Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milan vs. Liverpool CL Final

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Milan (Milan fan :))
    i wanna say pool will win it, but my gut just says no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

United were undone yesterday because they didn't have a single midfielder on the pitch willing to harrass and chase down the Milan midfield. Liverpool are overflowing with hard-working, battling central midfielders, so I can't see them stroll through our midfield as they did last night against United.

The Milan midfield plays fairly narrow, so Gerrard playing in off the left won't expose the fullback too much. That said, it's not a familiar position for him. He performed well in the centre against Chelsea, but with the creativity in Milan's midfield, defensive duties can't be left to Macherano alone.

Any chance of Luis Garcia being fit in time?
    Garcia isnt in the squad anymore. He was replaced by Mascherano.

I originally called for a 3 DM situation with one striker but I trust in Rafa. He won't make the same selection mistake as 2005 as he learns from mistakes.
    Either way I'm anticipating this match and if Milan play as good as they did last night I'll gladly celebrate their victory. Though if Liverpool win again I'll probably cry with emotion. I'd be so happy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Don't worry PHB, just search through your documents of posts made to this forum and i'm sure you'll be able to highlight examples of where you were being sarcastic in a similar manner to this thread.

I'll get right on that, oh wait, there's another example.

---

I thought Garcia was out for the season? If not, he'd be great to have back, scores big big goals.
    I don't think it's too defensive to be honest.
    I could see an argument for Pennant, he has been a lot better, maybe put Gerrard on the left and Pennant on the right.

I think the formation would be a kind of 4-2-3-1

With the front looking like this

Macherano---Sissoko
    -Pennant
    Gerrard-
    Crouch

I think that while Liverpool do like to play a defensive game in the oppositions half (if you know what I mean, like keeping the ball high up the pitch, not losing possesion, hassling the center backs etc.), this doesn't necessarily preclude it. If anything, having Gerrard further up the pitch encourages it, and Alonso, Pennant and Crouch will follow his example.

While Alonso is a DMC, he can pass with the best of them, and isn't exactly not able to play a more attacking game.
    I think the best way to beat Milan is to tire them out, and this sort of formation would both keep possession incredibly well, and also get it back rather quick too, especially with the high tempo they will set.
    In short, cage Kaka, the rest should come easily.
    Obviously Seedorf is incredible, but he is oldish now, and doesn't have the legs to find as much space as he would need against a midfield this packed. Kaka can always find pace, but the combination of Sissoko and Mascherano can deal with him.

With an attacking line up of Pennant, Alonso, Gerrard and Crouch, I think Liverpool will have a good chance of getting a goal.

If Liverpool try to play football in this game, they will get punished just like United did. Milan are far too experienced to be swept away by nice passing movements, mostly because of Gattuso and Nesta.
    Get em tired, then hit em with a Gerrard belter would be the plan I think would work best.

That said, I don't think you can cage Kaka, so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think it's a bit of a cliche to say that Milan will tire quicker than Liverpool, or that they no longer have the legs. Last night their midfield was up and down that pitch like lightning for much of the game, and closed down the opposition before they could settle on the ball. They didn't show any signs to me of lacking stamina or fitness. And that was on the back of a weekend game, whereas both teams will be 100% fresh going into the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I think to have that system work with only Crouch on his own, its imperative to have Gerrard playing centrally off his flicks, headers, etc.. Otherwise he could be so easily marked out of the game by Nesta when isolated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Slurms wrote:
    Garcia isnt in the squad anymore. He was replaced by Mascherano.

I originally called for a 3 DM situation with one striker but I trust in Rafa. He won't make the same selection mistake as 2005 as he learns from mistakes.

The selection mistake he made in 2005 was not having DM. Gerrard and Alonso got torn to apart. Gerrard is a liablilty in the centre. We need 2 from Mascherano/sissoko/alonso.

