Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time 2nd May

Options
  • 03-05-2007 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Anyone see last nights prime time. Classic burn by Brian Cowen on Richard Bruton, went something like this,

Bruton: Exports are falling
    Cowen: How can you talk about exports, you are importing your election posters.
    Bruton: Ahhhhhh

Classic stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

patsyh wrote:
    Bruton: Exports are falling
    Cowen: How can you talk about exports, you are importing your election posters.
    Bruton: Ahhhhhh
    Such selective quoting :) The comeback from Bruton was something like

Bruton: I see Fianna Fail are endorsing partition now - they were made on the island of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

Such selective quoting :) The comeback from Bruton was something like

Bruton: I see Fianna Fail are endorsing partition now - they were made on the island of Ireland.

Sorry missed that was laughing so much, the face on Bruton. Anyway were they not made in germany??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's funny to see FFers clutching at straws..... You can tell they're getting desperate when they do a 360 on stamp duty, and then try and make an issue out of this kind of irrelevent crap! :D

Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I didn't see the program but I heard Bruton won the debate. If only on the back of his charisma.

Honestly not a FF'er, just thought it was funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Fair enough, didn't catch it myself. It's on the RTE website though.

ballooba wrote:
    I didn't see the program but I heard Bruton won the debate. If only on the back of his charisma.
    I actually though Biffo was better.
    Bruton looked less prepared.

The look on Biffo's face during VB's barrage at the manifesto launch today though was priceless.

I must look at it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Biffo is a sharp operator and I'd be surprised if he was upsurped by Bruton. Compare Biffo to Aherne who has to read everything off a script and shows the inner thug when asked questions he doesn't like. Biffo for Taoiseach eh?

Darwin wrote:
    Biffo for Taoiseach eh?
    Let me guess, you're a Laois Offaly voter? Always great to have a taoiseach in the area. :D

I can't really fault Biffo as a politician. Bertie really embarassed him today.

What I heard was that Biffo kept losing the rag and hence his delivery faltered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

I wouldn't agree that he lost the rag.

He stated that Fg had a pot of money labeled "other" and that the promises that they have made thus far would cost more than this amount in his "uncharismatic accountants manner".

What had the fantastic orator Bruton got to say about that; "no we havn't" more or less. I suppose at least he said it with charisma.

Jackz wrote:
    What had the fantastic orator Bruton got to say about that; "no we havn't" more or less. I suppose at least he said it with charisma.
    Well, I wouldn't say your leader has charisma but others would. What Bertie has taught us is that you can survive and do well in politics through charisma alone, especially if you're a *little* bit camp. ;)

I wouldnt say Richard Brutton is charismatic, I think he is very annoying, while cowen/Biffo/sugar lips is not as well polished as brutton he is one of the few who knows what he is talking about and qualified to do his job. You never see him reading of scripts like Bertie

I'll happily concede that.

Biffo is a rose among the thorns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Jackz wrote:
    beats the uncharismatic way we've seen FF people say it when, for example, we say "You've done a U-Turn on stamp duty." Maybe they could get the whole leadership to do an interview with Dobby? Onions all round...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

Charismatic is not a word I would apply to Bruton after seeing a portion of that debate. IMO, he comes across as a BS artist who wins a debate by talking the loudest and the most whether or not anyone else happens to be speaking first, like many Irish politicians. I find it infuriating behaviour, especially when the host does not intervene:mad: The only difference with him is his fluency and use of well-worded - but still very vague - statements.

Charisma is winning people over with your manner and speech, which he didn't do. I thought Cowen at least gave his opponent the space to speak and appears to speak with some frankness, that to me is more charismatic as I would have more time for his arguments. Is this too harsh on Bruton? Having said that I didn't watch the whole thing, just the last 10 minutes :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

ballooba wrote:
    I'll happily concede that.

Biffo is a rose among the thorns.

I wont concede so easily:D . Buffalo is arrogent, and while I dislike Bertie, at least he is charasmatic, Buffalo comes across as very boring and a believer in his own greatness, he reminds me of Grizzly Adams blames everyone, but never accepts that he may be even slighly wrong, and knows what all the problems are but doesnt know what the solutions are. It really is quite embarrassing for him going on and on about stamp duty and then Bertie decides to ignore him and FF did their spectacular u-turn on this issue. Biffo was talking about prudence and all that. He forgot to mention that FG and Labours figures were taken from Biffos own department(in relation to the economy and costings etc), and of course FFs uncosted pensions plan.

Advertisement