yeah hidden folders were enabled alright. Maybe it is differnet windows. I'm using XP on pc I bought last year. I am connected to internet with NTL, and have a modem that they supplied, not sure of the make and model (not at home now) but I assume they supply same everywhere.

MarkPH wrote:
    I am connected to internet with NTL, and have a modem that they supplied, not sure of the make and model (not at home now) but I assume they supply same everywhere.
    That could be the problem, it depend on what NTL supply you with. A standard modem wouldn't be able to pass the signal between them but someone who knows about the NTL modems will have to answer that for sure.

Is the PC hooked up by USB or ethernet?

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote:
    That could be the problem, it depend on what NTL supply you with. A standard modem wouldn't be able to pass the signal between them but someone who knows about the NTL modems will have to answer that for sure.

Is the PC hooked up by USB or ethernet?

Ethernet. Its just odd that the PC can recognise the xbox in media player. Thanks for the suggestions too!

Ok, I just found this on the xbox website so will try it later and see how it goes.

http://forums.xbox.com/12115906/ShowPost.aspx

My problem was that my pc found my 360 just fine, but the 360 wouldnt find my pc. Firstly make sure your 360 is on:

1) Double Click "My computer", Select Tools -> Folder Options.

2) In the Folder Options windows, select the "View" tab.

3) Select "Show hidden Files and folders", and UNcheck "Hide protected operating system files".

4) Hit Apply, Hit Ok.

5) Double-Click on your C drive. If you see a folder called DRM then goto step 7.

6) Double-Click the "Documents and Settings" folder, double-click the "All Users" folder.

7) Double-Click the "DRM" folder, Click Edit -> Select All. Then Delete.

8) Select Tools -> Folder Options.

9) In the Folder Options windows, select the "View" tab.

10) Select "Do not Show hidden Files and folders", and check "Hide protected operating system files".

11) Goto your 360, Select Music or Pictures, Select Computer, Select Yes, and hopefully your pc will now be found. If not, then your problem lies somewhere else. Sorry.

If you don't a have a "DRM" folder Goto Start -> Run , Type in "regedit" without quotes. Expand "HKEY Local Machines" -> Expand "Microsoft" -> Expand "DRM". Double Click on the file in the right side of the window called "DataPath". In the new window called "Edit Binary Value" it should list the datapath to your drm folder along the rightside, it will look kind of scrambled.

really bugging me now!

found the DRM folder but one file in the cache folder (indiv02) and another file (drmstore.hds) wont delete. Says it is being used by another program.

MarkPH wrote:
    really bugging me now!

found the DRM folder but one file in the cache folder (indiv02) and another file (drmstore.hds) wont delete. Says it is being used by another program.
    Disable file sharing in windows media player and close it.

so as it stands, I got the DRM file deleted, and closed the connection from Windows media player. Then I tried everything again, and again the media player recognised the xbox, but not vice versa. I have the pc and xbox connected with ethernet cable through netgear wireless router supplied by NTL. Really am stumped on this one.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

i have the same problem except the very first time i tried streaming with wmp between the xbox and pc it worked fine......went back a few hours and tried to stream again but it just stopped working......then i downloaded zune and it worked the very first time again and didnt work after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Spuddie

I've the exact same problem. Tversity worked when I first installed it, and after a few days it just stopped.

Tried all the above settings and still no luck. :(

Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

well, I've been trying to figure it out for about a year now, and I have media center.

Pain in the bum

question for anyone also -

I have my internet modem via USB to my pc, and a router to my xbox. when the router is switched on the modem doesnt work.

Ideas?

is it IP conflict / Subnet mask? I have no idea how it works...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Feidhlim wrote:
    question for anyone also -

I have my internet modem via USB to my pc, and a router to my xbox. when the router is switched on the modem doesnt work.

Ideas?

is it IP conflict / Subnet mask? I have no idea how it works...
    Let me get this straight. You have a broadband modem plugged into your pc and a telephone line plugged into the modem?

Does your router have an RJ11 (telephone socket) port? If it does then you just use the router and get rid of the modem. If it doesn't then you must plug the pc and xbox into the router and plug the router into the modem and the telephone line into the modem.

that would be nice, and I also tried it.

Wouldnt work. Unless you know exactly what to do to get BT BB working on the Linksys router (model WRT54GS)

• Advertisement

Spuddie wrote:
    I've the exact same problem. Tversity worked when I first installed it, and after a few days it just stopped.

Tried all the above settings and still no luck. :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Spuddie,

The fact it worked and then stopped sounds to me like your firewall/router
    may need to have a port opened for your private IP address.
    Unless you have your home network setup with static IP addresses you'll
    have to check to ensure the IP address for the PC/laptop your streaming from
    matches the IP address in your firewall/router settings.
    Have a look at portforward.com for a guide.

http://www.portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/TVersity_Media_Server/TVersity_Media_Serverindex.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Spuddie

Spuddie,

The fact it worked and then stopped sounds to me like your firewall/router
    may need to have a port opened for your private IP address.
    Unless you have your home network setup with static IP addresses you'll
    have to check to ensure the IP address for the PC/laptop your streaming from
    matches the IP address in your firewall/router settings.
    Have a look at portforward.com for a guide.

http://www.portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/TVersity_Media_Server/TVersity_Media_Serverindex.htm
    Tried everything that guide said but still no luck.

Cheers for the help though.

Sorry to hear that Spuddie... know when my router assigns a different IP
    address to my PC I have to change the firewall in my router so I just thought
    it'd be worth a shot. Take it you've disabled Windows Media Player's streaming
    as I know some people had problems with it turning itself back on after WMP
    upgrades.

Advertisement