I'd pick all 3 and have gerrard playing off crouch.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

PHB wrote:

Kaka was the one who destroyed Liverpool in the first half in 2005, and this year, he has scored 10 goals in 12 games in the CL.

ok get it now, you are posting based on a team that doesn't exist anymore.
    nice work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i think pools best bet is not to let milan settle and move the ball as freely as they did vs. utd.
    tbh, both sissoko & masch are better then o shea and fletcher in the centre mid but if pool want to win this game and not draw then they would be better with a 4-4-2.

Reina

-Finnan--Carragher--Agger--Risse-

Alonso----Gerrard
    -Pennant
    Gonzales-

Crouch---Kuyt

that would be their best attacking option and that formation would certainly not let milan settle, keep at them and keep pushing. Gerrard wouldnt be able to storm up the pitch as much as he would like to in this set up but it would certainly make for a better match :)

but the reality is that as much as i love him, rafa is a paranoid man so in that regard my pick for a paranoid formation would be

Reina

-Finnan--Carragher--Agger--Risse-

Mascherano--Sissoko
    -Gerrard
    Alonso
    Zenden-

Kuyt

that would make for a dull dull game but would easily keep milan at bay at frustrate them so much that they might make a mistake and from this maybe then liverpool might score... (but not with Kuyts lack of pace, but i still cant bring myself to start bellamy in a CL final :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

5starpool wrote:
    I'd like to think Liverpool will win, but if Milan and kaka in particular, play well it will be very tough. I am rarely optimistic about big games involving liverpool, so I love being wrong.

If Milan don't play well though then I reckon pool have an excellent chance in a battle type match.

Feel pretty much the exact same way. Defo think that Milan are favourites to win but there is no doubting that we are capable of beating them. I voted for Milan by the way. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

copacetic wrote:
    ok get it now, you are posting based on a team that doesn't exist anymore.
    nice work.

Pool fans do a fair share of that themselves TBH.

PHB is expressing his opinion , there is no need for the sniping he has endured in this thread. If you want a one sided discussion try a dedicated Liverpool Forum this is not quite in that catagory just yet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

And as long as PHB has you to back him up I think that the samaritans can hold back on employing a dedicated person to deal with the emotional scarring that is being inflicted upon him, I am sure he should be well able for it anyway considering the amount of similar style postings he himself makes across the soccer forum.

And as for this not yet becoming a Liverpool forum "yet..", if you feel that strongly about the problem that you constantly maintain is an issue, despite endless FACTS to the contrary, then go. It's not hard, just stop posting in a place that causes you so much heartache.

Anyway, I voted for a yes liverpool will win, but it was more of a hopeful yes than a I think they will win it yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Let the games begin !

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/05/04/SOCCER_Liverpool_Gattuso.html&TEAMHD=soccer

Gattuso only winding Liverpool up with this shíte (even if he believes it). Hes gonna look like a right clown if they bottle it again :o

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The Muppet wrote:
    Pool fans do a fair share of that themselves TBH.

PHB is expressing his opinion , there is no need for the sniping he has endured in this thread. If you want a one sided discussion try a dedicated Liverpool Forum this is not quite in that catagory just yet..

well if a pool fan does it I'm sure someone will pull them up. I'm not saying PHB hasn't got the right to his opinion. I'm just saying it is rubbish and it isn't based on facts.. (in the nicest possible way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just a little warning for all you superstitious Liverpool out there, of which I know there are plenty if the 2005 final is anything to go by. Pope dying, Prince Charles getting married, etc.

I just read in the paper this morning that Pepe Reina's dad was in the Atlectico Madrid side beaten 4-0 by Bayern Munich after the 1974 final went to a replay. :p

Hope loosing in finals doesn't run in the family....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Not sure if it was posted before but AC Milan have decided to play in white so we get to play in red!

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N155835070504-0954.htm

• Advertisement

Just looking at the poll results so far and my inkling, as mentioned in another thread, that Liverpool wouldn't get the same amount of support from the neutrals this time was right. Personally I don't really mind who wins, I just want to see a cracking match and hopefully the better team will go through on the night.

