Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milan vs. Liverpool CL Final

• 03-05-2007 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

I figure we should just start a new thread and let it grow and grow and grow :)

I'd like to open with a prediction
    Milan to win 17-0, 3-0 up at half time, then when everything thinks magic happens again, Kaka scores an incredible 14 goals, to be officially classed as the greatest footballer of all time :P

Milan will be in black and red as they are the home team, Liverpool will be in an away strip, which I assume will be the white one.

Neither team have any suspensions going into the game, neither team have anything else to play for, so they will be entirely focused on this game for the coming 3 weeks.

Either way, I think, after last time, and Liverpools inability to deal with Milan offensively, we will probably see Milan scoring. My gut says Milan will win, but ya never know, Gerrard likes cup finals :)

Who will win the CL Final? 51 votes

Liverpool (Liverpool fans)
    0%
    Milan (Milan fan :))
    68%
    dardozPiEVokesThanx 4 The FishDont be at yourselfkaimerasuper_furryzAbboLizardKingKoneTCP/IPGuy:Incognitop.petegucciWasterRE*AC*TORIrishMikeraven136wanabeDub13 35 votes
    Liverpool
    13%
    SeanehDerekD GoldfishChongYeatsCountyiregktdvROCKMAN 7 votes
    Milan
    17%
    GuanYin_blank_evad_lhorg[Deleted User]Mitch ConnorkinaldosweetieherbieflowersMr Alan 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Think they can take Milan myself. Before Tuesday I wasnt sure but if they put in the same fight I can see it. As said in the other thread, Liverpool had to work/denend their socks off to beat Chelsea. Theyre psyched by what you might call a dry run. Milan, on the other hand, were probably just as psyched but had it too easy last night. Last night was not the type of "practice" match you want for a final.

Very close to call. Id rate Reina as superior goalie so if it goes to penos (which it well could) Id narrowly call the pool.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd like to think Liverpool will win, but if Milan and kaka in particular, play well it will be very tough. I am rarely optimistic about big games involving liverpool, so I love being wrong.

If Milan don't play well though then I reckon pool have an excellent chance in a battle type match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Milan
    I think Liverpool will win it.

Zenden to score the winner :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

ET and penos again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

They need to let them take a 3-0 lead into half time, then Milan will be right where they want them :) (Actually, as an aside, what kind of odds would you get on Milan to lead 3-0 and Liverpool to win on penalties??)

Anyway after watching both semi finals, I'd have to go with Milan. And this isn't me talking as a United fan jealous of Liverpool reaching the final, I just thought Milan were awesome and, like they were hungry last night to avenge their Old Trafford defeat, they will be hungry to avenge 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Liverpool offer Milan a very different set of problems.

1. A very combatative midfield. Mascherano / Sissoko and to a lesser extent Alonso are all top defensive midfielders, and Gerrard can put in a good tackle too.

2. An 11 man - 100% work ethic - Milan will get very little time on the ball in any position on the pitch.

3. A much bigger aerial threat up front. Peter Crouch is the kind of opponent Milan would have little experience of.

4. Tactical nous. Benitez will tailor Liverpool's game plan to Milan. The next three weeks will probably involve analysing hours and hours of Milan videos. All focus will be on that tie in training.

Milan are a good team, but in my opinion are not nearly as good as the 2005 team. Liverpool are almost certainly much improved, and arguably have already dispensed better teams in the competition (Barca, Chelski). Of course, in a one-game format anything can happen. Gerrard could be anonymous, Reina could have an early-season type mistake, Milan could just pass their way through Liverpool with ease, while Liverpool punt long ball after long ball upfield, which Milan dispense with ease.

5starpool wrote:
    I'd like to think Liverpool will win, but if Milan and kaka in particular, play well it will be very tough. I am rarely optimistic about big games involving liverpool, so I love being wrong.

If Milan don't play well though then I reckon pool have an excellent chance in a battle type match.

