Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF to drop Stamp Duty

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

gandalf wrote:
    I think you need to check your tap water The_Minister if you really believe the PD's will have more seats than Labour after the dust settles!!!
    1. Hypothetically.
    2. Labour are in for a decrease.
    3. PDs once got close to twice as many votes as Labour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Sniipe wrote:
    Exactly SkepticOne ^^ he certainly bought mine :) Only thing I'm worried about for furture house buyers is that the house price may go up anyway to what it would have been with the stamp duty...

I've never been as interested in an election :) this is fantastic... so close :)

dont be worrying about houses prices going up they're only going one way and thats down (as they have already been). stamp duty is nothing other than a very large white elephant standing in the corner of the room that will be as plain as day after the election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

ballooba wrote:
    Fianna Fail will not be able to form a government solely with the PDs after the G.E. They know it too.

If their campaign keeps going the way it is, even FG wouldn't be able to give them a leg up. :D

A shur the PD's dont even know who their candidates are for heaven sake (As per Today's Evening Hearld). How would you expect them to form a govenment? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

1. Hypothetically.
    I think that can be replaced with Realistically
    2. Labour are in for a decrease.
    In the polls maybe but I think they will increase their numbers of seats realistically
    3. PDs once got close to twice as many votes as Labour.

And the Liberals once formed Governments in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Are you saying that if it came down to it, that Labour didn't have the numbers but the PDs did, that we wouldn't see a FG/PD/Green coalition?
    Lose the growler, take a five year time out, then we'll talk. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

I believe that abolishing stamp duty for first time buyers in this manner could make things worse:

A ftb does not have to pay stamp duty on property valued up to €317,500. Sellers, aware of this, will often put a property on the market at below the duty threshold - to attract ftbs. Obviously this is dependent on the property value..

If stamp duty is abolished for ftb, sellers will no longer have the same incentive to keep prices below the threshold.

Advertisement