Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneaky drivers on Dock Rd

Options
  • 03-05-2007 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed while driving up Dock Rd, in left lane for Salthill, that some drivers will take the right turn at Sheridan's? Then suddenly they will appear again around the corner, across from the new museum, wanting to get back in line again - only further ahead. They think it'll save them a minute or so skipping the queue. This has been rubbing me for a while but then today I noticed maybe three, four fancy cars turning right at Sheridan's and as I was at the corner I saw them all forcing their way in front of an old Fiat to get ahead at rush hour.

This is the same as the cars taking the right lane around the corner and then, in front of BKs, trying to get into left lane. :mad:
    /rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Anytime I see this I just refuse point blank to let them in-front of me, be ignorant if you have to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Its been happening for years, not much you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 bcloh

True it has been happening for years, and really they are doing nothing wrong, but it is a pain in the rear to see them doing it.
    Not as bad (I believe) as watching the teapots racing through Dunnes in Terryland and then going all the way round the roundabout to go over the bridge, just to sit there for another 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Flip em the bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's just the smugness I rebel at: "Hehe, I'll turn the corner and then rejoin the queue. The others won't know I skipped it". *pats self on back*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

I hate to say it, but they're doing absolutely nothing wrong. People don't have to make it easy for them to get out, but letting it get to you, when you do nothing about stopping all the really terrible Galway drivers seems a little strange to me.
    [RANT]
    Actually, as someone who's lived in Galway for the last 10 years, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Galway drivers are really bad. Not typical Irish driver bad, but in a class much worse than most other citys. It get's particularly bad around the Solemn Novena (some of the driving I saw then would scare you off the road).
    Things that Galway drivers do that they really shouldn't:
    1. Turning right from the left lane on a roundabout
    2. Never using indicators except to confuse other road users
    3. Turning two lanes into one (seriously, your car isn't that wide)
    4. Stopping at every roundabout (you only stop when you have to, not when it would be safe to go)
    5. Crawling away at lights, or waiting until they turn amber
    It's not that the rest of the country doesn't do the same, just that one is less likely to see this happen anywhere else.
    [/RANT]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I use the right lane on the docks, but it's because I'm always heading for Flood Street. I have had a few oddballs trying to block me from doing it, though.

As for the left lane/right turn, that really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

new thing as well, coming home in the evening by the airport heading towards carnmore cross. i turn right at crossroads headin towards oranmore. if there is any kind of traffic at all . people start using the hard shoulder as another lane to get up to the crossroads to turn left. i mean way back before the airport. it only takes one flute and the rest follow like sheep.
    some of them pretend they are goin to the shop and just drive thru by the pumps out the other side:mad: :mad: :mad: where are the guards

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

nastysimon wrote:
    I hate to say it, but they're doing absolutely nothing wrong. People don't have to make it easy for them to get out, but letting it get to you, when you do nothing about stopping all the really terrible Galway drivers seems a little strange to me.
    [RANT]
    Actually, as someone who's lived in Galway for the last 10 years, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Galway drivers are really bad. Not typical Irish driver bad, but in a class much worse than most other citys. It get's particularly bad around the Solemn Novena (some of the driving I saw then would scare you off the road).
    Things that Galway drivers do that they really shouldn't:
    1. Turning right from the left lane on a roundabout
    2. Never using indicators except to confuse other road users
    3. Turning two lanes into one (seriously, your car isn't that wide)
    4. Stopping at every roundabout (you only stop when you have to, not when it would be safe to go)
    5. Crawling away at lights, or waiting until they turn amber
    It's not that the rest of the country doesn't do the same, just that one is less likely to see this happen anywhere else.
    [/RANT]

To be honest that's a load of cack. People do those things all over the country. Galway drivers aren't genetically different from drivers from Ennis, Castlebar or Dublin.

Driving standards are pretty much the same throughout the country....terrible.

To be honest that's a load of cack. People do those things all over the country. Galway drivers aren't genetically different from drivers from Ennis, Castlebar or Dublin.

Not really. Galway is worse than most. There are worse again. Cork and Dublin drivers seem to be a little more clued in.
    During the Solemn Novena, I have seen many people who obviously rely on devine intervention to get from A to B. Things like mounting a high curb at 50+km/h and continuing on like nothing happened. The number of people I have seen going the wrong way around a roundabout, or reversing around one is scarey. And as bad as other places are for not indicating around roundabouts, Galway is just that much worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Hands up..... I have to say, I do that. Not in a smug way though. Just know it will be quicker. I know it is cheeky but it's not doing anything wrong. And I don't have a big flash car.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

nastysimon wrote:
    Not really. Galway is worse than most. There are worse again. Cork and Dublin drivers seem to be a little more clued in.
    During the Solemn Novena, I have seen many people who obviously rely on devine intervention to get from A to B. Things like mounting a high curb at 50+km/h and continuing on like nothing happened. The number of people I have seen going the wrong way around a roundabout, or reversing around one is scarey. And as bad as other places are for not indicating around roundabouts, Galway is just that much worse.

Yawn.

The amount of people you've seen going wrong way around roundabout? Bullsh!t. In 32 years in Galway, and from what I can remember, the first roundabout built here was in 1984 for the opening of the Quincentenary Bridge, I have seen that happen once, and it was a drunk driver. Reversing around a roundabout? You are full of shoite.

soundbyte wrote:
    Yawn.

