Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first crash - :(

• 03-05-2007 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

so after four years of biking a cager finally got me.
    a quick u-turn 10 yards ahead of me sent me straight into his side and over the bonnet.
    i was only doing about 35kph, but im pretty banged up.

an awkward landing has given me a whole lot of breaks in my left arm and wrsit, all held together with wires and screws.
    other than that, bumps and bruises are the order of the day.
    a few gouges in the boots show where my feet couldve been mincemeat and a 2 euro sized hole in the helmet show where my brain damage woukld have been.

all happened tuesday morning, just got home from hospital now.
    bike isnt too bad afaik,
    forks are pointing the wrong way but thats about it,
    but probably wont be riding again for a long time :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Welcome to the Club, but thankfully I've only had the one, and it was quite a few years ago. It happens to the best of us, hope your bike, and you get sorted quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

cheers, hope it doesnt take too long to mend.
    the bike just cost me a grand in feb after being stolen / recovered so dont think ill be puting any more money into her.

if the arm works at the end of all this its gsxr time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Ah man, thats bad form. How are you feeling now ? will there be any long term damage ?

Make sure you take the cager for everything he /she's worth.

Second set of biking bad news I've heard in the past few days. Seriously thinking of hanging up the helmet until I leave Ireland later in the year.

pretty beaten up is how i feel tbh.
    spent 36 hours on a trolley in a&e.

not sur about long term damage but the surgeon who worked on my arm for nearly 3 hours said it was one of the worst series of breaks hes ever seen.
    they were going to put one of them external scaffold things on, but i begged him not to and in the end they were able to avoid it.
    i couldnt face 10 weeks of an open wound and not being able to out in public for fear of it getting bumped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

subway wrote:
    pretty beaten up is how i feel tbh.
    spent 36 hours on a trolley in a&e.

not sur about long term damage but the surgeon who worked on my arm for nearly 3 hours said it was one of the worst series of breaks hes ever seen.
    they were going to put one of them external scaffold things on, but i begged him not to and in the end they were able to avoid it.
    i couldnt face 10 weeks of an open wound and not being able to out in public for fear of it getting bumped.
    Sorry to hear that. I hope the healing goes OK.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Sorry to hear about that subway, sounds pretty bad :( Judging by the state of your helmet it could have been worse. Hopefully you'll be back biking soon enough! At least now you have an excuse to get that gsxr! ;)

I despair at the state of driving in this country but thats another rant for another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Ah crap, sorry to hear about it Sub. Have you been able to track down the details of the driver? What have they said? Are they admitting blame? I hope you heal up ok, and glad to hear your gear done its job right :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

sounds painful. Take care of yourself while you recover. If there's anything we can do let us know.

they were going nowhere, plenty of witnesses.
    gardai were on the scene in minutes.

dont know whats going to happen.
    garda said hed call me in a few days for a statement.
    guy shouldnt have been doing a u-turn where he was so should be open and shut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

subway wrote:
    they were going nowhere, plenty of witnesses.
    gardai were on the scene in minutes.

dont know whats going to happen.
    garda said hed call me in a few days for a statement.
    guy shouldnt have been doing a u-turn where he was so should be open and shut
    So, turning a frown upside down, at least you should get a few bob for your troubles....

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Yikes. Glad to hear theres no lasting damage and that its all straight forward.

Hope you recover quickly, i found www.irishbikerfoum.com great during my periods of no bike. Had a crash about this time last year, took me about 4 months to get back up on a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

what were you driving @ the time ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sorry to hear about your accident subway. Thankfully you're still here to type.
    Best of luck with the recovery, and hope all goes smoothly with the guilty party..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Sorry to hear about the spill, but at least you can walk away from it

make ysure you contact your insurance company & let them know, also ring the cops & get all the info fromt eh garda on the scene rather than wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

sorry to hear about the spill but atleast they have the driver
    a bit of advice for you, about 5 years back, I went down, broke my right arm in 5 places, was not a pretty sight (and what made it worse was that the quack down here didnt spot it straight away), make sure your arm is totally healed before you get back on, I got back on way to early and it ended up doing more damage than good

)ks for all the good wishes and advice.
    i was on my bandit 600 at the time.

heavy ****er but well loved (and now missed)

How odd, so was saobh_ie :S Are bandits car magnets? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Very sorry to hear that hope you recover soon- did it happen in Dublin or in the country?

in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

subway wrote:
    a quick u-turn 10 yards ahead of me sent me straight into his side and over the bonnet.

Not wishing to 'nit pick' but I'd be careful about giving those details in a statement. 100yds @ 35 kph gives you ALOT of time to see the hazard and stop or take evasive action.

That a side I do wish you the very best. I've had alot of crashes over the year's, worse one was my wife breaking her neck on Griffith Avenue, Febuary '92. My last biggie was a cyclist cycling up the quays against the flow of traffic, hit me on the front. I broke both elbow's and left scaphoid (wrist). The scaphpoid put me out for 11 months.

