Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

compsoc updates no. 2

• 03-05-2007 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭

considering my other thread was locked, here is a new one.
    keeping everyone up to date with the going's on in compsoc.
    the games that will have a place on the server for the 07/08 college year are as follows:
    FPS sector:
    CS:S(if i didnt put this up i would be dead!!)
    battlefield 2(great game for introducing the n00bs!)
    Battlefield vietnam(
    RTS sector:
    AOE2(classic, cant be beat and everyone knows what it is)
    Rise of Nations(meh...)
    Filght sim sector:
    flight sim 2004:combat flight sim 3
    Driving Sector:
    Midtown Madness 2(just cos its fun)

some of the above may be changed, as all of them are subject to testing,etc.

also on the update list, i am in discussions in how we access the server, one for sucurity and 2 to speed connection to the server. on the new server we(according to my sources) will be able to be accessed from the outside so you can join in from home..etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

from home, eh? sounds good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭lynch_3001

i know doesnt it play css without leaving the bed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

"Your" other thread was locked because "you" couldnt keep on-topic in "your" own thread. Try to keep that in mind, this time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

So your saying people could be able to connect to the compsoc servers online? I dont see it happening tbh with all the restrictions the college has. more details plz!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

thats not gonna happen tbh, unless you get people to use their own steam accounts/cd keys in compsoc.

• Advertisement

well i am trying to get funding, so that i can get steam accounts(i did say that FUNDING, mulla, cash, green!!) so that players can access the servers from inside and out etc. probably never come to fruition but its nice to dream, obviously these numbers will be given out on an application basis not just free to the masses.

the reason why we can get outside access is that i am trying to move to the netsoc server which will give me more freedom etc. as their server isnt being used for anything at the moment, and i, for one, and i also think paul hates to see that kinda stuff go to waste.

we are also exploring other avenues, like the imalgamation of compsoc and netsoc,(possibly under a different name, but all the same jobs, we never forget our cs:s roots!!) and from there we will see what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I admire your ambition but I just see it happening, the funding will be hard to get. Also I dont see the advantage of bringing the servers online. If people want to play online they play online, if people want to play on lan they can wander into compsoc.

well the way i see it is that if we have the availabilty of an outside server we could retain more members during the year, and have a private server for the weekends and such,
    also it will open us up to intervasity gaming, which i know goes on in other colleges, so why should we be left out, we're just as good as them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A few things: the college will get sued if you run unlicensed games. Also, the college may not want to pay for the bandwidth for multiple games accessible from outside the college.

one: like i keep saying i am trying to get licenced copies of the game, and two: whats bandwidth the college have 11mbs of it and it wont be on the college offical server it will be on the netsoc private!!

i know the legalities, stop telling me about them!!

• Advertisement

right so far on the games we have garunteed for next year is:

CS;S(for obvius reasons, cant garuntee the outside gaming yet tho)
    Battlefield 2
    Battlefield vietnam(i know, 2 bf games, but vietnam has the hughy, and bf2 is a good intro)
    AOE2
    Rise of Nations

the rest of the games will be tested during next week and the week after, i wont be around for the rest of the summer , as i will be in america, so if you have any suggestions, leave them till augest!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

lynch_3001 wrote:
    well the way i see it is that if we have the availabilty of an outside server we could retain more members during the year, and have a private server for the weekends and such,
    also it will open us up to intervasity gaming, which i know goes on in other colleges, so why should we be left out, we're just as good as them!

Carlow has won the source comp of Interlan (An intervarsity lan organised by DCU) the last 2 years running :)

well tell you the truth, didnt know that....asi am the n00b president....but what i kinda meant was that i wanted a kinda once every 2 weeks we challenge another college and the prize is pride like the boat race in rowing....etc...not formal like interlan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

1) Carlow IT internet is based on the HEANET backbone... forget about playing games on that, as even if Carlow IT would let you, HEANET would say no...

2) I take it from your post that you are taking over as president again next year? Only... I dont remember hearing anything about elections. how very tyranical of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

lynch_3001 wrote:
    whats bandwidth the college have 11mbs of it and it wont be on the college offical server it will be on the netsoc private!!

