Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wigan or West Ham

• 03-05-2007 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭

I see the Wigan chairman is up in arms , about West Hams not getting punished by points deduction -- i feal the fine was appropriate , and if West Ham stay up by earning eneogh points fair play -- it was a different administraion that signed the Argentians , besides Maschareno hardly played a game -- something fishy happened with the signings -- but relegation no -- i think it would be totally unjhustified.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

It's on SSN now, this could get messy.
    4-5 clubs thinking of a legal challenge to Premier League decision on West Ham...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

have to say, i feel the clubs are dead right to be unhappy about it. I'd say the premier league is praying to god that west ham get relegated anyway so all this can blow over! They really did bottle the decision though (the PL), although on the plus side, it was good to see a club being fined an proper sum of money as opposed to the shambolic fines they usually pick up! Just a shame that in this instance a fine wasn't enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

tbh, Westham were found to have broken the rules. they really should have had points deducted, goals and assists from Tevez have earned them a few points recently if i'm not mistaken, a legal challenge was inevitable after the ruling. tbh i'd by on Whelan's side on this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

They should have been deducted points. They played illegal players and broke the rules. Doesnt matter who is in charge.

Hopefully they are relegated anyway but if not I am sure whoever is will not let this lie.

The premier league have also set a precedent with this. If another club plays an illegal/player in the future they can do so knowing they will only receive a fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

bucks73 wrote:
    They should have been deducted points. They played illegal players and broke the rules. Doesnt matter who is in charge.

not sure of the exact legalities , and i know the transfer was messy , but it sounds like a mistake to me , because pretty quickly Tevez was given green light to play , Maschereno after time was allowed to go to the reds -- points deduction under those circumstances seam unfair , and appears other clubs are clinging to anything to keep them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Boro got docked points in 97, and ultimately went down.

West Ham should have got the same.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Out of curiosity, where does the £5.5 mill fine go?

If it goes to the FA...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

If it goes to the FA...
    Not too sure, but I'm pretty sure Sven Goran Erikssons contract says he's entitled to at least 75% of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

AFC Wimbelon got docked a huge amount of points for fielding an unregistered player.
    I think that will be the basis of Wigan et als case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

If it goes to the FA...

Maybe it'll pay off (a fraction of) the exorbiant cost of Wembley...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Now, let’s get something straight; what the ruling wasn’t about was the eligibility of Tevez or Mascherano to actually play for West Ham because of irregularities in their registration, which were found to be correct and in order. Tevez was not only cleared to play against Wigan, but also for the remaining games of the season for West Ham.

West Ham were found guilty of taking on players who were owned by a third party, i.e. their CONTRACTS were owned by neither one club nor the other, but by a company. In effect, what this means in terms of Premier League rules is that someone else could have had an influence over the players involved and direct them to effect the outcomes of matches. Match fixing in simple language. The ironic nature of this offence is that neither player, until recently when Tevez actually waded in with a few goals (2 of which have been as part of home defeats), actually contributed in a positive manner to the outcome of any games for West Ham, and in the case of Mascherano, didn’t actually play more than a few hours of football for us in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

thebaz wrote:
    not sure of the exact legalities , and i know the transfer was messy , but it sounds like a mistake to me , because pretty quickly Tevez was given green light to play , Maschereno after time was allowed to go to the reds -- points deduction under those circumstances seam unfair , and appears other clubs are clinging to anything to keep them up.

They withheld documents relating to the third party owners of the players for months and admitted to this fact. So they broke the rules and kept it from the Premier League on purpose. No innocent mistake there. It may have been the previous owners but rules are rules. If Wigan do go down I hope they take it to court as I cant see how the premier league have a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

PHB wrote:
    AFC Wimbelon got docked a huge amount of points for fielding an unregistered player.
    I think that will be the basis of Wigan et als case.
    Yeah but in the AFC Wimbledon case the amount of points docked was found to be ridiculous and was reduced to just 3.

Advertisement