Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin North Central

Options
  • 03-05-2007 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

First time voter here, just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the people running in this constituency.

As far as I know these are all those standing for the Dail.

Sean Haughey T.D. (FF)
    Ivor Callely T.D. (FF)
    Richard Bruton T.D. (FG)
    Finian McGrath T.D. (Independent)
    Bronwen Maher (Green)
    Derek McDowell (Labour)
    Antoinette Keegan (Ind)
    Peter Lawlor (Sinn Fein)
    Edited to include other two candidates, thanks The_Minister

Basically I havent heard all that much from or about those running in the constituency. I get the odd newsletter from Finian McGrath and he seems to do some good stuff (well obviously he wont be preaching what he hasnt done). All I seem to get from Ivor Callely is postcards of him posing with his family along with the annual calender :p
    I know its bad to be basing my opinions on things like that but Mr Callely does my nut in with the christmas cards and other seasonal items he sends out, also the amount of fake tan and makeup he has on him in his campaign posters is ridiculous, I just get the impression that he is an extremely vain man and he is one person who I have almost already ruled out for the possibility of voting for him. Just because he seems like a prat!

Richard Bruton: from all I have read and anytime I have seen him on Question and answers and that he seems like a very intelligent man and am leaning towards him and FG at the moment.

I could never see myself voting for a member of the green party purely as they seem to be lacking in any economical policies of note (I could be way of the mark on this, please correct me if I am wrong)

McDowell and the Labour party confuses me, on the face of it it seems that they are highly hypocritical and that the labour party is definately to the right of centre, that said I would be considering voting for them as I would be happy to see a FG-Labour coalition.

As said at the start I do not know a lot about those running in my constituency and as a first time voter I dont want to waste my vote, it is wrecking my head that a lot of my friends dont know why they are voting for the people they are voting for. I also found it quite funny that some people think you can vote for any person in the country :p

Anyway any thought, views, opinions on the people running in this constituency would be much appriciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

You forgor Antoinette Keegan (Ind) and Peter Lawlor (Sinn Fein)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

When I lived in that constituency Ivor Callely was the unofficial FF mouthpiece of the taxi industry. He fought their corner against deregulation and in return there'd always be taxis around town with his name plastered on them at election time. Complete slimeball, I met him one morning at Killester DART station when he was campaigning and I resolved on the spot never to vote for him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I grew up in that constituency and lived near enough to Ivor. I find him to be one of the most dislikeable people that I have ever met.
    He apparently used to have a habit of going into the corpo and finding out the outcome of planning applications within his constituency just prior to the applicant being notified. He would then send out a letter saying how he had helped secure the application or despite how he worked hard, the corpo turned down the application. The fecker had nothing to do with the process at all but was claiming the credit!
    @ zaph - from what I heard, he owned several taxi licences which is why he was a defender of the old system.
    I could go on but just let it be known that I really really dislike him. Anyhow, because of dodgy decorating deals he is unlikely to hold any form of power in the future so is he any use to the constituency in the Dail compared to some of the others? Haughey, Bruton and possibly McDowell are candidates (I reckon) for some high profile spot in the next government (depending on which parties forms the government)- Ivor isn't!

On the other hand, politicians like Richard Bruton, Derek McDowell and Finian McGrath would be IMO good politicians.
    I actually didn't know that much about Sean Haughey - maybe he kept clear of Clontarf because Callelly owned that area.
    I admire Finian for his stance on several issues in the past when others stood by and watched.

I don't really know much about the others.

[I have no political affiliations, etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

Richard Bruton is probably my favourite person in Irish politics. He always seems genuine and intelligent. Unfortunately, I'm not from this constituency so I can't vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Haughey isn't too bad. Certainly nothing like his father. He's currently Minister of State in the Department of Education and Science with responsibility for Adult Education, Youth Affairs and Educational Disadvantage.

If are going to vote Fianna Fail go with him over Callely, who as has already been stated is a slime ball.

Bruton is good... and I think Fine Gael would have been a lot better off with him in charge instead of Kenny.

• Advertisement

Just to come back to this - IIRC wasn't Derek McDowell a possible candidate to take over the leadership at the last change?

I was chatting to my sister yesterday. Seemingly my sis like all the tenants in her appartment block got a note in her letterbox from Ivor saying how he tried to call but there was no answer so he was leaving in the note in case they wanted to contact him.
    Anyhow it turns out that he was caught by another tenant putting the letters in even though he had never buzzed any of the residents.
    Maybe he couldnt reach high enough to press the buzzer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

I've met Ivor Callely a couple of times - a few years ago now. He is one of those people that doesn't seem capable of looking at you, or listening to you when you're talking to him. He just continues to shake your hand looking around for the next person to grin at. One word sums him up for me, and thats 'False'. I think he would do practically anything to get in to the Dail !!!

