Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Industry or Postdoc???

• 03-05-2007 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭

Backround: I completed my PhD (Environmental Engineering) last Oct, did my Viva in Jan and will be graduating this July (Yipeee), im nearly 26.
    I have been working in a large multinational engineering company since oct.

So my question is: should i stay in industry or go do a post doc??

I feel my skill are not being utilised to the full in my present job but at the same time I am learning lots of useful things, and its 9 to 5 with minimum pressure.

The postdoc is funding dependant, so im sitting pretty in the respect that I have a job so even if it falls through ill be ok.

Does doing a post doc totally rule you out from working in Industry again? Are you deemed too academic/institutionalised??

All opinions welcome!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Congrats on your graduation!

I think the first question really would be do you want to be in industry or academia or both. Don't forget too that there are lots of commercial opportunities on campus, so maybe joining a campus company might be what you'd like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

A lot depends on what you want out of life. Personally I think research is much more fun and far less restrictive than industry. But I always like to keep industry relevant.

I went from PhD straight into academia, but I always keep my research industry relevant and usually industry based, so a move back is possible for me. Also, as RedAlert says there is Campus companies and other half-way house options. I have friends who have moved back and forth from industry / academia several times even after 8+ years of academia, so I don’t think the institutionalised issue is a big deal… if you manage your career well.

Advertisement