Indeed, a recent Liverpool problem is that the old reliables (Kuyt, Gerrard, Crouch) have not been in top form lately, compared to Kaka at least. Theyre not playing awful, but theyre not their usual self. Ive a feeling this wont be a goalfest, two a piece maybe. Liverpools main advantages over them in my view:

Reina is better than Dida

The defence played exceptionally on Tuesday. Milans defence on the other hand didnt have much to do.

The primary drawback is that Milan want revenge. Its a grudge match. Added to that the fact Italian football has alot to prove after recent disasters.

I can see a single goal seperating it. 2-1, 1-0 and tbh its nearly impossible to call but Ill go out on one and say Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Milan
    I reckon Liverpool will win it.

Milan played amazingly last night, but they were helped by a shambolic United performance, and terrible defending. Whatever esle i might say about liverpool, their defence and organization throughout the team is top notch.

I would be surprised if Gerrard did not start on the right, with Mascherano/Sissoko in the centre with Alonso. This defensive formation (and pool fans be fair, it is kinda defensive) will not gift Kaka and Seedorf the freedom to do whatever teh hell they want to like United did, and I still don't think Inzaghi or Gilardino are all that great.

I think the match could be decided on which team handles Gerrard and Kaka better, and the man of the match award will probably go to either Mascherano or Gattuso.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

5starpool wrote:

I tend to agree. If Milan are anyway below par on the night, Liverpool will take advantage of it. However, if Milan play like they did against Man Utd in the semi's, then I feel it would be very dofficult for Liverpool to win.

Also, in 2005 Liverpool took advantage of a "lapse in concentration" of milan and knoced in 3 goals in tha amazing 8 minute spell. Milan will have learned that harsh lesson and, I would assume, wont let it happen again.

I'd like to see Liverpool winning it, but Milan may want to make up for 2005, and that's why I think (as of now) that Milan will win the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I'll get back to this thread later as the weeks progress, or we can start a new thread .....
    But for now ....
    PHB wrote:
    Milan to win 17-0, 3-0 up at half time, then when everything thinks magic happens again, Kaka scores an incredible 14 goals

I was surprised to see you PHB start a thread about the Liverpool-Milan final, so soon after last night, but then reading what you wrote above, it smacks of bitterness and facetiousness. You are a Man Utd supporter, correct?

Such bevahiour from a mod too ..... hmmmm .... where's the military police when you need them?

Losing is hard, but learning to lose gracefully is a life lesson that many around here should pick up perhaps.

You will be listened to when you are serious.

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

^redspider, PHB isn't a mod on this forum and his post is just mostly tongue and cheek i think :)

Back to the match - Sissoko / Mascherano / Alonso all 3 will play to stifle Milan midfield quartet with Gerrard on the wing. Plus Harry to score the winner in the 120th min :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I want Liverpool but if Milan win I'll gladly congratulate them. It would be nice to see Maldini (a true legend) lift the cup again.

But you never know what Liverpool will turn out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Milan to win based on their attacking last night!

redspider wrote:
    I was surprised to see you PHB start a thread about the Liverpool-Milan final, so soon after last night, but then reading what you wrote above, it smacks of bitterness and facetiousness. You are a Man Utd supporter, correct?

Losing is hard, but learning to lose gracefully is a life lesson that many around here should pick up perhaps.

Redspider

Here here, Ive seen some of the most childish, mindless waffle on this forum over the last few days. Im personally sorry theyre not in the final as it would have been a lesser equivalent of Ireland v England in the WC final, but you cant help but smile when you think of people saying Liverpool played rubbish out of mindless spite, making ludicrous scoreline predictions and putting "Man U trebele winners 2007" before the fact.

Mind you I can see PHB was joking, no prob with this thread/post in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Hmmm were Milan not the "home" team last time as well and they came to some agreement about jerseys?

Not that it's gonna happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think Milan will win, its set up for them perfectly. Revenge for 2005 in the year they shouldnt of been allowed in the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Milan
    anyon else looking forward to the champions league third place play off in wembley on the 19th of may?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Hang your heads in shame bitter ones...LFC all the way...6 times...:)

Face it, Liverpool are the Kings of Europe, all you Man Utd & Chelsea fans just can't handle that you are NOT good enough for the top prize...we are.