I have also met Finian McGrath, who seems like a genuine person. He can engage in a conversation with somebody whether they can help his career or not. He also seems to care about local issues - don't underestimate the power of the independents when it come to getting something done at a local level. He might be in a good position come the end of may.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Richard Bruton is, without a doubt, the standout candidate in Dublin North Central. I'd put Finian McGrath at number two. Haughey at 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

It looks like a really tough one to call - looks like Bruton will get in definitely get in, and deservedly so. It is usually a FF stronghold with Callely and Haughey normally getting in easily. There is only three seats, and Finian McGrath and Derek McDowell both have very strong pockets of support. Also, the greens could poll well.

Haughey will probably get in, but I think this could potentially be a disaster for FF. I think McDowell and McGrath will oust Callely and Haughey. I't a bit unlikely, but it could happen. At the least, I see Callely loosing his stranglehold on his seat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Richard Bruton is, without a doubt, the standout candidate in Dublin North Central. I'd put Finian McGrath at number two. Haughey at 3.

I'd put Finian McGrath at number one to give him the best possible chance. Richard is a dead cert to get a seat so he goes number two for that reason.

FF are a non runner for me so it would be a green after that.

Haughey was practically chased from my doorstep yesterday afternoon. I cannot tolerate his position vis-a-vis his party leader who shafted him after the Callaly debacle. Remember, when he was appointed Junior Minister we were getting the old Haughey laundry hanging out...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

He apparently used to have a habit of going into the corpo and finding out the outcome of planning applications within his constituency just prior to the applicant being notified. He would then send out a letter saying how he had helped secure the application or despite how he worked hard, the corpo turned down the application. The fecker had nothing to do with the process at all but was claiming the credit!

Christ it must be a FF thing!! A very close relative to mine applied to national lottery funding for a heritage project about 15 years ago. Hhe was told he would be getting it as he had been lobying for years for this and didnt apply until he knew it would be successful. Anyway along came the cheque and the next day a letter from FF TD John ****ing Dennehy claiming that he worked hard to secure this funding for him and that if he needed anything dont hesistate to contact him. Needless to say he wasnt impressed and wrote a letter back to him asking him why he contacted him reagarding this issue when he did nothing to help him in the past......never got a reply!

My relative is a true FF man all his life and will vote FF in this GE but claims that this man is a Langer of the highest order.

Its these dimwits that need to be voted out. Ireland may have thought they were ok in the 80's but this is 2007 where the irish people expect a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Its very tight to call with just 3 seats deffo 1 ff 1 fg and the last seat up for grabs, id say Haughey and brutal will get in and the last seat between mcgrath and callaly, mcdowell tranfers will be crucial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Grow up, kids

Bruton is good... and I think Fine Gael would have been a lot better off with him in charge instead of Kenny.

Indeed. I asked him why he wasn't FG leader ahead of Kenny when he canvassed my area, and he didn't answer the question. Just got nervous and moved to the next house. He'd be grand if he could grow a set of balls.

As for Callely, I can see how people might see him as slimy. He's a stereotypical politician. He has, however, done some good work locally as of late. Career workshops in Fairview a couple of months ago for example, were good initiatives by him.

Haughey is a standup guy, nothing and all like his father, and this is widely accepted.

My votes will be:
    1. Haughey
    2. Callely
    3. McGrath
    4. Keegan
    5. McDowell
    6. Bruton
    7. Maher
    8. Lawlor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

If I lived in this constituency I would vote Finian McGrath. He is unquestionably an outstanding politician and constituency worker and a great man to boot.

Bruton is again, undoubtedly talented and Haughey, forgetting about his father, is one of the few Fianna Failers who I would actually have some time for.

Dont know an awful lot about the other candidates aside from Callely who all thats needs to be said about him has already been pretty much said on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

McGrath could be in trouble here, the growing green and labour influence in DNC will chip at his vote, McGrath was last man in and DNC is now 3 seats, Haughey & Burton will walk it and it will be a tight slug out between Ivor, McGrath & McDowell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Yeah that was something I forgot to touch upon. With the constituency going to 3 seats McGrath is very likely to the unfortunate one to be pushed out. It will be a very sad day if McGrath loses his seat, Irish politics badly needs people of his caliber in the Dáil instead of Ivor bleedin' Callely

As for Callely, I can see how people might see him as slimy. He's a stereotypical politician. He has, however, done some good work locally as of late. Career workshops in Fairview a couple of months ago for example, were good initiatives by him.
    Were the career workshops not done as a personal career move rather than a political exercise? I didn't think it was Ivor the politician doing these.
    My votes will be:
    1. Haughey
    2. Callely
    3. McGrath
    4. Keegan
    5. McDowell
    6. Bruton
    7. Maher
    8. Lawlor
    I sense some FF loyalty here anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Grow up, kids

It was Callely's alright.

