Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recovery truck cable management system

Options
  • 03-05-2007 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    myself and a couple of the lads are doing up a recovery truck. I have the job of wiring up al lthe beacons, spot lamps, trailer board socket, side markers, etc. It has a sliding bed to allow cars get up onto it. We have put an "A" frame on the bed of the truck to mount the beacon & spot lights, tial/stop/ind light. I need to be able to cable these back to power allowing for the bed's movement. There is a track system available to do this but one price we have gotten has it at over €750.
    Does anyone know where I might get prices for this tyoe of thing? Or has anyone any suggestions as to alternatives to using this track system?
    RecTruck.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It's called cable chain trunking, or, sometimes, energy chain trunking.

At the very least you can get it off Radionics www.radionics.ie or a local Edmundsen electrical wholesaler might be able to get it for you.

You buy it as links, and in different size to make up your chain.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Thanks for that, sometimes just knowing what the proper name is a big help. I reckon we should be out of it for €180 now which is a big difference!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

seeing as you saved Eu570, I'll settle for.............Eu285 :D

I think that's fair :p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Cheque in post.......

Well I'm stil a little confused there are so many options for doing this, I've let one of the lads off to do the sums, make the calls. He arrived back with an air horn last night, as if we didn't have enough to fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The main manufacturer of this stuff is IGUS. Search for it, you may even find it one eBAy.

Are you going to sell the truck afterwards ?

• Advertisement

Well I'm not sure whether it is going to be for sale or not. It's a 12 tonne job with a bar at the back.
    The initial plan is to use it locally, doing drop offs for local garages, using it for our own cars, etc. The lads all have full time jobs doing other things (not really related to the motor industry), well one of them has a good contact base through his job with the local garages so that might help.
    The truck has had a full respray with any rust removed etc. The heating had to be sorted (tired heater radiator requiring full dash out job), new side skirts made up from steel, new "A" frame (folded steel) attached to the bed to accommodate the beacons spots etc. It's now 50% wired up, we are doing a complete update of all the lights etc. including adding side markers, new rear lights, trailer board socket, reversing beeper, air horn, search lights, strobe lights up front, beacons front an rear, etc.

To be fair between us all we have doen everything ourselves including the steel folding, painting & wiring. It is looking pretty good. We have taken our time doing it in an effort to ensure we don't have to back track.

Hi, just thought some of you would be interested to know we got the cable management system up and running. We are almost there with the overhaul/upgrade. Here are some pics of the beast.

DSC00066-1.jpg

Cable Management system:

DSC00065-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Good stuff! Whats the fuel economy of that beast gonna be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Now thats a first for me - a recovery truck restoration!

Great stuff, must be nice knowing you collectively brought it back to it's former glory - even going one step further updating it's spec!

Hope your venture is a success!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Off topic but here's a little pic of my local wrecker.

• Advertisement

Towing cruise liners? :p

Coach/Bus/Truck recovery I take it - size of it! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Jeez I could do with one of them for towing the boats

JohnCleary wrote:
    Jeez I could do with one of them for towing the boats

not unless you've got a cruise liner ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

ciarsd wrote:
    not unless you've got a cruise liner ;)

I do have a mini cruise-liner in my bath

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I came across this a couple of years ago. Beefy looking machine :eek:
    dsc01805wl6.th.jpg dsc01803cv4.th.jpg
    The plonker in the artic was going too fast through the village (Paulstown, Co. Kilkenny) and jacknifed it when he had to brake suddenly due to a car in front making a turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,351 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice. Reminds me of that sequence somewhere in Ireland where a recovery truck, recovering a vehicle from a harbour, fell into the harbour itself, prompting the need for an even bigger recovery truck :D

Anyone remember / have a linky?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I remember that. Some asshat then poorly photoshopped the second recovery truck falling in in a haha-look-at-the-stupid-irish joke.

Here it is :)
    http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/crane.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 65,351 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's it! Thanks Stephen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Nice job Rebel !

Anyone ever see the unit that City Recovery in North Dublin use, a huge Petrbilt Rig......bright red & lots of Chrome.........looks fab !

So Rebel, would you be advertising your services ??? :D

Not advertising as I'm not in business, I'm only the hired (free) help. It's more of a hobby for us really.
    It might take off as a business but the lads all have days jobs at present.

• Advertisement
Advertisement