It will be a great game, I back Liverpool to win this.

I would also like to thank Man Utd for my lovely €200 that I won in the bookies thanks to my correct prediction of a 3-0 thrashing.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Milan
    yea milan agreed to let Liverpool wear the red in 2005 (Liverpool have been wearing red everytime they won the European cup/champions league)

but considering how that finished last time, can't see Milan repeating the favour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

both teams form going into the final will mean nothing. Just look at what happened 2yrs ago.

I think Liverpool will win but its a final and a one-off game so you never know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

redspider wrote:

Such bevahiour from a mod too ..... hmmmm .... where's the military police when you need them?

Redspider

Thanks for the life lesson, here's one for you,

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm

Of course, that's not to suggest that you actually read my whole post, cause like two lines later I outline my real views on the game, but alas, perhaps you could learn another life lesson.

Gee, it's fun being on a nice high horse, I think I'll run with it, there's probably far too much not reading the whole post on this boards, something a lot of people are guilty of.

That said, nobody else picked up on it. It's as if they realised I wasn't being serious.

Gee, it's fun up here, careful, or I might fall down.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

redspider wrote:
    I'll get back to this thread later as the weeks progress, or we can start a new thread .....
    But for now ....

Redspider
    lol, I've seen sarcasm go right over your head before, but this takes the biscuit.

Anyway, this one is very tough to call. I think we know what we're going to get from Liverpool, but Milan are a bit more enigmatic. Someone mentioned that Liverpool have already seen off Barca and Chelsea, superior teams to Milan, but neither of them really played like they can against Liverpool. Milan would have beaten both of them the way they played last night. If Milan can impose their game, Liverpool will find it tough going.

I'll go for a late goal to win it for Milan. I certainly wouldn't put money it though.

PHB wrote:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm
    Of course, that's not to suggest that you actually read my whole post.
    That said, nobody else picked up on it.
    Gee, it's fun up here, careful, or I might fall down.

But why bother saying something like that the day after Man Utd get knocked out by the same said Milan? If it was a Liverpool supporter writing it, say like mike65 or whoever else, I'd see it and smile and understand it as a bit of fun. But in this case I looked more at the messenger rather than the message and saw perhaps some sneaky bait. Just questioning it.

I did read your whole post, where you thought that Milan would do it unless Gerrard did his 'cup thing'. Again, a smiley at the end, so hard to know if you were being sarcastic again and getting a dig in.

Emotional intentions get lost in posts sometimes or indeed a lot of times, so I was questioning your intentions.

You are a Man Utd supporter, correct? You didnt answer.

Of course you may be a magnaminous Man Utd supporter, someone able to criticize their own team (and other teams, such as Liverpool - I know I do enough of it) where need be as much as anyone else, and praise where warranted, and from what I recall of your posts down through the years that may very well be the case.

You could also volunteer to delete the questionable paragraph ....

Other people did pick up on it. shane86 and sofaking ....

Anyway, I'm not here to rile over 'small beer'.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

In all fairness (if I recall) PHBs post in the utd Milan thread was quite gracious in defeat. He accepted that Milan were by far the better team. I also think (again not sure) that he gave Liverpool a little praise and thought that they were the better team over two legs.

Other people did pick up on it. shane86 and sofaking ....

Shane86:
    Mind you I can see PHB was joking, no prob with this thread/post in particular.

sofaking:
    ^redspider, PHB isn't a mod on this forum and his post is just mostly tongue and cheek i think :P
    But in this case I looked more at the messenger rather than the message and saw perhaps some sneaky bait. Just questioning it.

Yeh, really clever bait. Gee, my goal was quite clearly to rile Liverpool fans up.
    I can see it now,
    Liverpool fan

Kaka will not score 14 goals. You're stupid.

Blame war begins :rolleyes:

[Just in case you didn't notice, sarcasm]
    You could also volunteer to delete the questionable paragraph ....

