Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish language website

Options
  • 03-05-2007 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I've got a small nixer to do a website and as part of it, they want to show a sort of 'welcome to our site' thing on the homepage in english and polish. All well and good, except that they want this to be cms'd. So I'm just wondering about special characters in a textbox inside some sort of admin function. I don't know how they'd enter special characters in, how they'd save (to a mysql varchar field, probably) or how they'd appear on the front end.

Any tips, hints and links about this sort of thing would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

Are you designing the CMS or is it a pre-built one? The SQL database should be able to handle 'foreign' characters to any variable/column that's declared as a string type (or var type char) but a pre-built CMS may strip/replace these characters into a Latin language set. The textarea will handle the characters fine as long as the document type has been set with the appropriate language set (i.e. Polish or English) and the keyboard they are using supports the characters (either natively as a key on the board or as ALT + #### where #### is a number).

Probably not much help but if you have any other Q's feel free to just PM

-RD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I found a list of # values that seems to cover the basic special characters, so I'm just going to put them on the screen when the user is entering text, so that they can click directly on them to add them to textbox or copy them in by hand. Probably not ideal, but this an Irish company with sparse Polish text, so I'm not going to go too far out of my way.

Advertisement