Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears

Options
  • 03-05-2007 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭

i have a raleigh mtb , not sure on type,

the gears in the middle(at peddles) have refused to work!! the wire for them wont move at all, any one ever expirienced same or know how to fix it, its stuck on the small ring and wont go to the other two but will still cycle grand(its the wire from the bars down to it i think, bit of oil maybe??)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭danyosan

A bit of oil wont do it any harm thats for sure!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

timmywex wrote:
    i have a raleigh mtb , not sure on type,
    the gears in the middle(at peddles) have refused to work!! the wire for them wont move at all, any one ever expirienced same or know how to fix it, its stuck on the small ring and wont go to the other two but will still cycle grand(its the wire from the bars down to it i think, bit of oil maybe??)
    Check the control cable for the front changer for frayed strands. Also examine the inside of the change lever for obstructions that might be stopping it. Then look at the change mechanism above the chainwheel and see if there is muck/dirt/stones that might be jamming it.

If all else fails, remove the control cable, oil it and put it back, assuming you don't find any damage after you've removed it.

Also, when you remove the control cable, I'd expect the front changer to jump to the inside (small ring) position unless it's jammed by something (see above).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds like a cable problem. When you pull the lever can you see a coresponding movement at the front mech? Maybe the cable has come adrift at the lever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

thanks lads, i'll try them few things

Advertisement