Well that wouldn't make much sense would it.
    If I did it in jest, then I'd be happy with my jest.
    If I was trying to create a flame war like you implied, surely I'd want it to continue. Then again, maybe I would be annoyed at the failure, and change it to get a good discussion going. Sure there is nothing more enjoyable than arguing that Liverpool are a crap team, right?

Oh btw, to answer your question,
    RoRoRo is the future
    Ronaldo - Rossi - Rooney.

There seems to be an obsession with who started the posts on this board, I myself am guilty of assuming certain opinions are from specific sets of fans, but come on, 14 goals?????
    Like if I said 5, then maybe, just maybe you could think I was serious, but 14?

I'll ask for the 3rd time, are you a Man Utd fan PHB?
    I take it by your non-answer that you are.

So, if the answer is yes, why would a Man Utd fan start a Liverpool Milan thread the very next day.... ??? And you think I have no grounds for some suspiscion ....

sarcasm: a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark

Anyway, its 'small beer', so why bother defending it so vociferously .... hmmmm.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

redspider wrote:

So, if the answer is yes, why would a Man Utd fan start a Liverpool Milan thread the very next day.... ??? And you think I have no grounds for some suspiscion ....

id imagine its to talk about football

he has always come across as a balanced man u fan, as you have a liverpool one, but maybe im not so sure now

it was said in jest, let it go

and anyway can you only make a thread about your own team now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

redspider wrote:
    PHB wrote:
    Oh btw, to answer your question,
    RoRoRo is the future
    Ronaldo - Rossi - Rooney.

In fairness, he made it pretty clear that he is indeed a Man Utd fan. Surely to God you knew that anyway. Anyone with even a passing interest in the soccer forum knows this.

As others have said you're a cracking poster and I enjoy reading your thoughts but this whole suspicion thing is just weird.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

PHB wrote:

Either way, I think, after last time, and Liverpools inability to deal with Milan offensively, we will probably see Milan scoring. My gut says Milan will win, but ya never know, Gerrard likes cup finals :)

why have liverpool an inability to deal with their offense? just because they made utd look like a bunch of amateurs doesn't mean liverpool can't handle them at the back. Or are you purely going on a game from 2 years ago with a lot of different players (prob only 5 of the same team for liverpool)? Milan are good going forward but liverpool are excellent defensively and tactically.

you first post is very trollish in fairness and then the old 'was only messing' thing is a bit sad..

• Advertisement

I find it funny that you insist that you read my whole post before hand, but when you read my last post, you somehow passed over the very exact, 'To answer your question'

I suppose it's possible you thought me saying Ronaldo Rossi and Rooney is the future, it is possible I'm actually a Shels fan, and I have deep hopes all three of those will be signed. Then again, that'd be pretty stupid.

Em, well, ya see.
    Before the Man Utd Milan match, I didn't know who was in the final.
    After that match, I knew who was in the final.
    Being on an internet discussion forum, I thought it might be interesting to discuss football, and since the CL final is pretty big, maybe we could discuss that.

That's pretty much my whole thought process, I wonder what do you think my thought process is?

p.s. This really is the most absurd conversation I think I've ever had on a board forum. And I used to post on the counter-strike forum when I was a teenager.
    why have liverpool an inability to deal with their offense? just because they made utd look like a bunch of amateurs doesn't mean liverpool can't handle them at the back. Or are you purely going on a game from 2 years ago with a lot of different players (prob only 5 of the same team for liverpool)? Milan are good going forward but liverpool are excellent defensively and tactically.

Well since I'm a United fan, obviously, I think United's defense is the best in the world, much better than Liverpool. Therefore, since Milan beat United 3-0, logically speaking, Milan will beat Liverpool at least 3-0, maybe more. I am a United fan afterall.

Why do I think Liverpool will be unable to deal with Milan offensively? Well, it's cause of one small word.
    Kaka.

Kaka was the one who destroyed Liverpool in the first half in 2005, and this year, he has scored 10 goals in 12 games in the CL.

