Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Dell machine

• 03-05-2007 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

Just ordered this baby from Dell this morning. I haven't bought an up to date machine myself in a while and I was just wondering what people thought. I haven't decided if I want to use the Media Center ability in Vista Premium or just install my own copy of Media Center 2005. Anyone any idea which is best ?

Dimension E521 AMD X2 Processor 3600(1.9GHz,65KW)
    Memory Dual Channel 2GB (4x512MB) 533Mhz DDR2
    Hard Drive 160GB Serial ATA (7200 Rpm)
    DVD+/-RW (ReadWrite) 16X
    Video card Nvidia Geforce 7300 Turbocache 256MB DVI/VGA output with 1xS-Video Output
    Audio Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital capability
    English Windows Vista Home Premium

All that for only €341.70 :D

I'll be sticking a Wifi card and my own Hauppauge PVR150MCE into it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Go with Vista/Premium Media Centre if you run into any problems you can always use XP Media Centre.

Just be sure to update the display drivers & avoid K-Lite codec packs and the like stick to packs like CCCP for other video support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I just spoke to Dell and they don't know if the version ov Vista Home Premium is the 64bit or 32bit version thats being supplied with this machine. The AMD is a 64bit one, I can't see the point if it doesn't come with the 64bit software.

Does anyone know which one they are shipping ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

That is more than likely the 32 bit version.

CarefulNow wrote:
    That is more than likely the 32 bit version.

What the hell is the point in shipping all the E521's with 64bit cpu's and a 32bit OS !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

because 64bit os's are poo tbqh , crap driver support and its not any faster , not much use

• Advertisement

papu wrote:
    because 64bit os's are poo tbqh , crap driver support and its not any faster , not much use

MMmm suppose so. Might stick with the 32bit version then. A mate in work told me to avoid the 64bit versions like the plague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I use this machine at work, albeit slightly modified. Virus scans are a delight on it -- about 14 minutes every time in comparison to over an hour on my own P4 machine.

KTRIC, I think the E521 is aimed at businesses and VAT isn't included in prices. Would explain the low price.

ethernet wrote:
    I use this machine at work, albeit slightly modified. Virus scans are a delight on it -- about 14 minutes every time in comparison to over an hour on my own P4 machine.

KTRIC, I think the E521 is aimed at businesses and VAT isn't included in prices. Would explain the low price.

Good to hear about the proformance. And the price I quoted is including VAT and shipping , how's about those apples :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sansebastian

Don't suppose you've a link to where I could get that do you? Planning on ordering something next week and that looks like better value than what I was looking at

Don't suppose you've a link to where I could get that do you? Planning on ordering something next week and that looks like better value than what I was looking at

I rang them and talked to the sales department. I got €160 knocked off the list price on the site by haggling a bit. Not really a haggler and won't generally do it unless I know the product well. I couldn't believe it worked to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 sansebastian

Crap was hoping for a link so I could customize it a bit. Thanks anyway, hope you enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Crap was hoping for a link so I could customize it a bit. Thanks anyway, hope you enjoy it!
    Behold: http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&kc=D4XENT01&l=en&oc=D05E11A&rbc=D05E11A&s=bsd&sbc=iebsdftdppdesktop1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭wheatln2

#Elites wrote:
    Very nice deal you go tthere:)

Yup, a spec like that for a a price like that is awesome, good work on the haggling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

this machine is EX vat and delivery though??

APM wrote:
    this machine is EX vat and delivery though??

Read the thread, no it isn't . The price I had in my first post was including VAT and delivery.

I got the machine today and I'm very happy with it apart from the fact that Dell put the 128mb version of the vid card in it hoping I wouldn't notice. I'll have to call the tomorrow to get the one I ordered.

Advertisement