Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Win XP wont let me share program files

• 03-05-2007 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

Im trying to share the program files on one of the pcs on my network. One program installs automatically onto the c:/program files/etc etc and it dosent give me the option to change it, for the program to work it must be a shared drive. I went into the sharing help file and it says the following:
    The Sharing option is not available for the Documents and Settings, Program Files, and WINDOWS system folders. In addition, you cannot share folders in other user's profiles.

I can share the c:drive and all the other files but inside the c:/drive the sharing option is greyed out for my documents and program files.

Surely you can auto bypass this????
    In windows 2000 you can share these files. Btw the 3 computers on my network have windows 2000, windows xp home and windows xp pro and there successfull networked other than i cant get at the program files on the 2 windows xp pc's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have Win XP Pro here in work and I just shared my Program Files directory with no problem. I wonder is it to do with Simple File Sharing?

In Windows Explorer, select Tools -> Options then in the View Tab scroll down and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing.

I can't think of anything else it could be at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You should be able to share the folder that the file is in within Program Files but you can't share all your program files directory usually.

I think its a home/pro difference. If it is then you should be able to get a hack for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Turned out that wasnt the problem and as you said i can share a program file within but just not the program file folder itself.

It dosent give me the option to use simple sharing as the original replier said but i think thats to do with different service packs, i have service pack 2 btw

Thanks Anyway

Advertisement