The amount of people you've seen going wrong way around roundabout? Bullsh!t. In 32 years in Galway, and from what I can remember, the first roundabout built here was in 1984 for the opening of the Quincentenary Bridge, I have seen that happen once, and it was a drunk driver. Reversing around a roundabout? You are full of shoite.
    I can remember 5, 3 of which happend on the Quincentenial Bridge roundabout (1 reversing, 2 the wrong way), 2 on the Bohermore roundabout (1 reversing, they found themselves in stopped traffic and wanted to take a different exit, and 1 going the wrong way, judging by the car, it was a young bloke showing off to his mates). Of course, just because you didn't see these incidents happen, you probably won't believe me about these either. But, until you have a bit more proof than not having experienced these things, please refrain from saying I am "full of shoite" or otherwise calling me a liar.

I hate to say it because it means agreeing with nastysimon, but Thursday I saw a guy in an MPV coming out of the Statoil at Cemetary Cross on the Sean Mulvoy Road side and turning right to get onto the roundabout against the 2 lanes of traffic!

It wasn't a Galway reg'd car (I know that that doesn't prove/disprove anything about where the driver is from, but nastysimon somehow doesn't realise that a huge number of the drivers in Galway are holidaymakers, not locals).

(or Mayomen!!!) :)

Hands up..... I have to say, I do that. Just know it will be quicker.

Yeah those vital two minutes that make such a big difference to everyones day............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Instead of whining about it why dont you just do it yourself? It's not illegal and its faster. How much faster is irrelevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

I mentioned this before on a thread about roundabouts..... drives me ape cause I'm on that road every day home from work, I did it once or twice but I felt guilty....... not I grit my teeth when I see people do it and Ive been in traffic, waiting patiently ages....they literally THROW themselves infront of you at the museum almost crashing your car.

There is a way to prevent it, and its to put an island between the twi lanes like they do in the states..... concrete walls or those red and white things they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

i met a fella one night comin up the oranmore bypass on the wrong side headin for me. i was like:confused: there is something wrong here? ,why are there headlights facing me. no bull sh1t . i met an old one one day at the roundabout by the community centre goin the wrong way.i remember seein two ladys goin round eyre square the wrong way few years ago, twas rather funny:D

DRakE wrote:
    Instead of whining about it why dont you just do it yourself? It's not illegal and its faster. How much faster is irrelevant

Patience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Drivers used to bypass the whole road by going along the dock quays until the harbour authority sectioned it off a few years back

Garda Traffic Watch 1890 205805

• Advertisement

DRakE wrote:

Dya know whats even faster? If you're gonna be turning right after wolfe tone bridge (Towards domnick street) then stay in the right hand lane, up past Revenue, Cactus Jacks, left at Cross street and down Domnick street.

33% quicker, FACT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

new thing as well, coming home in the evening by the airport heading towards carnmore cross. i turn right at crossroads headin towards oranmore. if there is any kind of traffic at all . people start using the hard shoulder as another lane to get up to the crossroads to turn left. i mean way back before the airport. it only takes one flute and the rest follow like sheep.
    some of them pretend they are goin to the shop and just drive thru by the pumps out the other side:mad: :mad: :mad: where are the guards

have to admit i do this but not as far back as the petrol pumps!! maybe after the last house or two cos im always afraid some1 will drive out on me...but them lights are so slow to change so otherwise have to wait aes to cross lanes. same coming from claregalway, I waited to cross over into other lane to turn right down past airport and the lights changed just as i got there.saw all the cars i was behind drive on straight ahead and i had to wait ages to go again...wished i had overtook em all earlier and made the green light!!

but what really gets to me is coming out the tuam rd into claregalway. your there sittnig in traffic and you see cars using the hard shoulder thinkn their gona be turning off to the left down one of the little roads like cahergowan etc.. and then the cheeky feckers pull into the first free space in the traffic...having just skipped a load of cars! that gets riht up my nose...and its mostly MO reg cars too..."Move Over" drivers as we say in Claregalway :p think they own that road!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I never let them in if I know what they've done. Problem is, some dozy mare in a Hyundai will always let them in.

Just 15 mins ago I saw a guy in a gold Merc SUV 06-G-xx force himself onto the Spanish Parade road. A guy on a scooter almost ploughed into him as he just came out and stopped, hindering all traffic, no indicators nothing, wanting to squeeze into left lane for Salthill. Feckin moron...

JohnCleary wrote:
    Dya know whats even faster? If you're gonna be turning right after wolfe tone bridge (Towards domnick street) then stay in the right hand lane, up past Revenue, Cactus Jacks, left at Cross street and down Domnick street.

33% quicker, FACT!
    Heh I'm have to time this now :D

JohnCleary wrote:

33% quicker, FACT!

Unless you get stuck behind all the taxis blocking Cross St or illegally parked on O'Briens Bridge, causing people to drive into oncoming traffic (not forcing, but people always try to bully their way through there, especially other taxis!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

It can be much worse than that... trust me

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If your coming up that docks road and your turning into those apartments across from pariceens pub/harbor bar (or whatever it's called) d'ya think it's ok to go up the right line and try and turn in once your at the turnoff. When ever I'm goin up there the right lane is empty and I'm stuck in the salthill traffic.

ScumLord wrote:
    If your coming up that docks road and your turning into those apartments across from pariceens pub/harbor bar (or whatever it's called) d'ya think it's ok to go up the right line and try and turn in once your at the turnoff. When ever I'm goin up there the right lane is empty and I'm stuck in the salthill traffic.

Nothing wrong with it as such but you might find that no one will want to let you in as they think you're just trying to cut the Q, and then you'll have traffic building up behind you

• Advertisement

Fey! wrote:
    Unless you get stuck behind all the taxis blocking Cross St or illegally parked on O'Briens Bridge, causing people to drive into oncoming traffic (not forcing, but people always try to bully their way through there, especially other taxis!!!).

Fair enough, but i've only seen Taxi's causing a problem there at night time, and at night time there's no traffic on the Dock Rd anyhow.

Anytime I do that manouver it's around 5-6PM and not too many Taxi's there

Advertisement