As for the FF loyalty. Not historically, no. I've always voted on an individual candidate basis. This time, however, the thought of an Enda Kenny led Government of this country terrifies me. The promises of the FG/Labour coalition simply don't add up. I would happily vote against the current Govt if a viable alternative was offered. I don't believe it is, though. And the whole argument of 'Ah sure let's give them a chance, they deserve a shot' is crap, as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Finian McGrath, Richard Bruton & Sean Haughey all turned up to the local residents agm about 6 mths ago (election around the corner!). Richard & Finian are good speakers, but even in the parish hall, Sean doesn't come across well. Having said that he seems to work very hard. Won't be voting Fianna Fail in any case.

Voted Finian (or at least a transfer if I remember) with my "anti Fianna Fail single government" strategy last time. Again, he works hard, but not happy with his stance on the columbia three

• Advertisement

In fairness Finian McGrath's campaign was for justice for the three as irrespective of what they were doing, they were not given a fair trial there.
    What happened was that three Irish people were being put through a charade of a legal process to suit political means.

However, whilst I do have my own suspicions as to why the three were there, there isn't proof of it.

The radio station that I'm involved with ran an election special for Dublin North Central last month where all the candidates from the consistency fielded questions from the public.

Podcast of it is available here:

http://nearfm.ie/podcast/index.php?id=164

(We're a not-for-profit organisation)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

[/QUOTE]
    Bruton is good... and I think Fine Gael would have been a lot better off with him in charge instead of Kenny.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. Hardworking, intelligent politican. I could never understand why FG did not give him the leadership position. He would do a much better job than the Mayo Muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'm also first time voter in this constituency. I'll be voting Finian Mc Grath number 1 since you actually hear from him when its not election time, then Bruton and Mc Dowell.

I won't be voting for FF or SF on principle or Antoinette Keegan since there are only 3 seats and I would hate to see one of them wasted on a single issue candidate.

Practically everyone has called to the door. Ivor was around earlier, Finian, Bruton and Lawlor were here.

My mam actually told Bruton she was most concerned about the health service and 2 days later she had a letter from him saying what he'll do for the health service and whatnot. Super efficent so I was impressed.

I won't be voting for FF or SF on principle or Antoinette Keegan since there are only 3 seats and I would hate to see one of them wasted on a single issue candidate.
    She's pulled out of the race on Friday citing health problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

The radio station that I'm involved with ran an election special for Dublin North Central last month where all the candidates from the consistency fielded questions from the public.

Podcast of it is available here:

http://nearfm.ie/podcast/index.php?id=164

(We're a not-for-profit organisation)
    Ivor Callely turned up about 15 mins late:rolleyes:

Just like Mass!
    He used to canvass outside his (and my) local church shaking hands with anyone who was willing to feel his palm. About 5 or 10 minutes after mass started he would stroll in, making as much noise as possible, and sit down up the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

jank wrote:
    Christ it must be a FF thing!! A very close relative to mine applied to national lottery funding for a heritage project about 15 years ago. Hhe was told he would be getting it as he had been lobying for years for this and didnt apply until he knew it would be successful. Anyway along came the cheque and the next day a letter from FF TD John ****ing Dennehy claiming that he worked hard to secure this funding for him and that if he needed anything dont hesistate to contact him. Needless to say he wasnt impressed and wrote a letter back to him asking him why he contacted him reagarding this issue when he did nothing to help him in the past......never got a reply!

My relative is a true FF man all his life and will vote FF in this GE but claims that this man is a Langer of the highest order.

Its these dimwits that need to be voted out. Ireland may have thought they were ok in the 80's but this is 2007 where the irish people expect a bit more

Bit off topic but .... A while back Dick Roche rang a GAA club in my area to 'announce' that they had received a few hundred K in funding (not sure of exact figure). Needless to say, they were delighted and even more so by the fact that they had never applied for it!!

Turned out that he rang the wrong GAA club (as they had the same name - St Pats). My club had actually applied for the funding for a new clubhouse and gone through the whole procedure. Was sorted out in the end but a bit of a cock up....

• Advertisement

Ivor is gone - Finian was re-elected.
    Add that to McDowells eviction, I suppose it wasn't the worst election!

Advertisement