And as long as PHB has you to back him up I think that the samaritans can hold back on employing a dedicated person to deal with the emotional scarring that is being inflicted upon him, I am sure he should be well able for it anyway considering the amount of similar style postings he himself makes across the soccer forum.

Indeed, I am emotionally scared. Wait, was that sarcastic, I can never tell?

---

Anyone know why Milan want to wear white? Surely you'd want your home kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

PHB wrote:
    Indeed, I am emotionally scared. Wait, was that sarcastic, I can never tell?

---

Anyone know why Milan want to wear white? Surely you'd want your home kit?

because they've won four or five of their european cups in white.

...that wasnt sarcasm by the way.

Hehe, I couldn't tell, but don't Liverpool have a similar record in their red jersey?

Phew. I didn't want the team to be lifting the cup in our away jersey! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

PHB wrote:
    Hehe, I couldn't tell, but don't Liverpool have a similar record in their red jersey?

yeh, but i havent seen corrie in a while so i dont know what ken and deirdre's marital status is, so we may have no hope this year

yeh, but i havent seen corrie in a while so i dont know what ken and deirdre's marital status is, so we may have no hope this year

You know, I think it's possible, somewhere, somehow, some Liverpool fan is considering killing the Pope for the good of the team :)

And perhaps another is trying to get the leg over Camilla to get Charles back out on the pull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ken and deirdre are lookin dodgy, plenty of scope for them to break up and then get remarried.

Not that i watch it or anything.

I voted pool win (pool fan), but im anything but certain of it. Blind faith really. Theres a certain hint of destiny about Milan's run this year, only scraping into the competition thanks to repeated appeals, a struggling season in which they've finally started pulling out some serious form, all the shenanigans with italian football last year then them going on to win the WC - almost fitting to do the same with club football, and then of course the biggest one - Maldini finishing his career lifting the Champions League trophy again.

One things for sure is that it will be a close game, no quarter given or asked, probably quite ugly and very empassioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

two weeks to go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Milan
    Haha, Fergie thinks Milan will definitely beat Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Milan should win , the football they produce is on a different level to that of Liverpool

Milan should win , the football they produce is on a different level to that of Liverpool

Yeah. Barcelona would probably beat Liverpool 10-0 as well.

Oh, hang on a second! :)

It's the Champions League Final. If 2 years ago demonstrated anything, it's that it's a futile exercise to predict with any certainity who the winner will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They can produce amazing football.

Just because they did it against a Utd team which set a new world record for raising a white flag, doesn't mean they can do it all the time. They've been fairly bad in a large number of games this season, though admittedly they've found form at the right time.

They're not this all-conquering behemoth of a team some of you are making them out to be. Perfectly beatable.

I honastly think if Milan play as well against Liverpool as they did against United they will win. That said, If United had played as well against Milan as they did against Roma, they would have gone through.

People don't play at their best every time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Milan
    I think this Milan team in far far far inferior to the Milan team that Liverpool played in 2005.

Whereas i think this Liverpool team is far far superior to the team that played in 2005. (Players like Mascherano,Sissoko,Crouch,Kuyt etc)

The fact that Milan beat hammered United doesn't suddenly make them unbeatable. Their form this year has been average, didn't they even stumble through the group stages?

Ferguson writing of Liverpools chances is just a typical thing for him to do. Did it in 2005 and this year said United, Chelsea and Arsenal all had a great chance of winning it, failing to mention Liverpool. Shows what he knows when it comes to European football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Milan
    Why do you think this Milan team is far inferior? Gattuso, Kaka and Seedorf looked different players this season than they did back then imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Of course they're beatable, but Milan will be favourites (check with your bookmaker for that), but then, Liverpool probably prefer the title of underdog.

I think this Milan team in far far far inferior to the Milan team that Liverpool played in 2005.

