Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Synchronous BB

Options
  • 03-05-2007 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I've just been on to Eircom Business Sales and they tell me its not possible to get hi Speed Synchronous Broadband i.e. 6mb down and 6 mb up! Surely that cant be right? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Everything's possible with money. Such a line would probably cost you tens of thousands of euro per annum currently though, as it would only be supplied via lease line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

CuLT wrote:
    Everything's possible with money. Such a line would probably cost you tens of thousands of euro per annum currently though, as it would only be supplied via lease line.

less than 10k PA if you are near a MAN like Athlone or Tullamore or Mullingar ( thats 10 down 10 up uncontended in burst with 5 down 5 up guaranteed ) ...and OVER FIBRE

it can scale with a phonecall , well up to 100mbits anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Just an FYI that Irish Broadband's wireless offering is (or at least was when I had it) synchronous. For example...

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=21

C

only guaranteed 1mbit up , the other 3 is burst

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Thats Mad! I got a free upgrade on our UK site in sheffield to 8mb Synchronous! Are we that far behind over here?

• Advertisement

we are way behind and getting behinder unless you are near a MAN

http://www.enet.ie/Shared/Business/MAN.aspx

we have no regulator, a near bankrupt eircom and no compelling market pressure to provide proper broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'm sure you mean symmetrical, not synchronous.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I can never understand why charges for symmetrical are so great. Most traffic is inbound (i.e. webpages, downloads) the outbound traffic is generrally minimal (except for file sharing etc). So surely the backbone network being is heavily underused in the inbound direction, including from where they interconnect at INEX, LINX etc.

Wouldn't they be better to have the full bandwidth in use?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can even get reverse adsl.

But all three packages, the total up + down will be limited by your line quality and roughly the same. So if your line can ONLY 1M down and 128k up it might only be able for 512k sdsl.

sdsl is not popular. many ISPs don't even understand (or don't want to provide) that their exsisting DSLAM can do adsl, sdsl or reverse adsl by sw config.

Incumbents would rather rent a leased line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

only guaranteed 1mbit up , the other 3 is burst

Thats true - but obviously that is way better than most non leased options. All they are doing is being up front about the contention - its a 4:1 contention product so at 4Mb you are guaranteed a minimum of 1Mb both ways. Compare that with Eircom's 6Mb/512kb Business Enhanced product - it has a 24:1 contention so it only guarantees 250Kb down and 21Kb(!) up.

C

• Advertisement

tis better , thumbs up to IBB from Sponge central

Advertisement