Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Fine Gael Doomed

Options
2»

Comments

ballooba wrote:
    I take it you'll be supporting Lucinda Creighton for justice this time round then. :D

Not at all, Barry Andrews in the single party Government...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Not at all, Barry Andrews in the single party Government...;)
    That your joke of the day. ;)

Neither Andrews nor O'Callaghan will be in the 30th Dáil. Being all the way down in Kerry, I wouldn't expect you to know that. Fianna Fail have shot themselves in both feet in DSE.

ballooba wrote:
    O'Callaghan

Who?
    ballooba wrote:
    DSE.

Where?

Who?
    Unfortunately for Andrews the voters of DSE know exactly who he is and he is doing very well on the doorsteps. I had a letter in the door today from Eoin Ryan claiming to be right behind BOTH* candidates. The dogs on the street know that Ryan is favouring Andrews and has drafted in reinforcements from Brussels to help him.

*Ryan's emphasis btw, not mine. :D
    Where?
    Dublin South East, one of the main swing constituencies. Among it's residents are Lucinda Creighton, Ruari Quinn, John Gormley, Eoin Ryan, Michael McDowell, Jim O'Callaghan, Chris Andrews.... oh and me too.

4 seats but only one quota for FF. The writing is on the wall.

Whoops, I just realised you were talking about Chris' cousin Barry.

Another of Ryan's protege.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

ballooba wrote:
    Fianna Fail have shot themselves in both feet in DSE.

Forgive my ignorance balloba but what exactly have Feel and Fail done in DSE that makes you say what you said. I mean apart from not delivering on a load of promises that have been recycled for this election and they say that they will do in the next 5 years that they failed to do in the last 10, is there anything else that has contributed to their downfall there. Feel and Fails vote has collapsed in Cork North Central for instance(because they delivered absolutely nothing for CNC in the past 5 years), they may not even get two seats there(Bernard Allens and Kathleen Lynches seats are said to be safe and Fine Gaels Gerry Kelly is said to be polling well and has a good chance of getting us a second seat there at Feel and Fails expense, its a bit of a long shot I admit, but if Kelly doesnt get in he wont have been far off getting a seat so I'm told) in the words of one person I know who is in Feel and Fail ''we're f***ed''(in relation to CNC and actually overall)

They have split a single quota pretty much equally between two candidates. In doing so they have left the door open for Creighton to sneak in.

balloba wrote:
    They have split a single quota pretty much equally between two candidates. In doing so they have left the door open for Creighton to sneak in.
    It seems that Feel and Fail have their uses after all:D

Lucinda is a fantastic candidate anyway. She gave a very polished performance on the 'Prime Time Late Debate' last night(In the interests of being fair and as unbiased as I posssibly can be I will point out that she was up against some fool of a Feel and Failer and a Shinner,so it wasnt exactly difficult for her). She and Maireád Mc Guiness are 2 of the finest politicians we(FG) have IMO.

By the way its every man for himself and feck the transfers in Cork South Central with the Feel and Failers, a sure sign that they are in trouble in these parts.

And Lucinda is only 27. Do you think i'd be in with a shot at the title? ;)

I like the older women. The election posters don't do her justice at all.

Balloba I take it that Lucinda should get in comfortably. She deserves to. IIRC she did very well in the locals in 04. And what about Brody Sweeny? I'd imagine he has a good chance. Or has he?

• Advertisement

E92 wrote:
    Balloba I take it that Lucinda should get in comfortably.
    The only thing we have to fear is complacency. ;)

To be honest Lucinda's seat is nowhere near guaranteed. Her team are putting in a sterling effort to give her the best chance.

Fianna Fail are helping out where they can too of course.

Well I certainly wouldnt want to be complacent now would I, otherwise I'd have inherited a Feel and Fail trait:) . I was only making the suggestion based on what I have heard. After all the opinion polls traditionally under estimate FG and over estimate FF, but they were right in 2002, and I'd nearly say that FG on 31% is too high, and in the thread that mentioned us being on 31% a short while back, I said that we couldnt get carried away, but the trend is certainly going our way, so I hope to God we'll get in, and I think we have a good chance.

E92 wrote:
    Well I certainly wouldnt want to be complacent now would I, otherwise I'd have inherited a Feel and Fail trait:) . I was only making the suggestion based on what I have heard.
    Wasn't suggesting you were. Need a good show on the 24th. Hopefully the dodgy election date won't cause too much upset.

I thought it was very ironic when Bertie said(on Sunday) that he hoped that there would be a good turnout on the election day, and then has it on a Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Dandesav

Shatter is an actual barrister, and has years and years of legal training and real world experience. Who bleedin cares what he looks like on a poster. Its people like him we need in the dail, writing and amending laws. People who have a clue about what is going on in the legal world..

I'm in Dublin South, but I did not vote for Shatter last time, for no real reason tbh. But he will be getting a 1 or 2 from me this time, as I think you need smart blokes like him in the dail to counter the Jackie Healy rae's of this world :)

At last someone with a bit of sense!!
    This is my first election (I turned 18 in September) and he'll definitely be getting my No.1. He has one of the best records of any TD and he's the kind of person so lacking in the Dáil!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Election posters matter, the irritating stuff we get in the door matters, the visits to schools to hand out stickers matter, calling to doors matter.

One of the most talked about aspects of the 2002 campaign is Mc Dowell up a pole putting up election posters - when I last checked he was a brilliant lawyer too - doesn't make most people like him.

I have heard people say they voted for someone cos they called to the door while I just find that irritating.

A nine year old I know is very excited cos our local councillor called to his school - he has told his parents, his neighbours and me and counting - its called name recognition.

Some people follow Dáil performance, political ability etc etc etc etc

Others care that someone is good crack and knows their football and went to the voters grannys funeral etc etc etc

Its a hugely complex issue winning elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Badabing wrote:
    She's Dublin mid west and i think lives in Newcastle.

She is Mid West but she lives in D4 - another world. SHE doesn't spend hours on the N4 or the N7 but claims to represent the people who do. Hmmmmm....:rolleyes:

Advertisement