• Advertisement

10 yards,
    about 1 and 1/2 cars ahead of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

subway wrote:
    10 yards,
    about 1 and 1/2 cars ahead of me.

Sorry, beg your pardon.

Again best of luck with your injuries & a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Subway, get all the physio therapy that you can, and then some. From experience I can tell you if you dont look after your injuries now you could live with them for the rest of your life. I still have aches after 12 years and I only injured ligaments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Good luck with it dude, hope ya get well soon. RIP your bike ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Gutted to hear about your accident Subway... :(

But like everyone said, at least you walked away from it! How's the arm though? Hope you will make a full and speedy recovery! :)

And what about the bike? Do you think you'll fix it or sell it as is? Don't be getting a GSX-R before me now!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

subway wrote:

an awkward landing has given me a whole lot of breaks in my left arm and wrsit, all held together with wires and screws.
    other than that, bumps and bruises are the order of the day.
    a few gouges in the boots show where my feet couldve been mincemeat and a 2 euro sized hole in the helmet show where my brain damage woukld have been.

all happened tuesday morning, just got home from hospital now.
    bike isnt too bad afaik,
    forks are pointing the wrong way but thats about it,
    but probably wont be riding again for a long time :(

Sorry to hear that Subway, get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭russki

Geez, man, that hurts!

this u-turners never look around and always hide to the left in traffic before they jump out at you.

Take care of yourself now!

thanks for all the support guys.
    i had my outpatients appt the other day and finally got to see the x ray of my arm.

the explanntion the nurse gave me of a bunch of broken bones was way off :(
    the doctor explained that about 3 inches the of my radius bonw was "pulverised" and in "smitherrens"
    most of it has beeen removed and repl;aced with a metal rod.
    may never ride again due to weakness in the arm.

im getting a full cast next week, its only halfway round niw because of stitches so ill find out more then.

other than theres still quite a bit of discomfomfort and some other injuries dont seem to be clearing up, my right knee flares up in pain every few hours and i have tp limp around.

as a result of my dodgy arm i knocked a mug of coffee onto my laptop too.
    just not my year at all...

chin up tho :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Really sorry to here about this Sub, it's so frustrating when some cager risks your life just because they are impatient and don't take all of 1 second to look over their shoulder or even in wing mirrors.

On that note, ever notice when passing or driving in between traffic, the amount of people who don't even have their mirror aligned, you can't see their heads at all when you look at the mirror!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Hope you heal up well Subway
    Slaanesh wrote:
    you can't see their heads at all when you look at the mirror!!!

However, you can read the text message that they are typing as you approach.
    :rolleyes:

bad news, sorry to hear that.

got a call from insurance yesterday, bike is written off :(

got my full cast on my arm yesterday,
    had to get 15 stitches removed from the surgery...
    my arm has a weird twist in it that probably wont heal.

doctor couldnt say how much use i would have after recovery.

things arent looking good, think ill buy a euromillions ticket to see if my luck changes
    :)

Buy the ticket if you win get the KTM X-Bow that way you're on a four wheeled bike. Hopefully the arm will heal well you're not in too much pain. At least now you'll have a good story for the pub.

:D the painkillers are taking care of me,
    them x-bows look good alright

got the cast off yesterday.
    it feels so good to have that stinky thing off.

have to do plenty of physio to start getting the movement back.
    but should hopefully make a good recovery :)
    at the moment i can barely move it, fingers are working thouhg

never won that euromillions in the end..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Good luck with Recovery Phase 2.
    Well done on the thread, you can never be reminded enough about the unexpected....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

I remember reading this first time around, sorry didnt post back then.. - thanks for the update though subway, hope you still got your chin up man

fingers crossed for your recovery

subway wrote:
    never won that euromillions in the end..

Well least you can still make a joke about it man. Thats something. Hopefully you can make a good recovery from it all. And if that doesn't happen, hopefully you can get a lot of money for it. Who needs EuroMillions when you have some gobshíte to do a U turn in front of you to take care of everything :rolleyes:

GL man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Hard luck Subway, I've been a u-turn casualty myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Glad to hear you're ok subway and on the mend.

• Advertisement

cheers for the support fellas.
    back to work tomorrow for me.
    everythings on the mend.

just back from holidays in greece, pretty p*ssed off i couldnt ride over there.
    lovely scenery (dodgy roads and drivers but lovely scenery ;) )
    and some seriously nice machinery available to rent.
    sparkling gs1200,
    k6 gsxr1000 with full akrpaovic systems,
    06 cbr1000 in rc211v repsol colors,
    the list goes on :( and all for around 10 euro a day

if only my arm wasnt fecked, someday soon ill be back on 2 wheels :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

10 euro a day! Imagine the price of that here! :eek:

Advertisement