PHB wrote:
    I I wonder what do you think my thought process is?

Well since I'm a United fan, obviously, I think United's defense is the best in the world, much better than Liverpool. Therefore, since Milan beat United 3-0, logically speaking, Milan will beat Liverpool at least 3-0, maybe more.

Why do I think Liverpool will be unable to deal with Milan offensively? Well, it's cause of one small word.
    Kaka.

Kaka was the one who destroyed Liverpool in the first half in 2005, and this year, he has scored 10 goals in 12 games in the CL.

Your thought process is obviously bitter and warped at this point in time judging by your football response above. Or are we supposed to know what is going on in your mind and guess that you are just having a laugh? Its snide sarcasm and unwelcome.

Look, you lost, go grieve. Its okay to do so. Let it out.

Then come back when you are ready and serious, to talk football. And I wont hold it against you.

redspider

Ok, this is getting funny...

Can somebody explain to me what is happening here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Milan
    could we maybe talk about the final instead of this petty squabbling?

The key for Liverpool is if they can close dwon the space like they did against Chelsea. If they do this they have an excellent chance. Hopefully their strikers will be up for it...I can see Kuyt and Crouch causing problems for the Milan defence...that said Milan looked very slick last night, and could produce another great performance (perhaps a final swansong?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭ballroom blitz

The fact is Kaka!!!! Anyone see Dunphy last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Milan
    The fact is Kaka!!!! Anyone see Dunphy last night?

Haha, Kaka is reality...although I think their emphasis on Kaka' took away from what was an excellent team performance, every player on that side gave 110% last night it wasn't merely Kaka' (although he was the pinnacle)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i cant believe how much Seedorf has improved as the season has gone on. Back to his best form now, been cracking in the last few games scoring plenty of important goals and setting up others. i think he'll be nearly just as big a threat as Kaka - important not to forget him.

All in all, it'll be a close affair id say, livrpool will play their usual CL game, high tempo gung ho - but hopefully with more cutting edge then of late. At this this type of play will disrupt Milan and stop the flow they had against Man U. The defence will have to be vigilant and always concentrating though.

My starting team to go up against Milan would be;

Reina
    Finnan---Carra---Agger---Riise

Mascherano--Alonso----
    Pennant

Gerrard

Kuyt---Crouch

Wouldnt trust Arbeloa just yet for this game, and Bellamy will have to up his game in the remaining league fixtures to warrent a start, though could be good to capitalise on Milans defence in the last 20 when they're a little tired.

Gonzalez on the bench too, so we can drop one of the central two, move gerrard center from his roving position and throw gonzalez on for all out attack, if searching for a late goal or something.

I think the key to stopping Milan is to stop Kaka.
    I think a midfield trio of Sissoko, Alonso, and Mascherano.
    Then play Gerrard on the right, Gonzalez on the left (to test Milan's aging defense) and Crouchy up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

**** sake, enough of the gloating ****. nobodys won a thing yet this season appart from chelsea, and the charity shield doesnt count.

while the 2005 final was a huge success for the tactical clout of benitez, it was also a major defeat. his selection to start the match was flawed, he left out the one man that could stop kaka and thus stop milan. but the talent of benitez is his ability to spot his mistakes and rectify them, having seen the devastation of liverpool in the first half in '05 and the 90 minutes last night, i'm sure he's acutely aware of how to stop milan.

and while reality is kaka, perfection is benitez, there wont be 6 goals or anything like it scored in the final, its going to be very tight and tbh, i wont be suprised to see it have to be settled from the penalty spot again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote:
    I think the key to stopping Milan is to stop Kaka.
    I think a midfield trio of Sissoko, Alonso, and Mascherano.
    Then play Gerrard on the right, Gonzalez on the left (to test Milan's aging defense) and Crouchy up front.

I think thats far too defensive. Three defensive central midfielders ? Pennant HAS to play. I'll put my hand up and say that I had no confidence in him at the start of the season and thought he was a bad signing but he has been on fire lately. He has been our most creative and attacking outlet.

