Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF to drop Stamp Duty

Options

Comments

raven136 wrote:
    Vincent Browne tore Bertie to pieces

As part of Vincent's campaign to single-handedly change Irish society, or a new project?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Phew, talk about a U-Turn alright. Though funny to see government ministers saying "no no, it's what we'd planned to do all along." But minister, just last week you clearly said... "NO NO! That's not what I said!!!"

FF must really think they're in trouble, but we could all be screwed if they start throwing the sound foundations of our economy out the window just to win an election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

FF have made the sensible decision reacting to save the market. Unfortunately, other parties including the PD's kickstarted the stamp duty worries and it has an effect on the market. FF are acting correctly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

FF are not reacting to the market - they are reacting to negative publicity about allegations made against their leader in the run up to an election. They stated several times in recent months about how they would not unbalance the market by playing with SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

kbannon wrote:
    FF are not reacting to the market - they are reacting to negative publicity about allegations made against their leader in the run up to an election. They stated several times in recent months about how they would not unbalance the market by playing with SD.
    ...very true,Paddy Powers(not that reliable i know,but when did you last see a poor bookie)have installed the alternative coalition as favourites.Bertie is under severe pressure and influential journalists aint helping him.
    Who knows the sindo might back Bertie this sunday,now that he has reacted to their months of stamp duty reform campaigning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

ateam wrote:
    FF have made the sensible decision reacting to save the market. Unfortunately, other parties including the PD's kickstarted the stamp duty worries and it has an effect on the market. FF are acting correctly.
    If by market you mean opinion polls... Stamp Duty issue itself is more a political one, it'll be a good move economically. But if they start selling the furniture to pay for the house then we're going to be in trouble by the time this election campaign is over. They'll give away everything they want to govern to get into government.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Anyone know where I can get a listen of the launch with Vincent Brownes questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

irish1 wrote:
    Anyone know where I can get a listen of the launch with Vincent Brownes questions?
    Try the rte website,i got it live there this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

ateam wrote:

Only a few months ago FF announced a budget ,if in FF's opinion the market needed saving and this could have saved it.

Well the last budget was the time to do it.

This announcement at this time is pure prostition for votes.

• Advertisement

raven136 wrote:
    ...very true,Paddy Powers(not that reliable i know,but when did you last see a poor bookie)have installed the alternative coalition as favourites.Bertie is under severe pressure and influential journalists aint helping him.

And who is favourite to become next Taoiseach?

AS of yesterday, it was still comfortably Ahern.

hmmm, watch this space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I am only after hearing the news myself having watched the stream on RTE. I'm delighted! I just bought a 2nd hand house with stamp duty on it in the city. And on top of this an extra 2000 per year for couples. We're delighted. FF & Labour have my vote :D and then some to the greens.
    This announcement at this time is pure prostition for votes.
    Of course the election is all about getting votes, its all about giving the people what they want. Some people want what they are offering so they vote for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What was it Brian Cowen said recently about this issue?? I like the way FF supporters are spinning this as being done solely for economic reasons.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Sniipe wrote:
    I am only after hearing the news myself having watched the stream on RTE. I'm delighted! I just bought a 2nd hand house with stamp duty on it in the city. And on top of this an extra 2000 per year for couples. We're delighted. FF & Labour have my vote :D and then some to the greens..
    Who says you can't buy votes? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Comfortably Conor??
    As of this morning with betfair it was:
    Ahern 1.95
    Kenny 2.24

There's nothing in it, but this announcement may just be the beginning of the end, I can't see FF turning it around now - what are they thinking? Kenny is doing a good job, by simply keeping a low profile, whilst every time Bertie opens his mouth he makes a bigger gaffe. It'll be interesting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Sniipe wrote:
    I am only after hearing the news myself having watched the stream on RTE. I'm delighted! I just bought a 2nd hand house with stamp duty on it in the city. And on top of this an extra 2000 per year for couples. We're delighted. FF & Labour have my vote :D and then some to the greens.

Of course the election is all about getting votes, its all about giving the people what they want. Some people want what they are offering so they vote for them...
    Unfortunately for FF there are not many people for whom today's announcement will make any difference at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Exactly SkepticOne ^^ he certainly bought mine :) Only thing I'm worried about for furture house buyers is that the house price may go up anyway to what it would have been with the stamp duty...

I've never been as interested in an election :) this is fantastic... so close :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

ladbrokes 'the magic sign' have both Kenny & Aherne priced up at 5/6 (i.e each outcomes as likely as the other). The best price enda kenny I can find is 11/10 (i.e. just under a 50% chance) after being 11/4 with hills only 2 months ago.

Not so comfortable now eh?

sorry Glenbhoy, only saw your post now. My odds are from conventional bookies and not the exchanges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The only reason for that is FF are like the office slut. They have no principles or morals and will get into bed with anyone to get ahead. Fine Gael have only two parties they will go into government with, Labour and Greens.

ballooba wrote:
    The only reason for that is FF are like the office slut. They have no principles or morals and will get into bed with anyone to get ahead. Fine Gael have only two parties they will go into government with, Labour and Greens.

:D

Hate to get all factual, but your own subjective viewpoint is no substitute for history and the cold facts. Fine Gael have 'got into bed' with the following:-

The Labour Party
    The National Labour Party
    Clann na Talmhan
    Clann na Poblachta
    Independants
    Democratic Left

You observed that they are wooing the Greens too now.

Fianna Fail have relied on the following to form Governments

The Progressive Democrats
    The Labour Party
    Independants

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but does that mean Fine Gael have actually coalesced with twice the number of parties as Fianna Fail?

Permission to laugh out loud at your post?

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but does that mean Fine Gael have actually coalesced with twice the number of parties as Fianna Fail?
    Note my use of the future tense above.

FF are pursuing the following options openly or in private:
    FF/PD (lol)
    FF/Lab
    FF/Green
    FF/SF

FG are pursuing the options:
    FG/Lab
    FG/Lab/Green

ballooba wrote:
    FF are pursuing the following options openly or in private:
    FF/PD (lol)
    FF/Lab
    FF/Green
    FF/SF

:D:D

Sure they are, ballooba, sure they are.

Can I make up stuff too?

Sure why rely on lessons from the past and established facts when you can 'rely' on guesswork and 'private information' about the future? Can I borrow the crystal ball after you?

are you seriously saying that the only party FF will go into government with are the PDs? God, all this negative publicity, U turns on policy etc has made you dizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I believe Brian Cowan is suffering from whiplast due to the speed of the latest u-turn :)

Fianna Fail will not be able to form a government solely with the PDs after the G.E. They know it too.

If their campaign keeps going the way it is, even FG wouldn't be able to give them a leg up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

ballooba wrote:
    Fine Gael have only two parties they will go into government with, Labour and Greens.
    Are you saying that if it came down to it, that Labour didn't have the numbers but the PDs did, that we wouldn't see a FG/PD/Green coalition?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I think you need to check your tap water The_Minister if you really believe the PD's will have more seats than Labour after the dust settles!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Yeah, because like the last 10 years have been so bad, compared to the golden era 1982-1987. Everyone's leaving now, remember in the 80s when hundreds of thousands flocked to this country looking for work and everyone had a job?.

MMM you do remember Charlie's famous "we're living way beyond our means" speech. "The golden years" were **** all to do with Fine Gael. We inherited them from FF. And let me remind you about the Tallaght Strategy in 1987, that Alan Dukes (The then leader of the Fine Gael) agreed to implement.

The way Fianna Fail are acting at the moment is just pure lunacy. Stamp duty, the national debt, tax to 18% etc. Where's the money going to come from?
    Fine Gael have a lot to answer for in the current housing crisis. There is no doubt but that their comments about stamp duty have contributed to the freefall in the market at the moment, the simple fact is that the housing market has collapsed and Fine Gael have made a healthy contribution to that. The situation, even at the end of last year, was very different, and anyone remotely connected with the property market will tell you that. Compare stats on sales between last Autumn and this Spring and it is clear that the market has completely changed. Stuff like 'they had 5 years to do it' completely ignores those changes.

Only someone from Fianna Fail would try to peg the blame on the opposition. The buck stops with Fianna Fail as the party in power. The dogs on the street know the property market has been overvalued for quite some time and that measures needed to be brought in to tackle stamp duty for first time buyers. Trouble is they've been 5 years too late and all because FF were afraid to upset their buddies in the construction industry.

Advertisement