Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Surfing in Mayo this weekend??

Options
  • 03-05-2007 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I'm heading to mayo this weekend and was wondering where the best place is for a beginner? i'm staying in louisburgh and heard something before about surfing down there?? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

I've never surfed in Mayo myself but have a look at this
    Carrowniskey Strand is the name
    http://www.kitesurfing.ie/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=66

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

Carrowniskey ain't bad with the right conditions. It's about 10 minute drive after Louisburgh if you're heading from Westport. It faces pretty much west so if there's any west in the wind at all it will be well blown out. You gotta get it with either no wind or an easterly.....so i reckon it'll be pretty crap if you go by www.windguru.com
    Carrowmore is the first right after Louisburgh - it faces north so might suit the wind better - it's a bit more sheltered though so you need a bit of swell to get the waves up. If you're in that are you might be as well to drive up to Achill. Keel faces South and Doogort faces North - so between them 3 you gotta West Facing, A South and A North - the only thing to be seen is whether the swell will be any good in any of the places that are offshore.
    Lackan area (only about 45 mins from where ya'll be) might be a bet - that faces north-northeast so is offshore on a south-southwesterly.
    You guys never hear of www.wannasurf.com??

Advertisement