People have been saying this, but I disagree.
    First off, their midfield has improved.
    Gattuso is better than he was, Pirlo is the same, and Kaka is immense, much better than he was 2 years ago.
    In defence, they are not as old, and play relatively unknown players to premiership watchers, but to Serie A watchers, they are pretty damm good. Nesta is still at his peak.

Up front they aren't what they used to be obviously, but imo, Mascherano or Sissoko aren't as good as Hammann was. Furthermore, no Garcia will be a blow. And in case anyone forgot, it was largely Garcia's goals that got Liverpool to the final.

I don't buy this whole Milan are ****ter and Liverpool are better thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

They had arguably better strikers and a better defence 2 years ago.

Whereas i think this Liverpool team is far far superior to the team that played in 2005. (Players like Mascherano,Sissoko,Crouch,Kuyt etc)

The fact that Milan beat hammered United doesn't suddenly make them unbeatable. Their form this year has been average, didn't they even stumble through the group stages?

Ferguson writing of Liverpools chances is just a typical thing for him to do. Did it in 2005 and this year said United, Chelsea and Arsenal all had a great chance of winning it, failing to mention Liverpool. Shows what he knows when it comes to European football.
    In fairness, what's he supposed to say? "Milan are brutal and we were beaten by an average team because we as a team are in fact woeful"

It's what managers do and most people, if knocked out of a cup, like to think that they were knocked out by the potential champions.

The fact of the matter is it's a Final and both teams deserve to be there and as is the case with knock out competitions it could go either way, but having said that, personally I wouldn't bet against Milan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Liverpool wont give Milan the same amount of space that United did. they will also be a lot more physical. i think it could go either way really. It'll probably be a crap match, both teams largely trying to stifle each other and hit on the counter. if Crouch plays, route one trough him could be the difference. he'll be an outlet United didn't have. it will largely depend on which team is more up for the game, both Milan and Liverpool can be damned hard to beat on their day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Milan
    PHB wrote:
    People have been saying this, but I disagree.
    First off, their midfield has improved.
    Gattuso is better than he was, Pirlo is the same, and Kaka is immense, much better than he was 2 years ago.
    In defence, they are not as old, and play relatively unknown players to premiership watchers, but to Serie A watchers, they are pretty damm good. Nesta is still at his peak.

Up front they aren't what they used to be obviously, but imo, Mascherano or Sissoko aren't as good as Hammann was. Furthermore, no Garcia will be a blow. And in case anyone forgot, it was largely Garcia's goals that got Liverpool to the final.

I don't buy this whole Milan are ****ter and Liverpool are better thing.

I'm not too sure if i agree with wat you are saying about the midfield. Gattusso seems to me to be very much the same player he was, gutsy,all heart, breaks up play well etc etc. Himself and Gerrard and gonna be knocking the **** out of eachother, seems to be no love lost there.

Kaka also seems to be the same, which is worrying because he was class in 2005, one of the best 45mins i've ever seen from a player in the first half.

As for Pirlot, I've never been able to make up my mind about how i rate him so i won't comment!

Granted i am basing my opinions 100% on champions league performances (don't watch Italian league).

Think that both Sissoko and Mashcerano are close to being able to do the same job as Hamman did with liverpool, on the3ir day, both of capable of putting in amazing performances (Sissoko against Barca) and both have a far superior engine.

Up front Milan were far far far far far far far superior in 2005 with Shevchenko and Crespo.

I'm not saying i'm sure Liverpool will win or anything like that. Just that they are more than capable of beating this Milan team.

Utd bottled it in the midfield and defence against Milan, gave them far too much space on the ball and time to play. Can't see Liverpool doing the same.
    and yes i reckon it will suit Liverpool to be underdogs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

PHB wrote:
    I honastly think if Milan play as well against Liverpool as they did against United they will win. That said, If United had played as well against Milan as they did against Roma, they would have gone through.

People don't play at their best every time :)
    I agree with that. And if that Milan team show up to Athens I'd gladly accept the loss. No shame in being beaten by the better team.
    For me, it's all about what team is up for it the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Milan will win, it's a forgone conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

hehe of course they will..sigh.

getting nearer now excitement is building, though being tempered by my exams but sure what can ya do.

