Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vat/vrt Help

Options
  • 03-05-2007 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Just spotted a northern ireland dealer doing a brand new 1.5dci Renault senic for £10,795
    according to my calculations if the dealer can sell the car vat free to me for export (to the republic) ;
    ex vat price = €13,674 (£9,340)
    x 21% vat = € 2,871
    vrt = € 6543 (according to the online vrt calculator on ros)
    _______
    total =€23.088

I have read a lot of the threads here and dont want to wait 3 months to try and save the vat or any of that stuff.
    my question is, is the calculation correct because if it is i represents a significant saving on the price of a diesel in the republic.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Pay the Vat in the UK its only 17.5% there,then bring it down and pay the VRT.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC the VAT *has* to be paid down here!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Doesn't the VAT have to be paid in both the UK and Ireland? You definately have to pay the VAT down here if the car is new.

The question is can a dealer sell you the car up North without charging you the UK VAT?

** Edit ** I think there is a form that is signed by the dealer (or the buyer can't remember) that states that the vehicle is to be exported to another country so no VAT has to be payed in the UK. If you had to pay it it could be claimed back in any event.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

marco_polo wrote:

The question is can a dealer sell you the car up North without charging you the UK VAT?
    You are only exempt if you produce an irish vat number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭WILKEL

thanks for all the replies guys,
    the problem appears to be the vat - has anyone got a car in without paying the vat in the country of origin ( ie the uk) or is there much hassle getting your vat back from the uk exchequer if you can prove that you paid it here as well ?
    the price difference is approx €2500 on the best cash price that i can get in the south if my figures are correct.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The revenue are tightning down on VAT fraudsters. Last year several high end cars were impounded for trying to avoid paying VAT (the vehicle was registered abroad for more than six months before being transferred here despite the owner living here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

Theres allot of pub talk going on here.

Procedure for a new car:

Inform the dealer that you are bringing it down south(he does not require an irish VAT number) prob fill a form. He will not charge you any UK VAT. You will get export number plates of him(valid for about a week) and you will be able to insure the car, you then go to your local VRT office and pay both the VAT & VRT.

Watch it though because it will not be as cheap as you think as VRT and VAT will be based on the Irish price not the price you paid for it. Remember also that the manufactures charge irish dealers less for car than most of thier european counterparts due to the high VRT rates so its unlikely you will save a whole heap on a new car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭WILKEL

patsyh wrote:
    Theres allot of pub talk going on here.

Procedure for a new car:

Inform the dealer that you are bringing it down south(he does not require an irish VAT number) prob fill a form. He will not charge you any UK VAT. You will get export number plates of him(valid for about a week) and you will be able to insure the car, you then go to your local VRT office and pay both the VAT & VRT.

Watch it though because it will not be as cheap as you think as VRT and VAT will be based on the Irish price not the price you paid for it. Remember also that the manufactures charge irish dealers less for car than most of thier european counterparts due to the high VRT rates so its unlikely you will save a whole heap on a new car

- as regards the vat , a revenue offical told me this afternoon that the vat would be charged on the invoice amount from the dealer - vrt is based on the open market selling price.

Advertisement