:confused: Stupid statement tbh. Makes you look like a total knob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

why hasnt anyone else seen it yet

i talked to people and it was a spoken vote, by the ppl of compsoc, actual attending members, as the old presidents and admins hadnt shown up in like 3 months at ANY meeting, it is also taken, in the computer services department now that i am admin!! i also talked to pyscopat and his like about it, taking their positions and they agreed so, i think i followed all legal roots to the presidency.
    at least hand it to me, i am trying to improve compsoc, if all of you guys would stop putting me down and let me do the job we will have a great compsoc for the 2007/08 season!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

[Begin Rant]
    lynch_3001 wrote:
    CS;S
    Battlefield 2
    Battlefield Vietnam
    AOE2
    Rise of Nations

[sarcasm]Wow impressive games list[/sarcasm]
    Seem like the same games for the last 3 years (2 of which i started in compsoc so i should know)
    lynch_3001 wrote:
    Admins hadn't shown up in like 3 months at ANY meeting, it is also taken, in the computer services department now that i am admin!!

Didn't see you there on clubs and soc day helping out trying to get names [pimping compsoc].As for a few months later when everyone started turning up less and less, that happens most years espec with introduction of cs (my bad!) Some people turned up, some had collage work and some were just plain lazy! Computer services people don't care who's in charge just as long as noise is kept down :rolleyes:
    lynch_3001 wrote:
    i also talked to pyscopat and his like about it, taking their positions and they agreed so, i think i followed all legal roots to the presidency.

Its been a general compsoc rule that presidency changes each year (usually to a 2nd or 3rd year (what year are you??) as they've been there to know what works - sometimes by vote) and since you said you were "president" this year that would mean you stepping down and there has never been a problem with that.

[\End Rant]

[Begin Rant]

[sarcasm]Wow impressive games list[/sarcasm]
    Seem like the same games for the last 3 years (2 of which i started in compsoc so i should know)

Didn't see you there on clubs and soc day helping out trying to get names [pimping compsoc].As for a few months later when everyone started turning up less and less, that happens most years espec with introduction of cs (my bad!) Some people turned up, some had collage work and some were just plain lazy! Computer services people don't care who's in charge just as long as noise is kept down :rolleyes:

Its been a general compsoc rule that presidency changes each year (usually to a 2nd or 3rd year (what year are you??) as they've been there to know what works - sometimes by vote) and since you said you were "president" this year that would mean you stepping down and there has never been a problem with that.

[\End Rant]
    [start rant]
    ah, the general rule of presidency doesn’t rule when the president should run for a year, when that president doesn’t show at any meeting for a period of 4 months, that’s what we call impeachment time. If you can find a president that wants to be president, be my guest, but when I am willing and able to be the president and am willing to bring compsoc to a higher status and know how to get compsoc to the next level and know who to talk to, I will allow a vote.
    Heres your question, who do you, talk to in the college for funding and what line must you follow to get the backing?
    I have ideas for compsoc, and have a good standing with the college, just about every department knows who I am, and is willing to help. If you can get that too, go ahead.
    I also have written in the blurb about compsoc, I have seen no one in the last year or two do that.
    Find a president willing to work as hard as I have and will, go ahead and send him to me, if not go away with yourselves.
    LYNCH_3001 FOR COMPSOC PRESIDENT 07/08!!
    [/END RANT]

actually in relation to your computer services thing about them not caring, ah...they do mine and the compsoc accounts were banned for a week due to security concerns. so if they dont care why did they ban all 3 accounts....why?

if you attended you would of known...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

sound like your running a dictatorship taking control :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

should the vice president whoever he is, not have taken over

compsoc most have some bizarre system in place

btw not a member

there was no vice, woo!! dictatorship compsoc...!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

lynch_3001 wrote:
    actually in relation to your computer services thing about them not caring, ah...they do mine and the compsoc accounts were banned for a week due to security concerns. so if they dont care why did they ban all 3 accounts....why?

if you attended you would of known...

My little snipe at computer services was for the help (or lack of) they were in the first few years though that did change last year espec with upgrade of computers and the fact they gave us two rooms, but then of course "we" repayed them by playing games outside compsoc hours so "we" would have deserved any bannings.

I've actually attended compsoc fairly reguraly since i was in 1st year (i'm now in 4th) so yeah i do know fairly well the ins and outs of it. During that time i was treasurer (that was my 2nd yr position for a free meal in clubs socs dinner but thats another story), last year i was president and this year i was a vice-pres.

(As for my reason i didn't attend as i said after first few weeks as i had exams and have since been on work placement and still am).

Compsoc has more or less being dying since about 2years ago since I introduced CS:S to it and i take the blame for that though there are many who thank me for introducing it. I feel though in fact that it ruined the variety of different games we used to play as every compsc was the set up cs server then play it for 5 hrs which became a very boring affair after thea first few months.

Theres my collage life story and i'm sticking to it!

Advertisement