I agree Milans midfield is slightly stronger then it was 2 years ago, Their defence is slightly weaker (though still top quality on their day), but the big big difference is up front. Crespo was running riot 2 years ago, amazing first half. If theres one area liverpool are best equipped to deal with its midfield so if id to pick a strong point to go up against it would be midfield. Id really worry for pool if Milan had quality strikers (eg if Ronaldo could play Champs League), but while they're relying on their midfield very heavily for inspiration and goals, pool have a decent chance.

When it comes down to it, once Pool give it their all, ill be happy enough whatever the result. If Milan win then its cause they brought their A game, but would hate to leave the final thinking what if we'd played to our best..Frankly anyone who cant motivate themselves to play the game of their lives for a champs league final shouldnt be playing football! I think it'll be a very tight game, a lot of huffing and puffing in midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Jesus that Milan team in 2005 was class wasn't it? Dida, Cafu, Maldini, Nesta, Stam, Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf, Kaka, Crespo, Shevchenko - world class to a man - there haven't been too many better teams assembled in recent times IMO. Anyway, I think Milan have declined largely due to the loss of Shevchenko but we've seen what they could do to United - with a performance like that they would surely do similar to Liverpool.

I do think Liverpool are stronger than United where it counts against Milan, however, in the area around Kaka. Be it Mascherano, Sissoko (both of whom are every bit a match for Hamann IMO) or even Alonso, Liverpool should have the players to at least limit his influence and match Gattuso physically. Could be an awful match, but I'm sure that's what people were saying last time.

Not sure who I want to win, but I think Milan will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Gattuso to get sent off in the first half :D I aint gonna stick a bet on cuz it usually happens when I don't but doesn't if i do :rolleyes: Liverpool aint got Smicer now :( Got the 2005 final UMD disc a while back so can watch it the week before goin to and from work on psp and relive the 1st half pain goin to work and the victory half comin home :D

Did I see somewhere Harry could be fit for the final?? Couldnt see him playin in it though after bein out. Don't think it would be the best for morale if did. Rest do the hard work with him out all season and he gets playin in the final :eek: . Would like to see Riise up in Midfield but with Aurelio out can't see it happenin. Doubt Arbelo (however spell it) or Zenden would be startin as LB.

I aint ....... meh i'll try to predict team.

Reina
    Finnan---Carragher---Agger----Riise
    Sissoko
    Alonso
    Mascerano----Gerrard
    Zenden(i'd prefer Gonzalez)
    Crouch

But hardly see a match no with no sky apart from european ones so who knows :P Maybe stick Arbeloa as LB & Riise as LMF, Swap alonso with Masc & Stick pennant in rmf, or Kuyt for Crouch :rolleyes:

Out of the scorers in 2005, Liverpool dont have Smicer, but we got Alonso and Gerrard :D , Milan got Maldini, but no Crespo who got 2 .... so....2-1 to Liverpool :D Can't see Reina lettin as many in as Dudek.

People sayin about Milan learnin from their mistakes.....Rafa learnt that at half time last match so got plenty of time to prepare for this one with the hindsight :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Seeing as last time out Milan would have won about 6 or 7 nil if Liverpool were capable of putting up a small fight in the first half, but couldn't, milan didn't come out of the dressing room after half time, they had already celebrated the win, then Liverpool scored 3 against a team that had dropped 3 or 4 gears and let Liverpool play against a disinterested team.

It reminds me of the turtle and the hare story...the turtle had absolutly no chance from start to finish, so the hare threw it all away by sitting against a tree eating a cadburys caramel, then by the time he copped on, the by far superior competitor had lost it and thrown it away as apposed to losing on ability!! :eek:

Milan wont make the same mistake twice, I predict 4 - 0 Milan, with an improved performance from Liverpool this time out.

Advertisement