Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT BB Trouble - Should/Can i Cancell?

Options
  • 03-05-2007 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

So i ordered BB last year (yes its going on this long) just before xmass, check the order process in Jan - order was lost so a new one was issued for BB + Talk.

Roll on end feb/start march get letters to let me know im connected over to bt, should be recieving a modem soon etc....

Little bit later, still no working BB. On to BT, lots of noise on the line, we will get eircom to fix it. New phone point was installed and the problem looked at.
    This did improve the noise but still no BB.

On the phone again (i paid installation few and 2 months BB at this stage), same storey we'll get eircom to look at it.

This went on a few times from what i remeber.

Recently been on the phone again with tech sup of BT (quite helpfull and knew his stuff i have to say) explained what could be wrong etc, still some noise and still no BB after trying some things. Again eircom have to look at it.

They installed a new phone point nearer to where the wire comes into the house, checked the lines all was fine apparently. All but BB and still noise again.

I've even received a 2nd modem and flashed it's firmware that didnt help either.

On the phone monday (again) the guy is getting eircom to check the line again for faulths, initially they said it was internal hence new modem and new phone point.

While its highly anoying and all im not really in great hurry at the min to get BB (exams coming up).

Should or can i cancell the lot? I have enough reason to go so imo.
    Only thing is i paid close to 100euro for a service that i have yet to recieve, can i claim that back? If i cancell the direct debit do they still have ways of getting money of me?

Jozi

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jozi wrote:
    So i ordered BB last year (yes its going on this long) just before xmass, check the order process in Jan - order was lost so a new one was issued for BB + Talk.

Roll on end feb/start march get letters to let me know im connected over to bt, should be recieving a modem soon etc....

Little bit later, still no working BB. On to BT, lots of noise on the line, we will get eircom to fix it. New phone point was installed and the problem looked at.
    This did improve the noise but still no BB.

On the phone again (i paid installation few and 2 months BB at this stage), same storey we'll get eircom to look at it.

This went on a few times from what i remeber.

Recently been on the phone again with tech sup of BT (quite helpfull and knew his stuff i have to say) explained what could be wrong etc, still some noise and still no BB after trying some things. Again eircom have to look at it.

They installed a new phone point nearer to where the wire comes into the house, checked the lines all was fine apparently. All but BB and still noise again.

I've even received a 2nd modem and flashed it's firmware that didnt help either.

On the phone monday (again) the guy is getting eircom to check the line again for faulths, initially they said it was internal hence new modem and new phone point.

While its highly anoying and all im not really in great hurry at the min to get BB (exams coming up).

Should or can i cancell the lot? I have enough reason to go so imo.
    Only thing is i paid close to 100euro for a service that i have yet to recieve, can i claim that back? If i cancell the direct debit do they still have ways of getting money of me?

Jozi

In spite of all you have detailed above it is not clear to me if the line has actually been broadband enabled? Are BT claiming that you should have a BB signal on your line?

I am amazed at the attention you have received from Eircom without the problem being solved and it seems strange that each visit results apparently in the problem being solved but then it happens again.

Was there noise on the line before you applied for bb?

The problems I see with you cancelling are - if you have a genuine line issue you will have to start all over again with another provider - cancelling anything with BT can be fraught with danger - they are mindbogglingly incompetent in the accounts dept and other areas as you have already seen with your lost order ( a very common happening by the way)

With any normal company there should be absolutely no problem with getting your money back as you have not received the service you have paid (in advance) for - if you cancel your direct debit watch your account like a hawk!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

The BT guys have told me the line tests fine upto 5mb. There was a problem at the start i think where the line wasn't actually enabled from the exchange to the house but theyapparently fixed that.
    There was noise on the line right from the start when we where still with eircom.

There isnt actually any money in my account at all at the min and i dont think i can go below 0.

I'm waiting for a call back from of them to do with them issuing another fault for eircom to check. I think if nothing comes of it i'm likely to cancel, another reason being im looking at moving to a different place (dont even want to think about getting the line moved as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

What lights illuminate on your modem / router?

Shot in the dark, have you put the DSL splitters on the line? BT supply 2 or 3 splitters with the modem, from what I can remember. One for the modem and one or two for phones. Also make sure that you have the cables in the right way. Phone into the phone socket and DSL into the DSL socket of the splitter. I know this may sound stupid of me for saying, but you haven't mentioned any of this in your postings so far.

If you don't use those splitters, you WILL hear noise on phone calls with DSL enabled.

The noise ws there prior to getting BB as well. I'm using the splitter for the phone and BB, even without splitter and just the phone connected there's noise.

As for the modem all lights turn on when it get power then 1 by 1 they turn of and the power LED goes from red to blue, the DSL light never comes back on. The BT guys have been trough it all with me a few times now.

jozi wrote:
    The BT guys have told me the line tests fine upto 5mb. There was a problem at the start i think where the line wasn't actually enabled from the exchange to the house but theyapparently fixed that.
    There was noise on the line right from the start when we where still with eircom.

There isnt actually any money in my account at all at the min and i dont think i can go below 0.

I'm waiting for a call back from of them to do with them issuing another fault for eircom to check. I think if nothing comes of it i'm likely to cancel, another reason being im looking at moving to a different place (dont even want to think about getting the line moved as well).

If BT submit a direct debit and it has to be returned unpaid your bank will hit your account with a charge which is usually at least 10 euros - BT may also have an 'administration charge' for unpaid direct debits. If you bank charge puts you into the red that may result in another bank charge.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

whoah a bit. This is still a dodgy eircom line problem rather than a dodgy BT problem. Insist on a fix to the noise issue.

jozi wrote:

If you are thinking of moving bear in mind that if the bb is fixed you are in a minimum contract of six months. (Now given your current situation when that might be deemed to have started would perplex the minds of Plato and Sophocles and others I am sure!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Check your plug, wires in house.
    Got different plugs ? Try them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

dub45 wrote:
    If BT submit a direct debit and it has to be returned unpaid your bank will hit your account with a charge which is usually at least 10 euros - BT may also have an 'administration charge' for unpaid direct debits. If you bank charge puts you into the red that may result in another bank charge.
    why do banks charge you for unpaid direct debits when you know you don't have the money to pay?

why do banks charge you for unpaid direct debits when you know you don't have the money to pay?

It is one of the ways that banks make very large profits every year!

• Advertisement

Was at home all weekend, came back yesterday and the little
    dsl light was nice and green. And so i now finally have BB only a few months later.

Advertisement