Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belkin Wireless Router

• 03-05-2007 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

I just moved into a house and it already had wireless broadband installed.

However about once a day my laptop disconnects from the network and won't reconnect until I restart the router and this happens to other users in the house. This happens in Windows and Linux on my laptop and on some of the other guys laptop but the computer connected directly to the router always has access.

Is there something wrong with the router or is there a way to fix this issue. There is no available firmware update for the router and it is using a WPA Personal encrypted network with TKIP.

Is it just a crappy router as has been suggested by some people in online review comments
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Belkin_Wireless_G_Plus_MIMO_Router/4852-3319_7-31489123.html?tag=uoavrg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Does this happen at a specific time of the day or at random times? Something could be causing the router to lock up. Either that or it's a crappy router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Its generally around 10-11 at night. Could one of the guys in the house downloading a bunch of torrents cause it? Or 3 or 4 people connecting up at once?

At least one of our neighbours has a wireless router aswell. Could it just be that we are using the same channel? There is also something called Maynooth.WAN in the are but I'm not sure what that is, maybe college wireless network but its pretty far away.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

brim4brim wrote:
    Its generally around 10-11 at night. Could one of the guys in the house downloading a bunch of torrents cause it? Or 3 or 4 people connecting up at once?

At least one of our neighbours has a wireless router aswell. Could it just be that we are using the same channel? There is also something called Maynooth.WAN in the are but I'm not sure what that is, maybe college wireless network but its pretty far away.

If you download netstumbler it will show you the channels that other wireless networks are using.

http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

Thanks, I'll try that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I think I'm experiencing the same problem with my Belkin router. The router will crash or freeze at apparently random times. All the lights will switch off apart from the power light.
    I have to plug it out and in. It's annoying as hell.
    I'm using the router directly wired but there are other users using the wireless.

Any other ideas or just, as mentioned, a rubbish router?

• Advertisement

I've fixed it or at least made it less bad or else it fixed itself.

If you set IP address to change to the minimum time, it stops requiring restarts. I've only had to restart it once since (two weeks). Don't know why that would effect it so much but there you go.

brim4brim wrote:
    I've fixed it or at least made it less bad or else it fixed itself.

If you set IP address to change to the minimum time, it stops requiring restarts. I've only had to restart it once since (two weeks). Don't know why that would effect it so much but there you go.

Hey, how would I do that?

JPA wrote:
    Hey, how would I do that?

Not entirely sure as I'm at work so can't look at it. Its in one of the first sections from the navigation menu on the right and its on the bottom of one of those pages.

brim4brim wrote:
    Not entirely sure as I'm at work so can't look at it. Its in one of the first sections from the navigation menu on the right and its on the bottom of one of those pages.

Can't seem to find it. :confused:
    If you could have a look later that'd be great. Thanks.

I've attached it to this screenshot. I've also highlighted the drop down and section you need to go to in red.

• Advertisement

Brilliant. Thanks.

Advertisement