Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

blackberry connect on non blackberries!

• 03-05-2007 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

hi guys

does anyone have experience with the blackberry connect software that comes with the p990i.
    Im with o2 and was thinking of changng my 25mb/€20 for the blackberry unlimited package.
    I'm aware that it isnt the full internet (eg it doesnt use the "internet" access point) but it uses wap.dol.ie access point..am i right?
    Can i use the built-in browser or is it just email thats available via bb connect?
    What i dont understand is that when i first signed up to o2, i got a bb pearl+ bb package, but i took it back because it didnt have the full internet because:
    a)couldnt use opera mini java app
    b)couldnt use the instant messenging client (im+)
    c)the pearl is a load of crap:eek: :eek:

...but now with my p990i (and my k800i before it) im using opera mini via the wap.dol.ie access point.
    im+ still only works via "internet" ap..but data transfer is so low..ill get over that!!!:p

FINALLY...can i just call o2 to add bb package to the plan,give my bb pin that comes bb connect and they'll set it up for me??

thanks in advance
    regards
    damo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

peoples experience on nokia e-series (e61 etc) would be usefull too.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I've only used BB connect on the E50. It worked fine. It was a vodafone device so internet was through Vodafone live (IIRC) and not as BB traffic back to our company proxy server. Email both from work (BES) and personal (BIS) was fine but you couldn't sync address book over the air but could do calendaring.

In the end I went back to a Blackberry (now have a pearl) because it suited me better.

Needless to say ymmv ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm using BB Connect on a Nokia e50. Once I use the O2 Active APN settings that came preloaded on it my browsing is coming out of my "unlimited" package.

I don't like Symbian phones to be honest and I find that Blackberry slows it down ten fold. I do like that it's not a Blackberry device though and to that extent easier to use.

Hope that helps somehow.

Cheers lads..that clears up a few things!

Unfortunitely im a symbian fan so ill stick to the p990i!i tried the blackberry pearl but the ui felt old and basic..maybe i didnt give it a chance.its a gorgeous looking phone though,had a bit of wow factor!

Pity to hear it slows it down,maybe thats only for the e50(please!).

The p990i is 3g and i have the 3g simcard so will i get 3g speeds with the blackberry apn?(i guessing yes)

...off to give o2 a buzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I have bb on my Nokia E61 - works fine if you accept the limitations of the bb service. Not sure about the p990 but the E61 also supports MS activesync push email which also works very well.

• Advertisement

Thanks for feedback.
    Im running activesync at the moment on the p990i..and yes it runs very well.
    Im interested in bb connect because of the unlimited internet,which would prove cost more effective than what i have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Used BB Connect on a few devices including E61 and Treo 750 and both times I scrapped it and went back to Blackberry. Only thing thats free is wap browsing and emails. If you do any standard website browsing, it uses the standard internet access point and data charges are ridiculous

By the way, I use an 8700 Blackberry on O2. Tried 7100, 7230 and 7290 before and prefer a QWERTY layout which is why I didnt go for the Pearl

Advertisement