Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE - best soccer analysis and coverage?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

eirebhoy wrote:
    I haven't a clue how to answer that tbh as I don't know where the question came from.

came from this...
    eirebhoy wrote:
    To be honest if I watched RTE on Wednesday I would have switched off at the first mention of Ronaldo, it's getting tiresome.

implies to me you didn't watch it. (edit: also implies to me that you don't watch it on a regular basis either in that you have a tendency to switch it off as soon as the subject comes up)
    eirebhoy wrote:
    As for Sky's ads, interviews, stats or whatever. What do RTE offer? 15 minutes chat about Man Utd/Ronaldo and why they're not a great team. 2 minutes on 1 player from the opposing team. A look back at highlights from the previous night or first leg. Probably rob an interview from their "colleagues on ITV". All crap that I couldn't be interested in. Don't get me started on the frustration of having to watch them when Celtic are playing.

at least the RTÉ boys try to get a meaningful discussion going. Sky's stuff is still just filler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

came from this...

implies to me you didn't watch it. (edit: also implies to me that you don't watch it on a regular basis either in that you have a tendency to switch it off as soon as the subject comes up)
    I didn't watch it until I saw it on youtube. The Ronaldo debate has very little to do with any points I've been making btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i've given my opinion on the lads about 10 times already so won't bother again (all been mentioned already here, basically all in all i like em).

Just a quick point on Ronaldo. What i think it is they dont like about him isnt the silky skills, its the parts of the game that are changing for the worse, diving, complaining, passing the buck, basically taking a lot of the masculinity out of the game. Now i think they dont even see the player so much anymore, i feel they just see him as an embodiment of the parts of the game they dont like, which is very unfair as he has actually been much better for leaving this stuff out of his game this year, not totally, but much improved, stays on his feet more often then not when he can now. Have to say i respect him much more as a person now. Robben would be my pick for the embodiment of what is wrong, so much skill but no change in his horrible attitude to the way he plays his football. Nothing i dislike more then when good players flail around on the ground, fall over at the slightest shoulder challenge etc, just looks so pathetic and makes me kind of ashamed to love the sport so much. And i say the same for my own team, hate when Luis garcia does his antics, though he's generally not too bad, but can be sickening at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

eirebhoy wrote:
    I didn't watch it until I saw it on youtube. The Ronaldo debate has very little to do with any points I've been making btw.

i mean in general. by the sounds of it you don't watch them at all, so i'm just wondering how you could have formed an opinion on them.

in general i'm just kinda curious as to how much of the people who dislike them actually watch of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I mean you said it yourself earlier you used to like them but there bias has turned you off, its not bias its the truth its just because you are a Man U fan that you find it hard to stomach.

I don't think this is the case , Maybe they have changed the record lately I wouldn't know as I don't watch them any more. I don't need Giles or anyone else to tell me if a player is good or bad. I have seen enough of both to be able to tell for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

the reason they are focusing on Ronaldo is that he is the topic of the day. practically every single thread on this forum about manu's performances singles out Ronaldo in some aspect, whether he was good bad etc... they are just satisfying the public interest.

My point was that they do it EVERY time they play and he underperforms, there's no need to constantly highlight their opinion when it suits them. Plus they never actually single him out when he plays well. Its not really the lad's fault that hes overhyped. Heck i don't even rate him too highly but i don't need to go on about each and every time he plays. Without him United wouldn't be winning the league and they seem to forget that which isn't very good analysis! Their meaningful discussions are just over the top rants most of the time. They'd be fine if they'd tone it down a bit and become more sensible, how three men can complain so much is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

The Muppet wrote:
    I don't need Giles or anyone else to tell me if a player is good or bad. I have seen enough of both to be able to tell for myself.

Exactly, they spend way too much time doing that rather than actually analysing the game. Match of the day 2 was my favourite for that with the guest managers' opinions and strauchan's view being excellent in particular.

Advertisement