Reina

Finnan
    Carragher--Agger----Riise

Pennant----Alonso---Mascherano---Gerrard

Kuyt---Crouch

If Kewell impresses over the next couple of games he could play on the left with Gerrard playing off Kuyt or Crouch although I dont think this is even close to his best position.

i dunno, thats very very negative phb, given there will only be 1 striker for milan, thats 7 defensive players to counter Pippo/Gila, Seedorf and Kaka.

I think 2 from the 3 DMC's you mentioned would be enough. Pool's success in these big games has come from always moving forward, not necesarily with cutting edge, but just keeping the pressure on and the ball in their half. If we're playing for a draw fair enough, but if pool want to go out and win it 2DMC's is enough..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Alonso and Masch in the center is too defensive. That's why Alonso was dropped for the 2nd leg; we needed to create more through the middle but also needed to keep some bite in there. Milan aren't all that great, everything just clicked for them last night much like it clicked for Utd against Roma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Milan will win.

Because they will not underestimate Liverpool again
    Because they will pace themselves properly
    Because it's unlikely Gerrard can con another ref in another final
    Because Dida may not be great, but is unlikely to make the same degree of mistakes as last time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

nipplenuts wrote:
    Milan will win.

Because they will not underestimate Liverpool again
    Because they will pace themselves properly
    Because it's unlikely Gerrard can con another ref in another final
    Because Dida may not be great, but is unlikely to make the same degree of mistakes as last time

you make it sound like its milans party and liverpool have just been invited

theres 2 teams here dude, 2, liverpool are well capable of tearing milan appart, just as much as milan are capable of doing the same to liverpool, we saw both scenarios in the 1 match in 2005.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

PHB wrote:
    Ok, this is getting funny...

Can somebody explain to me what is happening here?
    You appear to be getting trolled by redspider. Most amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Tusky wrote:
    I think thats far too defensive. Three defensive central midfielders ? Pennant HAS to play. I'll put my hand up and say that I had no confidence in him at the start of the season and thought he was a bad signing but he has been on fire lately. He has been our most creative and attacking outlet.

Reina

Finnan
    Carragher--Agger----Riise

Pennant----Alonso---Mascherano---Gerrard

Kuyt---Crouch

If Kewell impresses over the next couple of games he could play on the left with Gerrard playing off Kuyt or Crouch although I dont think this is even close to his best position.
    I thnk this a great lineup, Tusky - would like to see that one..

But I can easily see Rafa sticking with Zenden again for the sake of balance - Zenden on the left, Gerrard on the right with Mascherano / Alonso centre.

aye same as my own (had gerrard in his kinda left/roving thing mysef)

Really afraid you might be right about rafa Sofa, but hopefully not. Pennant deserves this final so much more the way hes been playing of late. Zenden is basically there as a makeweight till something better comes along.

Pennant right, Gerrard left > Gerrard Right, Zenden Left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Damn that poll, I wanted to vote Atari Jaguar :mad:

Anyway my second choice is Milan, purely because of Gattuso, I'd just love to see how he'd celebrate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

If Milan play like they did in the first half last night for 90 minutes I don't think Liverpool will be able to live with them. If they play like they did in the second half of the first leg I think Liverpool have a fighting chance. Milan will be eager for revenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

United were undone yesterday because they didn't have a single midfielder on the pitch willing to harrass and chase down the Milan midfield. Liverpool are overflowing with hard-working, battling central midfielders, so I can't see them stroll through our midfield as they did last night against United.

The Milan midfield plays fairly narrow, so Gerrard playing in off the left won't expose the fullback too much. That said, it's not a familiar position for him. He performed well in the centre against Chelsea, but with the creativity in Milan's midfield, defensive duties can't be left to Macherano alone.

Any chance of Luis Garcia being fit in time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Don't worry PHB, just search through your documents of posts made to this forum and i'm sure you'll be able to highlight examples of where you were being sarcastic in a similar manner to this thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement