Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Root Canal

• 03-05-2007 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

So, I need root canal. What is the average price? The dental hospital cannot do it for me so I have to find a dentist also.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Love2love wrote:
    So, I need root canal. What is the average price? The dental hospital cannot do it for me so I have to find a dentist also.

Probably around €600 euro or so at a rough guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Yeah that's what I thought. The dentist in the dental hospital said about 500euro but a few people told me they paid over a 1,000!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Wish I was you! If that's all you need - how bad, I could live with that. Plus, you'll get tax back don't forget!

I have a list as long as me arm as to what I need to get done, try this for example:

Root Canal
    2 Crowns
    Implant
    Resin Bonded Bridge

Average cost = €9,000:eek: :eek: :eek:

Now I bet you don't feel so bad after all, eh?

I've been doing some research and came up with these guys in Hungry, apparently cosmetic dental surgery is way cheaper there then Ireland. What do ye reckon?

http://www.tibordental.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Just back from the dentist with an abcess on one(perhaps two) of my teeth. Really upset about possibility of losing two teeth :( Dentist hopes that a root canal will save my teeth. She told me it was going to cost 900eu! I am a full time student, don't know where I'll get that sort of money. Have no other choice though. Anyone know if it's painful, what should I expect? thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

AFAIK, root canal isn't as bad (pain wise) anymore. I know of people who have had it done with a relatively low threshold to pain and have returned to work that afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

Had one done a out five years ago. No pain - just very boring. Sitting still with your gob open for up to three hours :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 SedationDentist

root canal treatment cost varies enormously depending on the position of the tooth - generally the further back you go the more canals there are in each tooth and therefore the more expensive it will be. if its a back tooth expect to pay 500-900.
    You should also factor in that back teeth generally need crowns after root treatment - expect to pay about 600-1000 for that. If you don't crown a back tooth after RCT it is a LOT more likely to fracture.
    Pain during treatment should be NIL, after treatment it varies a lot- in my experience about 25% experience pain for a few days, rarley for longer than that.

The dental school at Cork University Hospital charge €45 per canal for root canals,and theres usually 2 or 3 in each tooth, so thats approx. €130 per tooth. They charge approx. €260 for a single crown. Thats pretty cheap compared to a private dental practice and the work i've had done is of great quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

About 6 months to a year ago my dentist told me that I needed a root canal ASAP, However I still have not got it done, it has been a combination of, 1) well my tooth aint sore so why fix something thats not broken and 2) an inate fear of people poking at my mouth... I had braces for about 6 years and never want to go near a dentist again.

So basically what I'm asking is am I being a complete idiot for not getting a root canal done despite what my dentist said? If I remember correctly she said that the tooth was basically dead (It is a molar) and that I could get it taken out or get a root canal done on it.
    As I said, it has caused my no problem at all in the past 6-12 months, but some further opinions would be greatfull.

Also sorry for hijacking this thread but I dont think it warrants a new one.

Cheers

If I were you, I would make an appointment with the dentist tomorrow. That also happened to me and a few months later the tooth broke. Your tooth is dead, so it decays in your mouth causing bacteria to multiply and you will probably suffer from an abcess or some thing which I gather is extremely painfull.
    I went back to the dentist after the tooth broke and was told I was lucky to have avoided getting an abcess, and that two more teeth in the meantime have deteriorated so I have had to get root canals on them. Now I'm waiting to get crowns done. Very expensive.
    Save yourself a lot of pain and money and get the root canal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

I had a root canal done years ago and it was very painful, I eventually had to get the tooth out. All that pain for nothing:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Thanks folks! (for hijacking my thread! :D )

Anyway, I found a dentist and was quoted 380 plus 80 for initial appointment but I couldnt get an appointment for 3 weeks! So I went back to the dental hospital and they gave me an antibotic so I thought that would buy me a couple of weeks pain-fee and decided to go on holiday to Germany and the day I arrived here, I was in agony rolling around the floor! I had to go to a dentist here and today I got Root Canal, wasnt painful at all. It only cost me 250!!! Wohoo!!! :) I was delighted to say the least and the best part was that he was Irish so I knew exactly what he was saying!

Advertisement